US Manufacturer Interested in TT

Re: US Manufacturer Interested in TT

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 05, 2013 12:34 am

Jim, I'll buy at least 5 of whatever you make. Period.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Smoky Mtn Model Wks » Fri May 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Based on the very minimal expressed interest since John Degnan first posted on my behalf 2+ weeks ago, I'm withdrawing my offer to expand my product line into TT. No manufacturer can afford to gamble on "what if" sales; that ship sailed over 15 years ago and rightfully so. This is why we create polls and solicit responses. When there are insufficient responses, we drop the subject.

I am 100% opposed to the practice of list members simply lurking. There are 220+ members on this list but fewer than 5% have bothered to reply which is no more difficult than jotting down a line or 2 expressing your interest (or lack thereof) and pressing "submit". If someone can't take the time to do this, the likelihood of him/her buying any product, not just mine, is minimal or non-existent.

This "method of operation" is not unique to TT; all of the lists I'm on seem to be filled with lurkers or those who only make themselves known to gripe about some petty detail instead of being thankful that a new product has been made available. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a hard-nose on the topic but producing model RR items in S scale (my line) and in HO (as a contractor) is a significant chunk of my livelihood, so every decision I make must be weighed on a risk vs. reward basis.

I'd like nothing more than for this list's members to voice their interests and prove me wrong. However, based on previous and current experiences, the lack of response seems to the norm.

Jim King
Smoky Mountain Model Works, Inc.
Smoky Mtn Model Wks

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 17, 2013 3:06 pm

Sorry to see you go Jim but it's fully understandable. Thanks for giving it a shot and hopefully there will be a next time.

:(
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyReb69 » Fri May 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Folks... <sigh>... this was a genuine "put up or shut up" moment for TT scale. Like Jim, I am very disappointed in the extremely poor response. It is clear to me that most of you do not have any idea just how huge this opportunity was... but suffice it to say that it was one that could have really put TT scale on the map... "was" and "could have" being the emphatic words/terms.

John Degnan
JohnnyReb69

Postby Marquette » Fri May 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Jim, I don't blame you at all - but thanks for at least considering it.

I agree with John. The lack of response is disappointing (though I do have to wonder if Jim's interest was at all brought up over on the European forums - the bulk of TTers, including NA prototype modellers - is over there after all, and it's probably that market that's letting the RTR SW happen, not us over here)...

I know my response wasn't all that super hardcore into it as it might have been, but I also wasn't about to lie about my interest... that said, seeing this thread rekindled my interest in the hobby, with the prospect of getting some gorgeous new models, but, poof, there it goes away again.

"was" and "could have" being the emphatic words/terms.

Yeah.

I think the RTR SW will prove to have been the crowning moment for NA TT.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Fri May 17, 2013 10:21 pm

It is disapponting, but not unexpected.
I guess he wanted a flood of emails telling him yes, I doubt any of the different lists that I'm on (not just model RR'ing) would do that. And here, with lots of lurkers, overseas members that might not be real comfortable with English, "scale curious" modellers in other scales, etc.. I don't think it would have ever happened.

I've never had one of Jim's kits, but I had a couple from Rail Yard Models, and they were beautiful! Resin with etched details, just unbelieveable quality. I think Jim's are comparable, I would have liked to see what he could have done!

I am a litle disappointed that he didn't say what it would take, numbers wise. Even for the most basic kit. He's got his S scale Wish List page, each has a magic number of orders to make that kit happen. I do understand where he's at, he doesn't model TT and isn't doing this as a favor, it's strictly business. I've got no problem sending a deposit in for a proposed model, and I'd bet there are a lot of others here that would put their money where their mouth is. Don't look like it'll happen now though...
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 am

JohnnyReb69 wrote:It is clear to me that most of you do not have any idea just how huge this opportunity was... but suffice it to say that it was one that could have really put TT scale on the map... "was" and "could have" being the emphatic words/terms.

John Degnan

I think the above is a bit too dramatic. No one here is stupid enough to have missed the gravity of this opportunity. The simple fact is, TT is extremely tiny in North America and if anyone is looking for an avalanche of feedback/enthusiasm they're simply going to be disappointed.

Yes, it's an opportunity lost. Will it have "put TT scale on the map"? I highly doubt it. A TON needs to happen before TT is on any map of any scale anywhere. Simply the facts.

No it's not the end of TT - we've been down that road before and we'll probably be down it again. But no. It is not and will not be the end. Other opportunities will come (though realistically few and far in between).

We're going to keep the light on - all are welcome to come on in whenever they're in the neighborhood.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sat May 18, 2013 9:22 am

in my case i have floated as i do, back to australian outline in one of the 'bigger' TT scales.

attempts to make anything, even something as straightforward as an F unit, are fraught with problems that i admit i don't have the money or skill to tackle. i'm also disillusioned with the 3-D thing and lack of decent wheels. all up, i decided to pass for the time being.

on the up side, the 3mm society AGM is today, and apparently hornby representatives are attending. there are persistent rumours that they will do something RTR in 3mm scale.

B.
scaro

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat May 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Guys, I've floated several things here, and I'm still waiting on a final answer as to what you all will agree to in a wheel code. What I saw was few answers and none of them asking for the same level of detail or price. You can't do that as a manufacturer! When I put a new product on the shelf, a lot of capital gets tied up in it. It's not just $2 a unit at the manufacturers or vendors end for a GapMaster. It's $50 to $150 tied up on a shelf in a building that you're also paying for. Everyone needs to come together and decide this is the level of car kit we want in TT. I'm starting to cast up trucks, but wheels I have to order, like in the thousand counts to make it affordable at the retail end. You'll get what you're asking for if and when you're all asking for the same thing, because that's what make's it do-able at the manufacturer's end. Everyone needs to agree on a common standard, then things can happen. Until then, everything must be scratchbuilt.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Marquette » Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 pm

Agreeing on a standard wheel is one thing. That, IMO, is something that some people will give input on, and others will just buy what's available.

A kit of, say, a boxcar, is something different entirely: if you ask what people want, everyone will say something different. Tied for #1 on my list would be an X29 and a 36' Fowler; someone else might say a PS-1, yet someone else might say something modern, etc. etc. So if you want a bunch of people who model different subjects - differing in location and time - you'll probably be disappointed, because you will not see a consensus happen.

CSD had the right approach: he asked, "are you interested in buying an RTR SW1200?". He asked a specific question about a model of a specific item.

So, to Jim, I would suggest this: pick one thing you want to produce, and then ask: "would you buy this, at this price range?" - do a poll like CSD did when he first floated the SW. There were a lot more poll responses than there were people who ever wrote a word in the thread. If you try that approach, I'm certain you'll get a much better response.

tl;dr you gave too many options for any sort of meaningful response to happen, whereas if you'd asked something like, "would you buy a kit of a Seaboard B7, with the kit being of this or that construction, including decals, at this price range?", you'd've got a more encouraging response.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion