US Manufacturer Interested in TT

Re: US Manufacturer Interested in TT

Postby JohnnyReb69 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:50 am

railtwister wrote:The problem with a super detailed, prototypically accurate model in TT scale is that it will make so much of my other TT stuff look crude.

I don't want something so fine it makes me want to toss the rest of my TT in the rubbish bin! :lol:

Bill in FtL

This is one of the reasons why I am leaning toward thinking that a more basic model with cast-on details might be a great starting point for us... another big reason being the price range a few of you have mentioned. The reality is that we're simply not going to get a highly detailed model with all separate details for around $40... it will most likely be at least $50.

But it's still a bit early in the game, so let's hold out and see what other have to say...

John Degnan
JohnnyReb69

Postby MacG » Fri May 03, 2013 4:42 pm

My wishlist: Mechanical reefer, "Waffle Sided" boxcar, B-7 "Turtleback Roof" and M53 "Wagontop".

Additional 50' boxcars I can buy at Lok-n-Roll or hopefully by Rob M.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby areibel » Fri May 03, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi MacG,
I don't see 50 foot cars on LnR's website, is it something new he has?
Al
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 03, 2013 5:54 pm

I think price will be very important here. The only way to have more customers is to bring more people into the scale. To bring more people in, easy of access is of paramount importance - price can be a big deal here (especially for a relatively unknown scale). I'd rather have to do some work myself if that means the price is lower and more people can afford the models....or a few people can afford more models :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby JohnnyReb69 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:40 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I think price will be very important here. The only way to have more customers is to bring more people into the scale. To bring more people in, easy of access is of paramount importance - price can be a big deal here (especially for a relatively unknown scale). I'd rather have to do some work myself if that means the price is lower and more people can afford the models....or a few people can afford more models :)

I agree... especially on a manufacturer's 'Entry (first) Model' into a new scale where few people (or none) know about the quality of his products. It may seem backwards if you're looking at it from the perspective of trying to show off just what you can do, but I'd rather build interest and trust first, then offer the consumer more (higher quality) later (at a higher price).

Another option would be for the manufacturer to offer TWO lines of products - one being a basic kit line of models with molded on details (for a lower price) and a higher grade product line of models with separate details. The HO world is FULL of manufacturers who do this - Athearn, Atlas, Bachmann, BLI, Branchline Trains (prior to being bought by Atlas)... you name it!

John Degnan
JohnnyReb69

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 03, 2013 6:43 pm

JohnnyReb69 wrote:Another option would be for the manufacturer to offer TWO lines of products - one being a basic kit line of models with molded on details (for a lower price) and a higher grade product line of models with separate details.

Not enough in TT for that. In a few years maybe - but now :thumbdown:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Smoky Mtn Model Wks » Sat May 04, 2013 10:45 am

After reviewing the various replies, it appears that, as on most lists I belong to, there are a LOT of personal interests driving what may or may not be produced and a VERY FEW bothering to voice their desires. There are over 220 members on this list yet fewer than 10 members have responded to John Degnan's initial posting and from those, fewer than 20 of any of my currently-designed cars in HO or S have received a vote. Additionally, there seems to be a large disparity between what a car should/should not contain regarding details (cast-on vs. separate) and target price ($25-30 vs. $50) that includes trucks, couplers and decals. I can confirm that, due to the very small TT market for US rolling stock, the price would be in the $50 range excluding trucks and couplers but including decals.

Until a consensus is reached (I suggest someone create a poll), I'm going to let the topic simmer awhile. There is a wide variety of cars I've produced in HO and S (shown on my web site) but, except for a few votes for the SR waffle box and B&O M53, none have generated any appreciable interest. If you want SMMW to enter the TT market, now is the time to voice your interests.

Jim King
SMMW
Smoky Mtn Model Wks

Postby richardedmonds » Sat May 04, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Jim
For what its worth, and to show my support to you I would take at least one of anything you produce in TT and probably more than one in some cases. It doesn't matter what items you produce in any venture like this I will support anything that is on offer

Richard in UK
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Sat May 04, 2013 12:49 pm

I think the price of $50 is acceptable.
(Of course, $25 would be better :wink: but I can understand your reasons)

As for me - although I prefer Low Side Gondola, I'll also take some other cars (boxcars, racks, etc.) if they are suiltable for 1950s era.
Arseny

Postby areibel » Sat May 04, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi Jim,
And thanks for your frank comments! But I assure you, there are a lot more people interested in this thread than have responded. A lot of guys in TT just seem to have adopted a wait and see attitude. Sad to say your approach is the unusual one, there have been several times where guys have made big announcements for the next big thing in TT, making lots of promises and sometimes collecting money for the items that never materialize. No one doubts your ability to produce it, and if it's anywhere near the quality of your S scale offerings they would sell. Do you have a number of kits that would make it worthwhile for you? I see on the S scale "Wish List" page they're at 80 units, any idea of what it would take for TT?

And as for which one to produce, that will be the hardest thing to determine. TT has some growing pains, if you asked 10 years ago what era that most TT modellers were using it would have been around 100% Transition era, 1930's- 1950's. Not because that what they wanted to model, but that's all there was! If you look at an old HP or Gandy Dancer catalog (the two bigest TT producers, so far!) you'd see steam locomotives, a very few early diesels, lots of billboard reefers, wood side boxcars, etc.. There were some attempts to do 'modern" (for 1955) cars, like a 50 foot boxcar but it too a great amount of skill to pull off. In my collection I have some examples of attempts to push the era up slightly, like a brass E7 shell from HP shortened up to an F7. ANd they managed to power it- whoever built it had their work cut out. Not a prize winning model, but a good attempt.
This has improved slightly, some companied tried to do more modern rolling stock. Gandy Dancer (under a different owner) did some cast whitemetal diesels and some slightly more modern rolling stock, but it was in the 60's. The freight cars were still wood and cardboard, the diesels, well it took a lot! They made a DD35 model that I've only ever seen one assembled (by one of the German TT'ers that runs US prototype). The German group also made their own models, but they weren't readily available here. Finally Coastal Engineering (Jim O'Brien) and Possum Valley Models (Elmer McKay) produced a great line of resin freight and passenger kits, and Elmer worked out a way to power the Lionel 1:120 diecasts . Since then we've seen more and more through Shapeways, quality isn't always great but it beats building it all from scratch! And if you can check out some of the pics in the Models section, you can see what the guys are doing. And there's more coming- the first RTR locomotive (an SW1200) is coming very soon, there are two other diesel projects, we had an etch done for a brass SD45- we're getting out of the transition era!
I've already mentioned my first choice, the Southern boxcar. I want to model the late 1960's to the early 70's, I can remember seeing the "green dot" Southern cars coming through on trains I watched. I'm with the other guys have said though, whatever you would decide to make I would buy. I'd go for a couple of the Southern cars, but if that's not the one then I'd buy at least one of anything else. The more unusual cars probably would have gotten up here into the North East, but I just don't remember them.
And if you COULD be persuaded into doing a 50' box like the PS1/2 (or any 50 foot steel box, not sure what you've done in HO or S in the past), my wife would hate you. I'd be spending wayyy to much money!
Al Reibel
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion