turnout dimensions

Re: turnout dimensions

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:15 pm

CSD wrote:Michael at A&D was doing some American style turnout kits. Perhaps you could ask him where he's at with it.

But the big questions are price and availability.

I know that the Fast Tracks jig and tools(#7 PointForm Filing Jig for Code 40 & 55 Rail, StockAid Stock Rail Filing Tool For ME Code 40 & 55 Rail and new file) and bits (rail, solder, PC Ties, wood ties) will cost me $300 but that will build at least 20 turnouts at $ 15 each. With more turnouts the price drops even lower.

Compared to those wonderful tt filigran turnouts, that is a bargain. For the price of five of their turnouts, I have 20 and the tools to make more.

No time to do that now but definitely an option for the future so I can wait and see if Fast Tracks comes out with the right jig.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:37 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Thinking about the future I am looking for larger turnouts.

Right now we have 15 degree turnouts which are sharper than a number 4 which is 14 1/4 degrees and are really only suitable for an industrial switching line.

A 12 degree turnout is sharper than a number 5 which is 11 1/2 degrees.

I don't see anything equivalent to a number 6 turnout - 9 1/2 degrees or a number 8 turnout - 7 degrees.

Short of hand laying does anybody make a turnouts in these sizes?

Just saw this old thread -
BK Enterprises offers Code 55 and 70 TT-gauge ready-to-spike turnouts and ~kits, #4, 5, 6, 8 for $20 +/-
Also curved turnouts for $30 +/-
See at http://www.troutcreekeng.com/bktt.html -
These would seem to be a good alternative for those not inclined to build their own.
Caveat: I have not used or seen one.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby Tom Dempsey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Two times I tried to order them, never got a reply, I'll be interested in seeing if someone actually gets one built.
Tom Dempsey

Postby TTTerrific » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:32 pm

I sent an e-mail to Trout Creek Engineering alerting the proprietor to this TTNut thread--hoping for a response. I checked out the site and noted a lot of good information about track laying, plus TT products at very reasonable prices.
TTTerrific

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:08 pm

"I know that the Fast Tracks jig and tools(#7 PointForm Filing Jig for Code 40 & 55 Rail, StockAid Stock Rail Filing Tool For ME Code 40 & 55 Rail and new file) and bits (rail, solder, PC Ties, wood ties) will cost me $300 but that will build at least 20 turnouts at $ 15 each. With more turnouts the price drops even lower."

Once you understand the process all you really need is the point form filing jig and the pc ties and rail. The turnout jig is just a convenience but only if you plan to make all the turnouts the same size. Building them without a jig is a lot more flexible in your layout design and construction. The filing jig is a big improvement over trying to hold the small TT size rails while filing but for larger rail sizes even it is unnecessary. Folks were handlaying turnouts long before Fastracks was dreamed up....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby gerhard_k » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:41 am

gerhard_k wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Thinking about the future I am looking for larger turnouts.

Right now we have 15 degree turnouts which are sharper than a number 4 which is 14 1/4 degrees and are really only suitable for an industrial switching line.

A 12 degree turnout is sharper than a number 5 which is 11 1/2 degrees.

I don't see anything equivalent to a number 6 turnout - 9 1/2 degrees or a number 8 turnout - 7 degrees.

Short of hand laying does anybody make a turnouts in these sizes?

Just saw this old thread -
BK Enterprises offers Code 55 and 70 TT-gauge ready-to-spike turnouts and ~kits, #4, 5, 6, 8 for $20 +/-
Also curved turnouts for $30 +/-
See at http://www.troutcreekeng.com/bktt.html
These would seem to be a good alternative for those not inclined to build their own.
Caveat: I have not used or seen one.

This is going to be a 2-topic reply.

Topic #1 - BK Turnouts:
I emailed BK and got a reply in one day:
Yes, we do still make TT turnouts as listed on our website. We do not stock anything, as all turnouts are made to order. The prices on the website are about 10% low, as we raised prices October 2011, but have not been able to get into the website to change them. We have to have a new site made. We can also supply TT ties and the PSC track gauges, but do not carry any of the other products.
As far as the size of the orders, we have no minimum. We regularly do 1 turnout for an order.
Clifford A. Mestel
BK Enterprises

Topic #2 - Turnout Dimensions - re Bill Dixon's post:
The Tillig turnouts are not as sharp as a first glance would indicate.
I recently received some Tillig EW2 and EW3 turnouts from Euro Train Hobby. These are really very nicely made, all running surfaces are metal, only the guard rails are plastic; the nicely machined point rails are continuous with a thinned section for flexing, the stock rails have a relief for the point rails to nestle into, and there is a soldering tab for powering the frog (but no explicit means of powering the point rails, except contact with the stock rail). Also, the tie base is flexible enough to allow the straight leg to be curved to over ½ the radius of the original curved leg, in either direction.
EW2: L = 6.5"; 15° departure angle at end of curved section, 20 ties from point of blade to frog, 7 ties to exit end; the frog itself measures about 12°, and using the tie number ratio (assuming a constant curvature) =>11.2°, so this is very close to a #5 = 11.5° - should be perfect for yards. The only problem is that the curvature (R = 631mm = 24.8") continues past the frog, which might not be easy to eliminate for use in yard ladders; the last few ties can probably be split to straighten the rails, but the 3-4 ties closest to the frog need to remain as is.
EW3: L = 8.1"; 12° departure angle at end of curved section, uniform curve throughout the length (R = 984mm = 38.7"), 25 ties from point of blade to frog, 9 ties to exit end; frog measures between 9.5° and 10°, and using the tie number ratio =>8.8°, so we could really consider this turnout to be a #6, which = 9.5°. And as pointed out in another thread, the Filigran #6 and Tillig EW3 have virtually identical geometry when laid on top of each other.
So if I wind up using Tillig turnouts, I will be very happy with EW2's in yards and sidings, and EW3's on the main line.
Hopefully this info will be generally helpful.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby j p » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:35 am

gerhard_k, see the guide for improving of your Tillig turnouts.
http://www.ttnut.com/tillig-turnout-kits-guide-t1643.html
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:41 pm

gerhard_k wrote:So if I wind up using Tillig turnouts, I will be very happy with EW2's in yards and sidings, and EW3's on the main line.

That's my thinking as well. I am not however happy with the code 83 rail.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Zs12 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:25 am

Back to the initial question: What's the standard turnout type in NA? In Europe it was the EW 49 or 54-190-1:9 turnout (similar to type #9) with 190 m radius for decades, because 180 m is the smallest curve radius permitted in public railway infrastructure due to the coupler chain problem. Its basic geometry allows just 40 km/h, but in many cases that's sufficient and it can be bent to straighter wye types, if necessary.
Zs12

Postby j p » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:35 am

Nr. 9 is not the standard type turnout in Europe, it is one of many standard type turnouts.
DSB (now BaneDanmark) had 15 types of standard turnouts, the longest one is 1:26.5 (nr. 26.5)
Other European railroads may have even more standard types.

For TT scale turnouts geometry check http://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/standards/sandrp/pdf/rp-12.5.pdf

Anyway, I don't think that there is a simple answer to your original question. You would have to narrow it to a specific railroad, rail type, and period.
I can tell you that for Pennsy in 1905, the standard turnouts were nr. 6, 8, 10, 15 & 20. Later only nr. 8, 10, 15 & 20. I do not know about the other NA railroads. (The Pennsy standards are available at http://prr.railfan.net/standards/standards.cgi?plan=&rr=&type=TRACKWORK)

- Jan
j p

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans