U30b imaterialise

Re: U30b imaterialise

Postby RodTT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Brilliant - could well be my next project! I daresay with the appropriate mods to length this could be adapted for almost any 4-axle loco?
Do you find it runs well enough without a flywheel?
RodTT

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:01 pm

>> Do you find it runs well enough without a flywheel <<

Yes. When testing the chassis, I originally had 2 x NWSL 10 x 7mm flywheels on it but the Chinese motor could not handle it. After 10 minutes of running it was so hot, you could not touch it. I also found they didn't make much difference to the performance.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Question: has the U30B been tried with a load of cars yet?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 pm

No, not yet. Still have to fit couplers.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby TiTan downunder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:59 am

This is the template for the chassis plate.
Chassis plate.jpg

I start by drilling the 9.5mm holes and then milling out the " semi-square " area for the Tilling bogie/truck to turn.
NOTE;- You need to bevel the long outside edges to about a 30 degree angle to allow it to easily slip into the clips on the underside of the body shell. You also have to be VERY gentle when stretching the body shell to remove the chassis.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby RodTT » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:58 pm

Ian
Probably a bit early yet but what are you going to do for decals? Do you make your own or get them to order?
RodTT

Postby TiTan downunder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:07 pm

Rod,

No, I get them done by an old mate who has an ALPS printer. He has done all the decals for my 2 bay hopper kits as well as the NP woodchip cars and the ATSF coal car. Not quick but, VERY good.

Had already given him the specs to get the CB&Q ones done but, as this now has EMD trucks I'll do it WP, just to keep it prototypical. You never know when the prototype police will turn up at an exhibition. :lol: :lol:

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby RodTT » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:49 pm

All I can say is keep in with that friend and hope his printer doesn't pack up! One concern about building my own loco is that I'll ruin it with bad home-made decals (on top of the bad paint job) :(
RodTT

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:00 pm

>> All I can say is keep in with that friend and hope his printer doesn't pack up! One concern about building my own loco is that I'll ruin it with bad home-made decals <<

He bought 20 years worth of tapes and at least 5 ( I think ) machines when the trouble started so, he's good for another 10 years :lol: :lol:
>> (on top of the bad paint job) <<

WP green is looking pretty good - it's only a one colour job. Might be able to even find a Tamiya rattle can the right colour?????

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby RodTT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:36 pm

TiTan downunder wrote:>> All I can say is keep in with that friend and hope his printer doesn't pack up! One concern about building my own loco is that I'll ruin it with bad home-made decals <<

He bought 20 years worth of tapes and at least 5 ( I think ) machines when the trouble started so, he's good for another 10 years :lol: :lol:
>> (on top of the bad paint job) <<

WP green is looking pretty good - it's only a one colour job. Might be able to even find a Tamiya rattle can the right colour?????

Ian

I can cope with a one-colour paint job from a rattle can. The problem would be matching the decal background to the paint. Unless I did dark lettering on a transparent background.
I don't suppose your friend does commissions?
RodTT

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models