Two Stall Enginehouse

Re: Two Stall Enginehouse

Postby Bernd » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:39 pm

A bit of an update. I started to build the wall. The magnets are great for holding the "spaghetti like" wood in place.

I now know what my next BIG project is. It's the "Shay Wood Mitre" or "Calibre Cutter". It's a pain in the butt cutting those small short pieces of wood.

Here's a picture of what the "Shay Wood Miter" or "Calibre Cutter" looks like. The Shay Wood Miter was the original design. These were produced by TR Smith back in 1975 as the Shay Wood Mitre and sold for $20.

This is the Calibre Cutter. I'm going to use this design to build my own.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby MacG » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:28 am

Yes. This tool would be very helpful. But the wall looks already good at all. :thumbup:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:33 pm

But will you be able to maintain Jack's original pricing on it?
Tom Dempsey

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:08 pm

MacG wrote:Yes. This tool would be very helpful. But the wall looks already good at all. :thumbup:

Thank you MacG. I do a little bit at a time. It's nice to sit in the shop and do something like this. To me it's very relaxing and stress relieving.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:14 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:But will you be able to maintain Jack's original pricing on it?

To build one for myself would probably be cheaper than the original price. I know you inquired once about this tool. I still haven't come up with something I'm happy with. As far as producing it for public consumption, I would look into a shop making the parts for me to assemble. Doing this TT scale project has me looking into making one of these tools and possibly looking into a commercial product. Lets just say I have more of an interest in building one now that I have a need for it.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby MacG » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Bernd wrote:... It's nice to sit in the shop and do something like this. To me it's very relaxing and stress relieving.

Bernd

Here it is the same. After my today business work, I have built at the module of Taxari. I have soldered the 5 wires to the polarization switch of the turnout and then cut some thread in the manual switch rods. That relaxed me.
Last edited by MacG on Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Rich1853 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:40 pm

Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:20 pm

Rich1853 wrote:I remembered seeing an older version of this a few years a go.
https://evergreenscalemodels.com/products/chopper-ii

https://www.midwesttechnology.com/the-c ... ne-cutter/

Ah yes the old North West Short Line choppers. Biggest complaint on them was that they didn't cut a good square corner. It seemed to cut a slight angle do to razor blade flex.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:42 pm

I was getting a bit frustrated cutting all the pieces to the same length so I came up with two quick jigs. Note the "manual" chopper.

And the second length jig.

Pretty self explanatory I think.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 am

Got the first wall all studded in. Didn't break anything getting it off of the wax paper. I know one thing I'm going to do before I start the next wall and that is quickly build a chopper for now. Wood has been ordered for the board by board wall construction. Here's some statistics for one wall. It will take 80 individual boards at 2.45" long, making for a total length of boards to be used on one side 16'4" actual length. So I ordered 10pkgs. of 12 boards per pkg. at 11" long. These are HO scale 1" X 8". That'll make the boards 1.44" thick by 11.52" wide in TT scale close enough if you don't have a TT scale ruler at hand. The wood is from Northeast Scale Lumber.

Bernd
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to Builders' Corner