U.S. dealers / manufacturers

Re: U.S. dealers / manufacturers

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:21 am

ConducTTor wrote:
AngrySailor302 wrote:...........determination and patience.

I have one of those :D

Do we have to flip a coin to see which one? :D
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:35 am

1. Removal of the links costs you extra effort. Doing nothing by just leaving them there, doesn't.

So you are already up on the deal if you leave them there, no?

2. As acknowledged, this forum does not yet have enough hits to put it on the front page of a Google search using 'TT scale'. I would wait till you are in the top ten before worrying about lack of response. The Internet is just not as important as many of us think it is.

3. In my experience of life, if you want to do a negative act, better make darn sure that the person you want to be negative to is paying attention, or that your act affects him/her in some tangible way. If you don't, the negativity will just stay with you.

Now I realise this makes me sound like a concentration camp guard who got into Buddhism later in life ;) . . . but in my humble experience it is nonetheless so.

Ben
Last edited by scaro on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scaro

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:25 am

A couple more points:
1. Since the purpose of the site is to promote TT scale in North America, links to every known manufacturer and dealer serve that purpose, regardless of those manufacturers' and dealers' attitude.
2. Continuing on the above point, this site serves the needs of individuals, like myself, in both being a discussion place and a resource repository, and links are an integral part of that repository.
It is your choice on how to respond to the North American TTers apathy - be offended, irritated, or mildly disappointed. I would hope it's just the latter.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby railtwister » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 pm

Man, I must really be missing something here. First, unless you've already deleted this long list of U.S. manufacturers, I only see two there, one of which was just posted in the last couple of weeks. Also, while I'm looking, I notice that most of the posts to this list are only coming from a small handful of members, so applying the same logic to members as we seem to be applying to the manufacturers, is the next step to remove those who haven't posted in the last month or two? Why not? If they aren't posting, who will miss them anyway?

I understand that you put a lot of work into this list, and I can also understand being frustrated that all(?) the domestic manufacturers haven't exactly jumped on the bandwagon. But let's be realistic, TT is the biggest minority (oxymoron?) of all the minority scales. Even Z is bigger. A TT scale convention could probably be held in a phone booth and still have room for Superman to change his outfit! :D Just kidding! Besides, where can you even find a phone booth nowadays? But really, I think you may be expecting a bit too much, too soon. While TT is over 60 years old, this list is still very young. Truthfully, there aren't a lot of American manufacturers of TT out there, nor are there a lot of TT customers, and most who post on this list seem to be interested primarily in European prototypes. Having the links is a good step towards putting the two together, removing the links helps no one, not even this list. I wonder, just out of curiosity, if any business has been generated at all (for any US manufacturers) by having links on this list?

One thing this list could benefit from is some nice pictures of TT layouts. I know some have been posted to the list, but they are hard to find. Perhaps a photo album would be a good idea, at least all the pictures could be in one place. I know not all group software is not as friendly towards posting photos as Yahoo groups, but photos give casual visitors something to see, and a reason to come back.

Cheer up!
Bill
railtwister

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 pm

This is a lot easier to use than Yahoo groups, at least as far as I am concerned.

There are a number here that are interested in US Prototype TT, but with the low availability of new North American Proto TT, it is often easier to obtain European Proto TT.

I agree with Railtwister, deleting links would do nobody any good at all. After my old computer Haggis itself, I used the links list here in TTnut.com to find the sites for Possum Valley, and Coastal Engineering to place orders with them, hence my Go Mango colored PVM 25T Plymouth, and my forthcoming Coastal Engineering supplies and CN Boxcar.

The links do work!

Here is a question for all those out here; how many out here are "doubled-up"? Nicholle uses my account to post things here as well, just not as often as I do. So membership here is slightly more than the number of people registered.

Many of the people that are more active in TT scale manufacturing are pretty heavily vested in TT_IMS on Yahoo.groups, and from what I have seen some do not seem to be too computer savvy.

I am pretty confident (I will wager $50 on this, ConducTTor) that when economic conditions improve and more people are able to resume / start modeling, and after TTnut.com has been around for a while and has become "established", more new items will be released, and those manufacturers will more actively push their products.

Given the prior history of people getting burned on TT products (remember the T-set fiasco?), some of the older and more established TT producers seem to be a little more content with being somewhat passive of their advertising efforts.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:05 pm

scaro wrote:When I google 'TT scale' the ttscale.com site comes up first. TTnut is only on the second page, way behind other dead TT forums like the ScaleRailsOnline one.

We're getting there http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tt+scale
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:16 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
We're getting there

That's good progress, and you have fresh content here, a lot of those other sites are stale and out of date.
I think TT can grow from adding new modelers who are presently modeling in other scales due to lack of TT product. The problem is there's not a lot of confidence in the manufacturing ranks to test the TT waters. If more of them would take the Gold coast route of one nice model it wouldn't take long for enough models to be available to attract the wanna be TT modelers.
Product is everything, it can even sell a redundant scale like ON30.
I'm a pretty experienced modeler and even I'm having a hard time coming up with enough stuff to build a layout so I can imagine how hard it is for younger modelers to give TT a try . The one indisputable thing TT has going for it is the laws of physics so it's time will eventually come :>) ..........dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:28 am

ctxmf74 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:
We're getting there

That's good progress, and you have fresh content here, a lot of those other sites are stale and out of date.
I think TT can grow from adding new modelers who are presently modeling in other scales due to lack of TT product. The problem is there's not a lot of confidence in the manufacturing ranks to test the TT waters. If more of them would take the Gold coast route of one nice model it wouldn't take long for enough models to be available to attract the wanna be TT modelers.
Product is everything, it can even sell a redundant scale like ON30.
I'm a pretty experienced modeler and even I'm having a hard time coming up with enough stuff to build a layout so I can imagine how hard it is for younger modelers to give TT a try . The one indisputable thing TT has going for it is the laws of physics so it's time will eventually come :>) ..........dave

Gold Coast has informed us that they're looking at adding a new model or two, Norkin-Model from Russia is working on US loco brass etchings and the TT Scale Society is moving closer and closer to a GP38-2. There are a few others that are producing TT scale parts or kits. Heck, even I will be giving a good look into what producing a wagon will take. Thanks to the kick Haggis members of this site, we're starting to gather more and more info on what one can do to model US stuff. We'll get there.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:32 am

Can I give a tip on a car to do? Tank car, a very common design like a UTL type X - ran from steam era into the late 60s.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Previous

Return to General Discussion