US Manufacturer Interested in TT

Re: US Manufacturer Interested in TT

Postby scaro » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:29 am

pulpwood racks came before the 1950s. early ones were often converted from cut down boxcars or indeed any other underframe which was available.

made to order ones, which were significantly more sturdy, came in vast numbers in the 1950s on roads like the ACL, SAL and even the less-than-mighty G&F.

in the mid 60s, woodchip hoppers started nudging them aside in some situations. initially surplus coal hoppers, then the same, but with side extensions, and then bespoke designs which quickly got very big.

ben
scaro

Postby JohnnyReb69 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:47 am

I'll post a more indepth reply later, but I gotta leave for work VERY soon.

I'm going to have to leave answering the issue of price in Jim King's ballpark as I really don't know a lot about pricing. But I doubt the price would be as high as $80... especially considering that the price for his HO stuff was cheaper. If I remember correctly, my HO SAL B-7 box cars were around $50 (give or take)... but I may be remembering wrong.

Until later...

John Degnan
JohnnyReb69

Postby Marquette » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:28 am

Considering the price of a Gold Coast car (even though yes, it is the ready-to-run price), I'd think $35-$40 wouldn't be unreasonable for a resin boxcar kit of a high quality.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby railtwister » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 am

Hi John,

I'm glad to hear Jim King is interested in TT scale, and producing a solid resin model of a boxcar sounds like an interesting approach. It should solve the issues of warping found with some thin section resin castings and could also make it easier to make the molds and castings. As far as pricing goes, I personally can't justify more than $25-$30 for a complete car including trucks and couplers, so for me anyway, talk of $50-$80 for a kit would be way beyond my reach, especially after adding the cost of trucks, couplers, paint, and decals.

I am no longer interested in having trains with contest quality levels of detail, especially if that detail hinders the operation of the model or makes it too fragile to hold up to everyday handling. Things like full brake rigging that can't be seen when the model is sitting on the rails really don't interest me, especially since they drive up the cost. One of my pet peeves in all the larger scales is the fragile, cast on stirrup steps that so easily break off, and I have long admired Micro-Trains and Kadee for making their stirrup steps separately out of engineering plastic that not only resists breakage, but are easily replaceable if they do get broken. Because of this superior engineering, I think the Micro-Trains N scale cars, and Kadee HO cars have achieved the best balance between detail level and practical usability of any of the scales.

Also, since I tend to start more projects than I finish, and am beginning to see that the unfinished projects are stacking up and using a lot of storage space beyond just in the train room, so I am finally being more selective in my purchases. I have an S scale hi-rail layout at home, plus I'm a member of modular groups in both HO and On30, and I also have modular table top layouts based on the the T-Trak concept in both N scale and TT. Because of these diverse interests, I have already acquired too many model trains (just ask my wife!) in most scales, though I still succumb to occasional purchases, mostly in On30.

I seriously doubt that anyone has ever made much money producing items for TT, since the number of customers is so small, and that is the scale I have the least number of pieces, so I probably am not a good example for anyone doing market research, especially where TT is concerned.

Thanks to both you and Jim King for thinking about producing anything in TT.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby areibel » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:03 am

I'd prefer the waffle side car, but any of the boxcars would be a welcome addition. And if he gets really bored and wants to do the CAD, a 50' boxcar of almost any style is sorely needed! My era is the 60's into the early 70's, so I can use a lot of 40' boxcars but by then there were a lot of 50' cars (and larger) moving freight. Right now the only options are an old HP kit or Rob's (beautiful!) Railbox cars.
Or after looking around, ANYTHING on this page- http://www.smokymountainmodelworks.com/S_What_If.html
areibel

Postby MacG » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:15 pm

A model after the steam area would be nice. But not too modern. I've read about the waffle sided boxcars, they are from the end of the 60s. If it is true, then I like this model. EDIT: The Southern Railway took the delivery of this model in 1974. A early model would be nicer. With less stamped impressions.

I think every car beside a 40' boxcar would be a good enrichment of the TT cars. (e.g. pulpwood rack or mechanical reefer)

30-40$ per kit would be fine, include shell, separate underframe and trucks. Molded-on ladders is for me okay.
Last edited by MacG on Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Marquette » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:24 pm

As I've mentioned, I'd b *very* into the B-7 and the M53. We do still need a lot of boxcars - especially ones like those two, that are very distinctively different from the 1937 AAR car.

I can agree with the opinions saying other types are needed, too, but... for my own part, 1, as a boxcar nut, and 2, as someone who's realised they will likely never have a layout of any sort and any future involvement in this hobby will be collecting (and running at meets, say), that does free me somewhat from period constraints (though I'd still like to be able to assemble prototypical trains)... which means any boxcar you may produce, I'll buy (possibly several, to make different paint schemes; I'm thinking especially of the B-7 right now). Other car types, not so likely - but not a definite no.
Marquette

Postby JohnnyReb69 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm

Below is the latest word from SMMW on the design of these kits and the BALLPARK estimate on what they will probably sell for :

"... a hollow body with separate underframe, separate brake detail/brake wheel/brake platform, separate
roofwalk, separate doors (maybe) and cast-on ladder rails and grab iron brackets. The modeler would cut
.010" wire and install these "rungs" in pockets I'd include between the brackets and rails. Steps would
probably be flat wire that the modeler creates unless I can find molded ones somewhere. Decals would be
included (ALPS). No trucks or couplers. Retail around $50-55 (depending on kit size and pattern cost) US
+ shipping." [ - Jim King ]

How does this sound to those of you who are interested in a highly detailed model?

For those of you who are satisfied with less detailed models... keep in mind that nothing is definite, yet. We don't know for sure what route we will take if this thing takes root, so if there is more interest amongst the members in a cheaper, less detailed kit (with molded on grabs, ladders, etc.), that is still a possibility. So keep chiming in, 'cause we're listening.

John Degnan
JohnnyReb69

Postby railtwister » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:03 pm

Waffle side cars are nice looking (although really more modern than I need), but I wouldn't consider trying to decal one, rib sided boxcars or hoppers are hard enough!

However, I would like to see a plain-Jane 50 footer with single & double door options at a reasonable price. The problem with a super detailed, prototypically accurate model in TT scale is that it will make so much of my other TT stuff look crude.

I don't want something so fine it makes me want to toss the rest of my TT in the rubbish bin! :lol:

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Marquette » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:17 pm

JohnnyReb69 wrote:Below is the latest word from SMMW on the design of these kits and the BALLPARK estimate on what they will probably sell for :

"... a hollow body with separate underframe, separate brake detail/brake wheel/brake platform, separate
roofwalk, separate doors (maybe) and cast-on ladder rails and grab iron brackets. The modeler would cut
.010" wire and install these "rungs" in pockets I'd include between the brackets and rails. Steps would
probably be flat wire that the modeler creates unless I can find molded ones somewhere. Decals would be
included (ALPS). No trucks or couplers. Retail around $50-55 (depending on kit size and pattern cost) US
+ shipping." [ - Jim King ]

How does this sound to those of you who are interested in a highly detailed model?

Sounds good to me.
Marquette

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion