Two Stall Enginehouse

Two Stall Enginehouse

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm going to do a Step By Step of building a two stall enginehouse from scratch.

OK, enough talk and of playing 3D CAD engineer. Lets get this project underway before the wood rots. [:D]

I drew up the wall and printed it out. I used some spray glue and stuck it to the back of a ceiling tile. Covered it with wax paper.

The CAD drawing:

I'm using Higgins black ink diluted with denatured alcohol. I don't remember the ratio. I'm using some fine steel wool to get rid of the fuzzies and a soft bristled.

A quick pull through the steel wool on all four sides takes care of the fuzz left from cutting the wood.

Next I deluged the wood with the ink/alcohol mix. Made sure I got all four sides. Then I let it dry over night before I stain it with some Burnt Umber diluted with denatured alcohol.

This is the first batch of wood I stained to see if what I used above would look OK. Close enough as I learn about staining. As soon as the second batch of wood is stained I'll start on the assembly of the first wall. The drawing has been glued to a piece of ceiling tile and covered with wax paper.

Time for a really sharp blade in the Exacto knife.

Bernd
Bernd

Re: Two Stall Enginehouse

Postby Bernd » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm

I was about ready to start building the "WALL" on the ceiling tile and had a thought. If I use pins to hold the wood in alignment on the print, what would happen if I had to move it slightly. I'd wind up with a bunch of holes and loose pins. Then I remembered seeing modelers using a steel plate and magnets. The light bulb went on. [:-bulb]

I had a sheet of steal 12" X 24" and a bunch of Neodymium magnets from my torque drive experiment. More on this after this picture.

This is the second batch of timber I stained using Higgin's Black Ink/denatured alcohol mix and Burnt Sienna Acrylic paint thinned with denatured alcohol.

Slopping on the stain.

And the full lumber load the next day.

Here's the new jig for holding all those tiny wood pieces. It's a piece of 1/16" thick 12" by 24" steal plate. I used an orbital sander on it to get rid of any bumps in the metal and wiped it down with some thinner to get rid of any oil residue. Next I made two straight edges from 1/4" thick aluminum and milled the edges for sharp corners. The drawing and wax paper was then sprayed with the spray adhesive and put down. Using four 1/2" X 1/2" x 3/4" magnets on each straight edge to hold down the straight edges. I'm going to have to mill some pockets and epoxy the magnets into them. The 1/4" thick aluminum is a bit thick for the magnets to hold the straight edge down well enough.

Here's an assortment of magnets I have. I was thinking of taking some .040" styrene strips about a 1/4" wide to make clamps out of, but I think just using the assortment of magnets will work OK.

I used a square to make sure the two straight edges where would produce a square corner. This is were I found out that the aluminum straight edges were not holding at their maximum strength.

Then using smaller magnets to hold the wood in place until the glue dries. I didn't glue these two pieces together yet.

That's it for now. I call this my "glue up jig/fixture". Right now I'm waiting for some glue bottles to arrive. These bottles were suggested by a member on another forum. I ordered something a bit different, plus some other syringes for resin casting. So the project is on hold until I mill those pockets in the aluminum straight edges and those glue bottles arrive.

Those who are interested in the magnets can go here and look at all the different size and shape magnets. I have no affiliation with this company other than a satisfied customer. https://www.kjmagnetics.com/

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Man, I have zero interest in making structures. Love watching them get made though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby MacG » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:41 am

That's an interesting idea with the jig. I'm looking forward to the production of the wall. The wood looks good.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bernd » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:35 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Man, I have zero interest in making structures. Love watching them get made though!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's only one aspect of the hobby. Some are interested, some aren't. Glad your watching from the sidelines and thanks for commenting. Make doing something like this worth while.

Bernd
Last edited by Bernd on Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:40 pm

MacG wrote:That's an interesting idea with the jig. I'm looking forward to the production of the wall. The wood looks good.

The idea has been around for a while. I've seen other modelers use something similar. I just expanded on the idea. Jigs and fixture make for easy making of parts and assembly of said parts. Something I learned while working in the machine tool industry. The wood part I've learned from modelers building structures on the Railroad Line Forum. That forum is geared more toward kit and scratch building. I'll continue to post on the engine house until it is completed. May take a while so be patient.

Thanks for stopping by looking and commenting. Makes doing something like this worth while.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby tomvanhoy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:49 pm

What do you mean when you said the aluminum straight edges were not holding to their maximum strength? I assume you are talking about the metal bars that the bar magnets are sitting on? Are they clamped to the work surface?
Thanks,
Tom
tomvanhoy

Postby Bernd » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:16 pm

tomvanhoy wrote:What do you mean when you said the aluminum straight edges were not holding to their maximum strength? I assume you are talking about the metal bars that the bar magnets are sitting on? Are they clamped to the work surface?
Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

If you put one of those magnets that are on top of the aluminum straight edge on to the sheet metal you wouldn't be able to move it. The 1/4" thickness is enough to weaken the strength of the magnet holding down the aluminum straight edge. What I need to do is to mill a pocket into the aluminum so that there is a bout 1/16" to 1/32" thickness between the magnet and the steal plate. This will bring the magnet closer to the sheet metal thus having more holding power. The further the magnet moves from the steal plate the less pull it will have.

Those small magnets that are holding the wood in place are very difficult to move around. Remember these are Neodymium magnets. They are very powerful.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby tomvanhoy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:58 pm

OK, didn't realize that was a steel plate underneath and couldn't figure out how the aluminum was being held in place! Fun with magnets!
tomvanhoy

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:12 pm

tomvanhoy wrote:OK, didn't realize that was a steel plate underneath and couldn't figure out how the aluminum was being held in place! Fun with magnets!

Yes, that is a steal plate 1/16" thick and 12" X 24". I'll take some individual pictures of each part before I start assembling the wall.

Bernd
Bernd

Next

Return to Builders' Corner