U30b chassis for Tillig Gear Tower

U30b chassis for Tillig Gear Tower

Postby Bernd » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Just recently I got an upgrade CAM package for my CNC Sherline. I thought I'd give it a test drive by seeing if I could cut out what Ian had designed for the Ub30b shell. Using his drawing in his thread on the U30b. https://www.ttnut.com/u30b-imaterialise-t3305.html I drew up a drawing in my CAD program and then ran it through the updated CamBam CAM program. I still need to find out why the mill doesn't do perfect round cutouts or arcs. Also I only had .020" thick brass to try on. Once I find out why the machine mills out of round holes I'll use a thicker brass plate.

Here's the first sample off the machine. I need to make smaller tabs the hold it all together while milling.

Cut loose from the main piece.

I am missing a dimension that are not on the drawing. I took a guess on the design.

What say ye model TT scalers?

Bernd
Bernd

Re: U30b chassis for Tillig Gear Tower

Postby MacG » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:35 pm

Happy Birthday, Bernd! :wave:

Did you mill it with 0.020" positioning? I would try 0.008" deep and the route wider than the milling cutter. For some space beside the cutter.

Here is my sketch for the Tillig truck holes. All measurements in mm x 10. The 130,00mm at the sketch are real 13,00mm.

Tillig_Drehgestellaufnahme.jpg
Tillig truck holes

Edit: correction of the scale
Last edited by MacG on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Rich1853 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:15 pm

I'm sorry I'm just anal with poor sketches. Been in Quality Assurance since the late 70's and this attached ASME Y14.5 is the bible of mechanical drawings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometr ... olerancing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gP1nbE ... p=drivesdk
https://www.asme.org/products/codes-sta ... olerancing
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby RodTT » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Bernd wrote:What say ye model TT scalers?

Bernd

I say yes please.
RodTT

Postby Bernd » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:12 pm

MacG wrote:Happy Birthday, Bernd! :wave:

Thank you MacG, much appreciated.

Did you mill it with 0.020" positioning? I would try 0.008" deep and the route wider than the milling cutter. For some space beside the cutter.

Am I understanding you correctly when you ask about the .020" positioning that you are asking about my depth of cut? If so, yes I am cutting the full .020" of material. I actually am cutting to a depth of .030", .010" deeper than the material is thick. I believe that I may have to fast of a feed rate. I'm going to try a slower feed rate next time.

Here is my sketch for the Tillig truck holes. Measurements in mm.
Tillig_Drehgestellaufnahme.jpg

Is that 130,00mm (5.118") wide or is that supposed to be 13,00mm (.5118) wide? The 13mm width is closer to what Ian has on is drawing, 15mm wide.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Rich1853 wrote:I'm sorry I'm just anal with poor sketches. Been in Quality Assurance since the late 70's and this attached ASME Y14.5 is the bible of mechanical drawings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometr ... olerancing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gP1nbE ... p=drivesdk
https://www.asme.org/products/codes-sta ... olerancing

I don't see anything to be anal about. It's a hand drawn sketch not a print that needs to go to a vendor for product production. I worked over 30 years in the machine tool industry and know about mechanical drawings.

Ian provided information on what was needed except for that one dimension I marked up.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:19 pm

RodTT wrote:
Bernd wrote:What say ye model TT scalers?

Bernd

I say yes please.

All righty then. As soon I as I get those tower openings drawn correctly and some 1/32" (.8mm) thick or thicker brass plate I'll crank out some chassis's.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby MacG » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Bernd wrote:... Is that 130,00mm (5.118") wide or is that supposed to be 13,00mm (.5118) wide? The 13mm width is closer to what Ian has on is drawing, 15mm wide. ...

Sorry, it's my fault. I draw with SketchUp everything 10 times bigger. It's 13,00mm (.5118) wide.

Check the x-y axis at drawing a circle. Perhaps they aren't synchronously. Both of your milled holes look similar.
I mean a reducing the depth of cut. But a lower feed rate is also a try worth.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:10 pm

Well actually, it's not a drawing but, a tracing of the finished brass plate. Sorry, I usually manage to leave something off when I do these things but, I see MacG has provided the answer.
Don't get too thick. There are mounting 'clips' in the body shell to hold the chassis in. Even with the .032" i used I had to chamfer the edges. Clipping it in is not as big a problem as getting it back out without breaking the body and gluing nylon is a pain in the rear end.

>> I'll crank out some chassis's. << Put me down for 2 - I'll just HAVE too expand the roster.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby Bernd » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:32 pm

MacG wrote:
Bernd wrote:... Is that 130,00mm (5.118") wide or is that supposed to be 13,00mm (.5118) wide? The 13mm width is closer to what Ian has on is drawing, 15mm wide. ...

Sorry, it's my fault. I draw with SketchUp everything 10 times bigger. It's 13,00mm (.5118) wide.

Check the x-y axis at drawing a circle. Perhaps they aren't synchronously. Both of your milled holes look similar.
I mean a reducing the depth of cut. But a lower feed rate is also a try worth.

Ah, I see. I tried to use Sketch-Up. Didn't care for it. I use DraftSight 2017. Free CAD.

Ok so I'll redraw my drawing with those dimensions. I'll just move the comma to the left one digit. :thumbup: Nothing to be sorry about. And I'll check the x-y axis on the circle. Thanks.

Bernd
Bernd

Next

Return to Builders' Corner