US prototypes

US prototypes

Postby member13 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 am

I guess I'm the first one here :D I have a question for anyone modeling US protos. How are you doing it? I recently came across a Tillig FP7 in the Czhech republic (after LOT'S of searching) and purchased several wagons from Gold Coast. From what I understand people are using Rokals and modding them. But I've read that the Rokals are not true 1:120 scale. So what gives?
member13

Re: US prototypes

Postby areibel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:28 am

For diesels, Lionel made an F3 and a GP9 in 1:120 scale. They are unpowered but if you look at www.ttscale.com in the products section, there is information on power chassis kits from Possum Valley Models. PVM also has resin freight car kits and accessories. There are also some of the old TT diesels still ou there, the HP Products E7 and the Kemtron FA.
For Steam you need to either use the HP Products locos or modify Tillig to resemble American locos. Sometimes a little redetailing and a tender swap will make a big difference!
Al
areibel

Postby member13 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:44 am

I've seen the Lionels on Ebay from time to time but wasn't sure how close to scale they are. I'll have to find a couple to play with.....Is the HP stuff powered?
member13

Postby areibel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:15 pm

The Lionel shells are nice, the cab on the GP 9 is a little screwy but not terribly so. They have an odd notch in the front and back walls of the cab, like the Lionel 0-27 locos do. The actual bodies are good otherwise, and the PVM kits make them nice runners.
HP Products (Hal Joyce) invented TT scale just after WWII. They made several different Steam locomotives and the E7 diesel along with passenger and freight car kits. Kemtron made the Alco FA and FB units, they could be powered or dummies. Other companied made TT freight cars and passenger cars back then too, Gandy Dancer, Starline, Jewel Models, etc. There's a good history of TT scale on ttscale.com.
areibel

Postby jpachl » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:19 pm

member13 wrote:I recently came across a Tillig FP7 in the Czhech republic (after LOT'S of searching) and purchased several wagons from Gold Coast.

The Tillig FP7 was a small batch series originally produced for members of the German TT Scale Association (AKTT). There were versions in Burlington and Rock Island paint scheme. Tillig also made three 40' boxcars. These models were designed from modified Rokal stock, i.g. by making the bodies smaller. Rokal stock is indeed not true TT scale. Rokal vehicles look oddly when used together with real TT models. Beside the two FP7, I have an Alco FA/FB and a 0-6-0 switcher (see the pictures on my homepage, URL in signature). These engines came from a small batch series sold by German online retailer Siegfried Heerde, see http://www.siggis-modellbahn-shop.de/SMS-Shop. There, in the left menu, go to 'US-Corner' and then to 'Spur TT'. I also bought a couple of freight cars from Modellbahnshop Geringswalde, http://www.modellbahnhof-geringswalde.de. However, I'm not sure if they are still in the business.

Joern
jpachl

Postby jmass » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:38 pm

where did they get all that usa stock from,and why havent i seen anything close to that here.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:37 pm

It's all small batch production for German TTers wanting to model US protos. I'm guessing none of it has made it here because no one believes there is a market for it since it's tt.

Check out the wagons from Gold Coast, they are fantastic (http://goldcoastrailway.com/rtr.html). You can order them with Kadee couplers (modeled after US 1:1 couplers and not available on any Tillig or Berliner TT Bahnen models) or the new Tillig couplers. The couplers of your set are the older version (you can swap them out with the newer ones). I ordered mine with the Kadees but only because I got my hands on the FP7 :mrgreen: and it also comes with Kadees.
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jpachl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:32 am

jmass wrote:where did they get all that usa stock from,and why havent i seen anything close to that here.

The freight cars are US imports from Gold Coast.

Joern
jpachl

Postby jmass » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:52 pm

does gold coast make 50 foot boxcars. i wonder if the newer tillig couplers are easyer than the ones on my set. must need to get the knack for it, but a cool little set nonetheless.
jmass

Postby member13 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:06 pm

I believe the Gold Coast cars are 50 footers

As for the couplers, the version you have was the standard since, well, forever and it looks like it still is in Russia. The newer version that Tillig came up with a couple(?) of years ago is a bit nicer but in my opinion it's not a HUGE difference. If you want to upgrade to the newer version it's possible very easily. If you can post a pic of the attachment between the couplers and the loco/wagons, we can point you to the right version of new couplers (depends on the attachment method to the chassis).
member13

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models