V 320 001

Re: V 320 001

Postby LVG1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 pm

jmass wrote:at 4000 horsepower, makes them one strong locomotive.

Sorry:
3800 h.p.

Electric locomotives have much more power. And on non-electrified lines there was too few need to justify the obtaining of locomotives of that size.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby LVG1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Christtking wrote:I'm going thru my books. All the photos I'm downloading today are from the books.

Have you considered the copyright?

I don't know what it's like in America. But in Germany you'll need a permission of the author if you want to publish somebody else's work. If you buy a book, the permission to republish its content will usually not be included.
A friend told me that there are some forums in Germany where scans from books are removed quickest possible, because these forums already got into heavy trouble because of copyright violations.

That's why I don't like to upload something and usually prefer to link images which are already published on the internet.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:26 pm

To LVG1: They are laws and laws about copyrights. Most of the books do not state such things anymore. The thing is, if I own the book, I have the right to do anything I want with it. I do not have the permission to use someone else's work, but as long I do not re-sell or post the author's work under my name, it's OK to copy here and there a photo or two, to share with some enthusiast (s). I just use some photos for presentation here on this forum (helping each other, that's all), as long I don't make any money doing so. There was a thing similar about the Internet.
In the future I will be more cautious about it. I know it's not the right thing to do.
Christtking

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 pm

FYI, I'm not concerned with copyrights on this board (since I own it that's all that matters :mrgreen: ). Post whatever you want, just don't take credit for it if there are copywrites. If the original owner of the picture complains to me, I will remove the "offending" content.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 pm

To conducTTor: Please let me know if you encounter any problems because of me. I will remove my posts immediately.
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Christtking wrote:The thing is, if I own the book, I have the right to do anything I want with it. I do not have the permission to use someone else's work, but as long I do not re-sell or post the author's work under my name, it's OK to copy here and there a photo or two, to share with some enthusiast (s).

Oh, that's by far not so easy!

If you buy a book, you'll pay for it. So the authors of its content—including the photographers—get money for their work.
If you post the book's content on the internet, people will get it for free and don't need to buy the book any more. So the authors are not paid any more. So, this way you cause a financial loss for the authors.
In most countries that's a criminal act and entitles the author(s) to demand compensation for their financial loss—also if you don't make money doing so and also if the image gets removed eventually.
The various countries' laws mainly differ in the questions who is responsible—the one who posts the bootleg images or the operator of the website or both—and which amount of financial compensation is reasonable. And America is well known for astronomical compensations...

Additionally, the author is entitled to attach conditions to their permission. (So for instance most authors want to explicitly be named when their work is shown.) If you don't care about a permission, you won't know the conditions—even if you would easily get a permission. This way you cut the personal rights of the author.

ConducTTor wrote:Post whatever you want, just don't take credit for it if there are copywrites. If the original owner of the picture complains to me, I will remove the "offending" content.

"Where's no plaintiff, there's no judge."
That's common practice on most small websites.
And it works because on small websites the probability of an author finding the site with their work is very low.
But the more popular the forum becomes, the higher the risk that you get into trouble because of your casual handling of copyrights—also if you remove the disputed image.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:53 pm

LVG1 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Post whatever you want, just don't take credit for it if there are copywrites. If the original owner of the picture complains to me, I will remove the "offending" content.

That's common practice on most small websites.
And it works because on small websites the probability of an author finding the site with their work is very low.
But the more popular the forum becomes, the higher the risk that you get into trouble

If this forum becomes big enough for anyone to care, I'll be perfectly happy :wave:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:25 pm

Let's hope for the best... :wink:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby scaro » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:18 am

LVG1 wrote:
jmass wrote:at 4000 horsepower, makes them one strong locomotive.

Sorry:
3800 h.p.

Electric locomotives have much more power. And on non-electrified lines there was too few need to justify the obtaining of locomotives of that size.

horsepower is only one factor in a strong locomotive. gearing and weight are probably more important. if the loco is light on its feet or geared too highly, all that horsepower will do is ensure the loco spins its wheels while going nowhere.

ben
scaro

Postby LVG1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:59 am

scaro wrote:if the loco is light on its feet or geared too highly, all that horsepower will do is ensure the loco spins its wheels while going nowhere.

Depends on the weight of the train!
If a highly geared locomotive pulls a relatively light train, it won't spin its wheels, but it will be able to run on relatively high speed.
That's why passenger and freight locomotives are usually differently geared.

By the way:
V320 is relatively highly geared.
The tractive afford of all 6-axle electric freight locomotives in Germany is clearly higher.

And nowadays wheel spin is electronically controlled, so that even for light locomotives a high tractive afford is possible.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion