Vancouver Train Expo 2016

Re: Vancouver Train Expo 2016

Postby CFRiad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:43 am

ConducTTor wrote:Why do tablecloths have to be used? Is it just for looks? Would it be terrible without them? I'm genuinely curious what you guys think about this.

It is mostly for looks. Marquette put it best:
Marquette wrote:I think the tablecloths help in that if they're on tables no two tables are gonna really look exactly the same on the surface and that distracts the eye. The tablecloths give uniformity which kinda forces the eye to the modules.

Beside this, it's the storage: empty boxes, equipment not currently in use, the electrical guts, personal items and sundry bits all sit tucked under the tables and are covered by the tablecloths. It is also a security thing, as we keep there laptop bags, backpacks and suchlike...
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:55 am

Marquette wrote:Someone on Sunday suggested a U-shaped setup... I'd suggest this is something we should consider - U, T, L, F or some other sort of arrangement that has an open end. It doesn't even have to be a broad opening, just something two operators can get around in and in/out of without having to crawl under tables...

dileTTante wrote:If the TT Tracks layout had, for example, an extra return loop it could be arranged in a U-shape with an open end, or a C shape with an open side.

This would by all means make the display more interesting. Get building inside corners guys...

But...
Marquette wrote:It doesn't even have to be a broad opening, just something two operators can get around in and in/out of without having to crawl under tables...

dileTTante wrote:Then the wasted space in the middle could be accessed without ducking under a table, and operators could be free to get to any part of the layout and be free to be inside or outside to chat with visitors. Other configurations, not just this one, could be tried also.

This doesn't solve our problem of the public interfering with the operation. If an operator can access the space without crawling under the table, so can the public. So we are back to where we started...

... but...

... with a much more interesting display. Again, guys, the magic words are: Inside Corners.
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CN-TT » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:45 am

Hey Boss, it's time for you to come to the pacific northwest with your two loops!!! The next show is in March! :wave:

Let's talk TT-Tracks in the TT-Tracks thread!?
CN-TT

Postby Richard-B » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:02 pm

CFRiad wrote: <snip>... with a much more interesting display. Again, guy, the magic words are: Inside Corners.
I wholeheartedly agree with this.
A 'U" shape (plus reversing loop tail) provides twice as many train-spotting opportunities from the same viewing position.

It is a telling observation that many of our table-height fans turned away if all the trains ended-up on the far side of the display.

There are now enough modules that it is taking a significant amount of time to do a lap... and attention spans are demonstrably limited.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:24 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:I will post an updated map of the display as it deviated a bit from the plan.

Here is a plan of the layout as it was setup.
2016 Vancouver Train Expo Version Submitted.jpg
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:30 pm

CFRiad wrote:
Marquette wrote:Someone on Sunday suggested a U-shaped setup... I'd suggest this is something we should consider - U, T, L, F or some other sort of arrangement that has an open end. It doesn't even have to be a broad opening, just something two operators can get around in and in/out of without having to crawl under tables...

dileTTante wrote:If the TT Tracks layout had, for example, an extra return loop it could be arranged in a U-shape with an open end, or a C shape with an open side.

This would by all means make the display more interesting. Get building inside corners guys...

... with a much more interesting display. Again, guy, the magic words are: Inside Corners.

So here is a slightly updated drawing of an L shape:
2016 inside corner study.jpg

I tried to keep the number of special pieces to a minimum.
This uses two standard corners. The Two Modules proposed to move the track to the back of the module, and two special pieces to make things line up. The two special pieces appear to be BG2. More careful planning is needed to firm up these numbers.

So doable with four new useable modules and only two special pieces.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:36 pm

A full U shape requires more modules.
2016 U study.jpg

Here is a U shaped end with our last VTE display grafted onto the end.
I also put it on tables to see how practical it would be to setup.

This requires four new corners, the two module pair and four special adapter pieces.
Again doable but requires six new modules (four corners and a pair of module) and four adapter pieces.

After work today, I am going to re do the diagram with the staging yard and return loop turned 90 degree towards the main layout.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CN-TT » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:53 pm

Here is another video with the TT layout.
CN-TT

Postby CFRiad » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:32 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:A full U shape requires more modules.

How 'bout this?
Tibi_sAwesomelyBrightIdea.png
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:48 pm

CN-TT wrote:Hey Boss, it's time for you to come to the pacific northwest with your two loops!!! The next show is in March! :wave:

Let's talk TT-Tracks in the TT-Tracks thread!?

That's a hell of a drive....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events