Re: U30b imaterialise

Postby TiTan downunder » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:27 am

Rob,

I'll ask.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby TiTan downunder » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:14 am

Getting this project going again. Didn't realise it had been in limbo since way back in February. Been distracted by my wife's health issues and being presented with another grand-daughter.

Bernd graciously sent me 2 x chassis plates and they fit perfectly. Had all my spare parts turn up from Tillig and have since obtained 2 x more body shells & fuel tanks from iMaterialise. This means including my original thinner 1mm/0.040" thick chassis plate I'm all set ( in theory ) to get 3 units up and running.

At this stage I've put the bases into the fuel tanks and filled them with lead shot, as before, to bring them up to 30gram in weight. My original chassis, weighted fuel tank & tilling trucks came in at 66gram or 2.3oz. With Bernd's thicker chassis plate, this combo now comes in at 88gram or 3.1oz.

If it's not too cold out in the work shed this week-end ( has been down to -5C in the mornings ) I'm hoping to have time to fit some motors and see how they perform with the extra weight.

Decals are under way. Have received the BN & Frisco versions and several other roads are nearly ready.
Another mate is doing the cad work for the etched handrails. Things are progressing albeit a bit slowly.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Bernd » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:37 am

Ian,

Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues. Hope she gets better.

Glad to hear that the plates fit. Looking forward to seeing your units running.

Also I'm suspending all projects in TT scale and have decided to pursue my HO scale projects. I've come to the conclusion that I can't work in two scales at the same time. Nothing seems to get done either one. I'll check in from time to time to see what's going on.

Cheers,
Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:07 am

Ian, sending much positiveness your wife's way!

Can't wait to see the finished units :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TiTan downunder » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks for the well wishes guys. We're getting there. It's just a slow process going for tests, getting results, test for something else, etc, etc. Makes you envious of the Star Trek medical bays on the Enterprise :)

>> Looking forward to seeing your units running << SO AM I !!!!!

It's just damn cold here this morning with heavy frost and thick fog so, will see what it's like when I finish work at lunch time.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:19 pm

I've literally fantasized of being in a Star Trek medical bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:29 am

Heavy frost? Thick fog? Australia? Those words don't go together.
RodTT

Postby TiTan downunder » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:01 am

Yeah they do around here - every winter. Our old neighbours can even remember when it snowed here once, many years ago.
You too used to seeing the adverts on the beach. In another few months we'll be whinging about the heat again and watching the bush fires.

Modelling wise, today was a write-off. Went out to the shed and put one of my old reliable SW's on track, hit the go button and it got 3/4 way round and stopped dead. Tried another loco did the same thing. ???? Layouts worked perfectly for 7 years, what's going on?? Fiddled and tested for 1/2 hour till finally figured the Tillig point (turnout) wasn't putting power through. So, 2 x hours later have by passed the point wiring ( yeah, I know, should have done that 7 years ago ) and it all works again. Onward & upward tomorrow - maybe.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:13 am

We have a chassis, again. Back where I was up to in February but, with the new thicker chassis plate. After the usual 2 steps forward & 1 step back, finally got it running.
chassis Mk.2.JPG

Don't think I'll stick with the cheap Chinese motors. They seemed like a good substitute after Mashima's demise but, boy, do they get HOT. I ran the loco pulling a reasonable string of cars around my European layout for about 15 minutes and could hardly touch the loco. I removed the body as quickly as possible as I have no idea how the material will handle the heat. It would be O.K. for occasional use but, definitely not for continuous use at a show.

This time I made a mounting " L " bracket from styrene to keep the motor touching the chassis plate to try and help with heat transfer rather the using silicon as before but, didn't seem to have any effect. I'm considering making the mounting block in brass for a guaranteed metal / heat transfer option.

One other point I've noticed with these motors - there are 2 x shaft lengths. At least in the ones I bought. I used the longer 48.5mm version but the shorter ones I have are 47.0mm

For this option I used 1 x each Tillig 300536 ( 29mm ) & 321050 ( 11mm ) cardan shafts.

I've done a couple of short videos and IF I can remember my youtube log in I'll upload them later.
TiTan downunder

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 am

TiTan downunder

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models