U.S. dealers / manufacturers

U.S. dealers / manufacturers

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:36 am

I wonder what you guys' thoughts are - there is not a single manufacturer or dealer of TT scale items that has any interest in this site. SO, if you where one of those entities, why would you not at least register and post once in a while? I've outlined in the rules section that any U.S. based dealer / manufacturer can post links to TT models they are selling and it will NOT be considered spamming. I've also outlined that I will post their banners/adverts on this site for the fee of..........................................................putting a link to this site on theirs = $0.00.

I'm just astonished at the fact that no entity in North America cares enough to register and/or post (read: ADVERTISE). Are they not interested in making money?

Is TT scale here in the US in the state that it's in due in part to the parties who have something to gain not caring?

All links to North American businesses will be removed Jan 1st (the TT Scale Society is exempt).
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: U.S. dealers / manufacturers

Postby jmass » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:55 am

i sometimes wonder that myself. it seems some people out there are happy with tt just the way it is.as much as i would like to see some ready to run locos and freight cars out there, ide be just as happy if thier was more variety of kits to assemble.
jmass

Postby Richard-B » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:34 am

[quote="ConducTTor"]
>I wonder what you guys' thoughts are -
>there is not a single manufacturer or dealer of TT scale items that has any interest in this site.
>SO, if you where one of those entities, why would you not at least register and post once in a while?

1) Because they are almost all following or listed on one or more Yahoo!Groups?
2) Because several of them only advertise in the TT Empire?
3) Because the total TT-scale addressable market is about 200 people in the US... and at least 1/3 of them are NOT on-line?

...So the incremental value to these well-funded (HA!) TT-scale manufacturers would be: ?????

IMHO... There is some interesting information here... but also a high noise-to-signal ratio.
My guess is that > 80% of the participants on this board are the same ones on the other lists.
We -are- a small community...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby railtwister » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:28 pm

ConducTTor wrote:>>>>snip<<<<
All links to North American businesses will be removed Jan 1st (the TT Scale Society is exempt).

Yeah, right! That'll really show them! And it will also really serve the TT community in the US - NOT!
If and when you actually do this, I guess you may as well remove me also.

Regards,
Bill
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:48 pm

Richard-B wrote:1) Because they are almost all following or listed on one or more Yahoo!Groups?

How would someone (who is not a member of one of those groups) browsing the internet, come across any of that information?

Richard-B wrote:2) Because several of them only advertise in the TT Empire?

Why would you ONLY advertise in TT Empire? How many people who are not subscribers are going to see your advertisement? This forum is available to anyone and everyone. And advertising here costs $0.
If it's a conscious decision to only advertise in TT Empire that means those who don't subscribe to it are not welcome in an "exclusive club". Nice....

Richard-B wrote:3) Because the total TT-scale addressable market is about 200 people in the US... and at least 1/3 of them are NOT on-line?

So there is no interest in growing that number? Because if that's the case, the content of this site for should no longer be available to the general public but rather exclusively to it's members. We can call it the "TT Nut Club. Everyone who is not a member please go away". What's the point of that?

Richard-B wrote:... well-funded (HA!)

For the Nth time, the funds required to advertise here are..................I think you get the point............

Richard-B wrote:So the incremental value to these TT-scale manufacturers would be: ?????

A potential sale?

Richard-B wrote:My guess is that > 80% of the participants on this board are the same ones on the other lists.
We -are- a small community...

Obviously you guys don't have access to data for this site. Let me give you some.
The dates are Oct 13th (had some issues with analytics - the 13th is when accurate data reporting started) until today (61 days).

stats1.jpg

stats2.jpg

stats3.jpg

stats4.jpg

What can we deduct from that data?

There have been 1,043 Absolute Unique Visitors. 1,043 > 200.

Close to 36% of traffic originates from search engines. Close to 47% of traffic originates from referrers (some other site is linking to this one). So, by FAR most traffic is NOT generated by the 10 or so of us who post on a regular basis.

35% of traffic comes exclusively from Google - this means when someone does a TT related search on Google (the #1 site on Earth) there is a good chance that they'll end up here.

Looking at traffic from around the world - we will remove the US and Canada since that's where most traffic is coming from - the next top 5 traffic generating countries have accounted for 929 visits. So, there is interest in US TT outside of our continent. If you are selling a product, would you limit yourself to the limited customer base on your continent?

Ok, I'm going to take a breath and come back with some more facts, stats, deductions.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:56 pm

Continuing.

Where do you think you will get more exposure?

stats5.jpg

stats6.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:18 pm

railtwister wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:>>>>snip<<<<

Yeah, right! That'll really show them! And it will also really serve the TT community in the US - NOT!
If and when you actually do this, I guess you may as well remove me also.

Regards,
Bill

Please see the above post for a preamble to this one.

I am doing my best to provide a platform not only for us to talk on - I WANT the businesses to take advantage of a free tool that I'm providing in order to grow themselves. I WANT to some day be able to walk into a hobby shop and buy a TT scale product (At this point that may be a pipe dream but if you have no reason to do things, why bother?). That won't happen unless those guys grow. Maybe I am intellectually inept but I simply can not fathom the concept of a businesses not caring about the potential of growing their customer base. For FREE.

The reasons for this statement:
"All links to North American businesses will be removed Jan 1st (the TT Scale Society is exempt)"

1. If those guys have no interest in helping themselves, what interest do I have in helping them?
2. If everyone who would potentially buy their products knows they exist and where to find them, what's the point of regurgitating that information?
3. If on the other hand removing those links is counter productive, then there is value to them and to this site. If that's the case, I ask again, why do they have no presence here?

Bill, I personally would like you to stick around but it's obviously your choice. That comment was MEANT to piss people off in the hopes that things will change - I've tried the 'nice' way before and it has resulted in nothing.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:23 pm

Just to drive the point home:

THIS SITE GENERATES A PRETTY RESPECTABLE LEVEL OF TRAFFIC. ADVERTISING HERE IS WELCOME AND FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:39 pm

By the way just as a reference, here are traffic stats for Atlas. These stats are for the whole site (forums, products, manuals, support, news, etc., etc,).

stats7.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 am

I'd suggest being patient.

I think TTers in the USA are by and large a bit older than the average modeller, and they have seen a lot of flashes in the pan come and go, and perhaps only commit reluctantly, having been burnt before.

If TTnut is around for five or ten years, then it will become a part of the landscape, and you will probably see a shift toward using the site.

Ben
scaro

Next

Return to General Discussion