Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:17 pm

This thing is getting big :grin:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Vancouver Train Expo 2016

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:17 am

A few pictures from my phone on Saturday.
I spent most of the day working at Central Hobbies but still managed to take a few pictures with my phone.
We have already seen a picture of the 'backside' of the display.
20161105backsideofdisplay.jpg

Here is one of the 'front' side of the display.
20161105frontsideofdisplay.jpg

We must not neglect the Loop end.
20161105loop_end.jpg

At times the crowd was quite deep around the display.
Here is a Fuzzy picture I took from the store.
20161105crowdarounddisplay.jpg

Hopefully more and better pictures tomorrow.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:26 am

After the show was over for the day, most of us (six TT-Scale modellers and two wives) went back to the PressBox pub for more beer (again Thank You Bjoern), food and talk.

Global news was in the hall during the day filming layouts and interviewing people.
As I am seldom home to watch the news when it is broadcast I record the news to watch later.
We watched the news when we got home.

There was just under a minute segment plugging the show.

The clip started with . . . . Bjoerns Blue CN Alcos on Voytecks modules,
then jumped to the Victoria & Sidney HO layout,
then back to our layout with a shot through Bjoerns two module bridge set.
Nice exposure for TT-Scale.

All in all a good day for us.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Richard-B » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:44 pm

Peter Mueller, the VTE committee Chairman stopped by as well;
Thanked us again for gathering at the event and showing the current state of TT-scale modeling.

He's a Telecoms (ex-Ericsson) guy like myself... so our conversations did wander a bit beyond trains!

Saturday TT-Tracks Punch List:
- couplers pulling out?
- low trip pins on MTB cars (just need to adjust)
- high walkway between tracks (snags trip pins)
- 'Too attractive' turnout control switches... irresistible to children (and a few ADULTS!)
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:13 am

A few quick comments before I go off to bed to crash.

A good show. The layout ran well. As pictures have shown, we had good crowds.

Too may touching hands this show. Need to be more vigilant or maybe something as simple as "Please Do Not Touch Signs". Turnout control switches need to be disguised or interlocked.

Since the initial posting that started TT-Tracks back in January 18, 2011, this was the eighteenth running display of TT-Tracks.

More tomorrow after I unload and return the rental van.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:36 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Since the initial posting that started TT-Tracks back in January 18, 2011, this was the eighteenth running display of TT-Tracks.

:shock:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CN-TT » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:07 pm

It was a good and very busy show for us :thumbup:

I have a question to our North American members here: If there is no sign that says "Please, do NOT touch!" does this automatically mean "Go on, feel free to touch everyting that is within your reach!" ??? It sometimes felt we were in a hands-on museum. And I'm not only talking about kids. Even adults thought they were supposed to or allowed to touch every switch, our Wifi tablet or other parts of the display. When we told them not to, they really said "Oh, I thought it was meant to be touched!?" I'm just wondering!?!
Setting up poles and ropes around the display means probably less stress but also means more material to haul. That is not really a good option. The electric toggle switches should be disguised or removed from the front or covered or replaced be key lock switches or vulnerable areas can be equipped with clear acrylic screens in the front.
There is one more thing we should consider for futur shows. If only one guy is running the display, there should be only one train running on the inner circle and one train on the outer circle. If we would like more trains to be running, we need more guys and more throttles. And one train should be assigned to one specific throttle and one real human engineer.

Yesterday I shot a short video before the crowd came in. Unfortunately the quality is not very good due to the not so good lighting in the hall.

CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:25 pm

This was our sixth year for exhibiting TT scale in Vancouver, a total of twelve shows, not counting the times in other parts of the region, nor the national level NMRA shows. Adding the shows done before TTTracks, we have a total something like twenty one.

The others in our group feel that the show went well, but the incidents with children and adults grabbing trains or pushing switches alarmed me. For example, one button pushed for a turnout and three trains were derailed. After Saturday I was unwilling to have my trains put in harm's way. Further mayhem Sunday suggested something needs to be changed. One child simply reached in and tipped over an entire running train. Our layout at eye level for children is a great attraction but as it is, it's like putting candy in front of them. I was very discouraged. However, we were more vigilant Sunday.

Another problem was that apparently since last year's show, more transmitters for a local cable wi-fi were installed in the venue. They interrupted our wi-fi control of the trains. Just when disasters happened the tablet controls happened to be useless. We'll try to make our tablets stay focused on the Roco router, and perhaps use a tethered throttle as backup. Not sure yet.

Tin foil hat theory -- We did not have the wi-fi issues before this show, and we did not have so many incidents with children. So perhaps the increased radiation in the arena affected their behaviour.

The venue is used as a hockey arena and many years ago I saw a box lacrosse game there. But some at the show wondered how the games can be played in such low light. Other venues up the light level for shows but this didn't happen here. I hope more photos will be posted better than the few I took. One in this group shows the Rampmeter indicating that Bjoern's Kemtron diesel set and two other running trains drew a bit less that an amp.

-Terry C
Attachments
DSC04126R.JPG
DSC04131R.JPG
DSC04130R.JPG
DSC04133R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:37 pm

These pictures show two attractions to TT scale. Bjoern's diesels look impressive, and Bjoern's wife Anja seems to cause some modelers to spend more time checking out our display.

The last photo is of a six year old named Jayden. He is the son of one of the men who operate the local outdoor railway. Jayden learned to run our layout there when we held our pre-Indianapolis rehearsal last June. He took over the controls this Sunday and rivaled Tibi in operating the layout. His extra value is that he warns off the other children from touching the trains. We're negotiating for his services at the next show. But, really, the boy is a marvel and very personable.

Thank you to all the talented people who run our TT exhibit. It's great to know them and to be with them.

-Terry C
Attachments
DSC04118R.JPG
DSC04113R.JPG
DSC04120R.JPG
DSC04138R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Great camera positioning on the video :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Events