Vancouver Train Expo 2016

Re: Vancouver Train Expo 2016

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:26 pm

CN-TT wrote:
I have a question to our North American members here: If there is no sign that says "Please, do NOT touch!" does this automatically mean "Go on, feel free to touch everyting that is within your reach!" ??? It sometimes felt we were in a hands-on museum. And I'm not only talking about kids. Even adults thought they were supposed to or allowed to touch every switch, our Wifi tablet or other parts of the display. When we told them not to, they really said "Oh, I thought it was meant to be touched!?" I'm just wondering!?!

With my portable layout I always put plexi on it. A bit of a pain but better than people messing with my models.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:27 pm

And to think that only six years ago it was

http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:33 pm

I was just thinking about how massive the whole shebang has gotten.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:23 pm

Marquette wrote:And to think that only six years ago it was

Was the first setup at Western Rails in 2010 or 2009?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:43 pm

CN-TT wrote:It was a good and very busy show for us :thumbup:

I have a question to our North American members here: If there is no sign that says "Please, do NOT touch!" does this automatically mean "Go on, feel free to touch everyting that is within your reach!" ??? It sometimes felt we were in a hands-on museum.

I think the modern generation is very "Touchy-Feelie". A simple "Please Do No Touch" sign will cure much of the problem. Of course there are those who think the rules do not apply to them, or whose parents do not care. For them PlexiGlass fronts on special modules will help.

Setting up poles and ropes around the display means probably less stress but also means more material to haul. That is not really a good option.

You are right, more stuff to haul and setup and store. If the poles and stands are heavy enough to stand up properly, they are too heavy to carry. And the public pushes them in or knocks them over or trips on them.

Moving the tables so there is more space in front of the modules as has been suggested, will help.

The electric toggle switches should be disguised or removed from the front or covered or replaced be key lock switches or vulnerable areas can be equipped with clear acrylic screens in the front.

The control switches should be at the back side of the module, in line with the turnout or crossover they are controlling.
We need to establish a standard as to which way the switch is thrown to match the turnout aspect.
I would suggest that "right" or "front" is for the through aspect of the turnout (usually the straight route) and left or back is the diverging route.

To stop inadvertent switch throwing if you put a push button in the circuit mounted on another portion of the module, such that after throwing the control switch, the switch machine did not throw until the button was pushed and held down, that would reduce problems without adding too much complexity.

Hide the toggle switches behind bushes and paint them to reduce their visibility. Put the push button behind a bush or fence.

There is one more thing we should consider for future shows. If only one guy is running the display, there should be only one train running on the inner circle and one train on the outer circle. If we would like more trains to be running, we need more guys and more throttles. And one train should be assigned to one specific throttle and one real human engineer.

Yesterday I shot a short video before the crowd came in. Unfortunately the quality is not very good due to the not so good lighting in the hall.

Nothing wrong with the video. Good shots of trains and scenery.
The new hopper cars shows up nicely in the mixed train.
We seem to like tank cars. I need to convert some more Maisto cars. They are a bit small but they look good.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
Marquette wrote:And to think that only six years ago it was

Was the first setup at Western Rails in 2010 or 2009?

14 March 2010
the-first-north-american-tt-meet-canada-style-t539-10.html
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:14 pm

More thoughts.

Damage to modules. Some of these modules have been around a while.

Somewhere between Indy and now, the city corner lost a crossing gate. It is the inside one so no biggie.

One of the staging yard ladder turnouts lost a point rail so we couldn't use the back track. I will make a new point rail or more likely just replace the switch.

Some of the road scenery on the city corner is peeling off. Will repair over the winter.

I had hoped to have two new modules ready for this show but only got one done.
20161106new_module.jpg

This is one of the two laser cut modules I had made for me. The track was recycled from a straight foam module so I have an empty carcass for now. It may be cutup and reused as adapter modules if I ever build the larger corners I was contemplating.
It has the Model Power "N-Scale" station on it. The hedges were added to break up the basic flat front. I am going to do different field treatments on the three different sections. The platform the station is on needs to be extended to the back edge of the module. Some cars will be parked there. The station needs signage, some people, and I think basic interior illumination would help.
The flag pole with the Red Ensign will be moved to the centre of the right area behind the track with a pathway to it and around it.

The second module was to be a crossover module with FastTracks turnouts but I forgot that I only have a code 55 #6 Turnout module. To be able to run everything that we currently run it should use code 70 rail. I will have to buy a new jig for that. As FastTracks now has a #8 jig, I am going to buy one of those as soon as the $$ are available.

As I was working the store at the show both days, I did not get much time at the display. Not unusual for this show.
I will be able to make more time at Western Rails next March, Chilliwack (if we do it) in October and at BCSME setups. I have been asked if we want to come back and display a time or two at BCSME. Maybe. We will discuss this next year.

I did a walk around of the whole layout Sunday morning taking pictures of all the modules. I may post them and a bit of history about the modules if i can remember it.
I will post an updated map of the display as it deviated a bit from the plan.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CN-TT » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:56 pm

Turning the modules with the switches by 180 degrees (front becomes back and back becomes front) could also help. This puts the switch in the back and more scenery in the front. I also like the idea with the additional push button.
CN-TT

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:01 pm

CN-TT wrote:Turning the modules with the switches by 180 degrees (front becomes back and back becomes front) could also help. This puts the switch in the back and more scenery in the front.

This is an interesting idea, putting the track towards the back. I do not see a problem with it.

I also like the way the track on Voyteks modules moved to the back through the scene. It gets away from the long straight mainline. It might be an interesting idea to take a pair of modules and have the track swing back so we could used reversed modules. Will think about that.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Richard Brennan offered the idea of just placing the modules near the back edges of the tables instead of the front edge. This puts more distance between viewer and layout, and it requires no modification of the modules.

- Terry C.
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to Events