US Diesel loc from Russia

US Diesel loc from Russia

Postby Norkin-model » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:23 am

Hello everyone!

My name is Andrey Moscow, Russia.
I’m building models of Russian trains (USSR and our days) from metal (here it is - site is uder construction (changing links and e.t.s.- welcome))
But than ain’t a reason why I’m here.

I’m keen on diesel locomotives of USA and dreaming to produce e’m myself in 1/120 scale.

Hope to find here a help of yours (materials, photos e.t.s. ) I don’t know what type of loc to produce, but may be you’ll help me.

If everything’ll go fine after 2-3 month a first US loc from Russia will arrive!
US

Last edited by Norkin-model on Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norkin-model.ru - Brass models of a railroads
Norkin-model

Re: US Diesel loc frof Russia

Postby scaro » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 am

Welcome Andrey

Your work looks excellent. What did you want to produce?

There are many plans of US locomotives here:

http://www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/Art_Index.htm

The GP7 is a good locomotive for the US as so many railroads owned it (2600 produced).

http://www.trainweb.org/willstrainart/T ... /GP7ND.htm

For purposes of scaling down the plans, the bogie of the GP7 is 9' or 2743mm between axle centres.

Regards

Ben
scaro

Postby jmass » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:00 pm

nice work andrey, like the fan detail. welcome aboard!
jmass

Postby Norkin-model » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:06 pm

scaro wrote:Welcome Andrey

Ben

Thanx for good words Guyes!!!
Fo this time i do not know any type of US loks - so i kan only publish here a pix that i'd like to build and may be you, comrads, ((-: will help my tu identify a model.

But the main thing is a frame! I'm building locks only if there is a ready bogie of a lock (it is not a secret that on one frame there may be two or more diesels)

So if you say that there is ready bogie with frame and ets and of course a plans .... i'll be good for start.

what about...:

Or THIS!!

My be we can do two or three topics for 2 or 3 models in order to collect all ifo about models there?

Thank you. A work is just at the wery beguinning...
Norkin-model

Postby Norkin-model » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:29 pm

What types of locs using the " Union pacific..."
Here link
For example:

I like the sape of locks (a see that thea are differet :D ) and color scheme....

Is it possibel to finde rolling stuff so i can build a body ?
Norkin-model

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:45 pm

Andrey, welcome to the board! Man, that is fantastic looking work :clap:

What model to produce? That's a tough one - it will greatly depend on what existing chassis and wheel set can be used. Unfortunately I am not as knowledgeable in this area as some of our other members.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Norkin-model » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:43 am

ConducTTor wrote:Man, that is fantastic looking work :clap:
Thanx!!! (^
- it will greatly depend on what existing chassis and wheel set can be used.

Of course, so let's wait for other members opinion. I know that in US TT scale isn’t a favorite scale so i expecting some problems with driving part of a loc.

BUT I cat use Tillig or something like that if their wheels stuff is close to a prototype that we will chouse.
Norkin-model

Postby scaro » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:20 am

A few problems in choosing a loco like this

1. I do not think there are any ready-to-run mechanisms that can be used for these large US C-C (six axle) hood units. People sometimes order the Bullant or similar products from Hollywood Foundry, who make chassis to to individual requirements: http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/

2. Most European locos are full carbody units so chassis is wider than US locos which have hoods. They cannot be used unless you are prepared to basically build your own chassis from scratch.

3. There is no modern TT stock produced that can be run behind these big US locos, either.

The PIKO Hercules chassis is good for some B-B (four axle) units but it needs considerable work to use for a hood loco.

I think that B-B first or early second generation diesels would be better choices. What about a GP20 or GP30 (1960s) ?

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cbq/cbq928.jpg

http://www.trainweb.org/cgw/photos-bin/cgwry56.html

Ben
scaro

Postby Norkin-model » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:13 am

1) I think that only cooperation will help us to work out something new!

2) As I said for me it is no problem to build a frame (plans and a real frame in metal)
May be we can use European chassis WITHOUT a frame. And than simply put on each 3 axels (2 axels – doesn’t matter) from left an right sides a cover plate with parts of a model.
All I need – a distance between axels. Nobody will matter if a model distance in 1/120 will be on 1mm smalle or lager. This scheme do work with a Rus locks on euro chassis.

This is a frame of one of my locs for ex.

Booth lock shown at links look’in wild (good) (-:
Norkin-model

Postby CSD » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:56 pm

The soon to be released T435 (tillig 4621) is supposed to come with american style trucks. Perhaps a model could be chosen based on this wheel set for an easy conversion. As of yet, a picture of the model with these trucks has not yet been released but should look something like this...
Attachments
74730002_UNL_Strekov_ATLAS_T_T0spc0435.JPG.jpeg
Mark
//S
CSD

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models