turnout dimensions

turnout dimensions

Postby Carsten » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi,
what types of turnouts are common on mainlines and harbour sidings?
#4, #5, #6, #7 and so on.
I would like to ask http://www.handlaidtrack.com/ for Turnout Assembly Fixtures, Twist Ties, PointForm Filing Jig in TT.
Additional question: common tie dimension and distances between them?
Thanks for your help.
Carsten
Carsten

Re: turnout dimensions

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:11 pm

I ask him about making TT jigs about two months ago and he said he was not interested. I hope you can change his mind because I intend to do my layout in No 8 and No 10 turnouts. By the way, are you the same Carsten who made the GP-9B and chopnose 9 on the other board?
Tom Dempsey

Postby Carsten » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:57 am

Yes, that's me :wink:
Carsten

Postby TT-SouthAfrica » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:05 am

I'd love to know what the issue is with the manufacture of items for TT, even though I take my hat off to various Manufacturers whom we know are producing some incredible stuff, there seems to be a trend of disregard toward TT as a possible line by many manufacturers as well as pure ignorance toward it. Being possibly the only True TT scale Modeler in South Africa, as 12mm Track is used here by the 009 modelers (narrow gauge) For me TT has been an Ideal Gauge and still is.

I'd love to see other manufacturers begin offering products for TT and those involved in the industry like those owning model shops to add it as a suggestion in between the other common scales. The "hand laid track" website offers products in nearly every model Scale ever been produced, yet no TT... and it's things like this I feel as Fellow TT'ers we need to correct, I think one or two people placing a query might not create major interest,yet if it's in great numbers it may be possible to begin making changes.
Regards
Gareth Owen
The one and possibly only South African TT'er
TT-SouthAfrica

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:22 am

Thinking about the future I am looking for larger turnouts.

Right now we have 15 degree turnouts which are sharper than a number 4 which is 14 1/4 degrees and are really only suitable for an industrial switching line.

A 12 degree turnout is sharper than a number 5 which is 11 1/2 degrees.

I don't see anything equivalent to a number 6 turnout - 9 1/2 degrees or a number 8 turnout - 7 degrees.

Short of hand laying does anybody make a turnouts in these sizes?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby j p » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:36 am

Yes, but that is in high quality and price - and European style.
tt filigran makes shortened turnouts number 5, 6, 8 (that is 11.3, 9.46, 7.12 degrees)
and full length turnout number 14 (4.08 degrees)
Please note that those are code 60.
j p

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:22 pm

j p wrote:Yes, but that is in high quality and price - and European style.
tt filigran makes shortened turnouts number 5, 6, 8 (that is 11.3, 9.46, 7.12 degrees)
and full length turnout number 14 (4.08 degrees)
Please note that those are code 60.

Thank you JP. They do look very nice but oh what a price! I could blow the budget on one passing siding and forget about a yard.

I have looked at Peco HOm track. I know it is way out of scale in appearance but I like the snap action switches. Might do for a hidden staging yard.

Fast Tracks makes turnout jigs for HOm #6 and #7 (they imply that a #5 is coming) turnouts for code 55, 70 and 83 rail that could be used with a bit of work. Currently they are only for canted ties - the ties are perpendicular to a line bisecting the straight and diverging routes. Need to inquire as to when they would be doing Straight Tie versions - ties perpendicular to the main route. Their web page implies that they are going to make these versions.

Code 55 scales out to 120 pound Rail in North America so would be the best choice.
Code 70 is heavier than any rail ever used. Pennsylvania 155 pound rail scales out to .067".
Code 40 scales out to 75 pound rail.
Peco makes a code 60 rail that scales out to 132 pound rail so would be good for modern mainline track.
If you wanted to model 100 pound rail you need to find or make code 50 rail.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:02 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Fast Tracks makes turnout jigs for HOm #6 and #7 (they imply that a #5 is coming) turnouts for code 55, 70 and 83 rail that could be used with a bit of work. Currently they are only for canted ties - the ties are perpendicular to a line bisecting the straight and diverging routes. Need to inquire as to when they would be doing Straight Tie versions - ties perpendicular to the main route. Their web page implies that they are going to make these versions.

I contacted Fast Tracks about his and got the reply: "The HOm assembly fixtures with straight ties are on Tim's never-ending "To Do" list but do not have a very high priority at this time. It's expected that they will become available later this year."

So I can wait or look at the current jig and see if it can be made to work.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CSD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:24 pm

Michael at A&D was doing some American style turnout kits. Perhaps you could ask him where he's at with it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CSD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Mark
//S
CSD

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans