TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:08 am

Bill Dixon wrote:I am relocating the controls on my number six crossover module from the front to the back side where they are out of reach of little hands. It needed a back fascia so I took the time to make a few more. Just as easy to paint four fascia as it is one.

20180806_controls on the back.jpg
Controls moved to the new back fascia, safely out of sight of little hands.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Richard-B » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:Controls moved to the new back fascia, safely out of sight of little hands.
...and larger hands attached to less than fully sentient entities!
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:26 am

It's been too hot to do much but work is getting done. Mostly after 11pm when the house starts cooling down.
My pack of laser cut modules arrived Tuesday. Started assembly on the first one that night.

Cleaned off my table saw to get a level surface to work on
Put down a layer of wax paper and built the module on top of that. Didn't care about the orientation of the two center supports. The two end pieces were bowed so I oriented them so the ends bowed out. I did the same with the sides.
All joints got a liberal amount of glue. Then the whole assembly had two bungie cords wrapped around it to hold everything in place. Checked to make sure all the joints were tight and left it to dry overnight.
The next day I glued the track down. I could only find two insulated railjoiners so one track was cut.

Then it was time for feet. It took a bit of scrounging to find my last four mounting blocks. Glued in place and clamped until dry. Bought more blocks today.
Didn't have any spare feet so I took two off of each return loop. Need to buy more feet.
Tonight I glued the fascia on.
This the current state of the module.
20180810_power module.jpg

The PSX-2s should arrive tomorrow.

Have the second module glued up.
Cooler weather has arrived, for a day or so, so may get a bit busier.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:34 am

Hi Bill,
Looks good! Pre-fab makes life a lot easier! What company makes the laser-cut modules? I wasn’t aware of anyone making modules cut to TT-Tracks dimensions. Be sure that your track that had the rails cut for insulation purposes won’t suffer from unwanted rail movement that closes the gap. On Kato N UniTrack each rail is only anchored to the roadbed at one end, so once cut, the other end of the rail can move, especially when plugging the tracks together (I’m not sure, TT Track may be similar).

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:49 pm

A bit bagged today. Home late from the airport. Met a midnight flight.

This the current state of the module.
20180812_Power Moduole ready for wiring.jpg

Have done basic painting before scenery is applied.
The PSX-2s have arrived. Now ready to do the wiring.

The second module is assembled and painting on ends and front edges is done.
I may glue the third one tonight.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:04 pm

railtwister wrote:Hi Bill,
Looks good! Pre-fab makes life a lot easier! What company makes the laser-cut modules? I wasn’t aware of anyone making modules cut to TT-Tracks dimensions. Be sure that your track that had the rails cut for insulation purposes won’t suffer from unwanted rail movement that closes the gap. On Kato N UniTrack each rail is only anchored to the roadbed at one end, so once cut, the other end of the rail can move, especially when plugging the tracks together (I’m not sure, TT Track may be similar).

Bill in FtL

The company is: Precision Design Co.http://www.pdc.ca/rr/catalog/product/tt-tracks-modules/59
The kit is:
20180812_Module Kit.jpg
A top, identical front and back, four identical ends/middle supports.

It glues up into:
20180812_Assembled Module.jpg

The laser cut lines on the top are to align the track. Four each of the four track (optional front track, front main, rear main, and optional back track) you get two lines. The center line of the track and the back edge of bedding track. Makes it easy to get the right track spacing.
I have found that if you use 1" blocks to mount your feet that if you center the mounting hole on the block, the feet just protrude under the end. I am going to offset the holes on the new feet i am makimg.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:27 am

Hi Bill,

I’m having trouble trying to visualize your issue with the 1” leg blocks and offsetting the holes, can you post some pictures? What are you using for feet? On some of my TT modules I used 1.5” leg blocks with centered holes, and I felt those feet (1/4-20 x 2.5” FH Phillips screws with rubber pads glued to the flat heads to protect table surfaces from scratches and slots cut in the threaded ends to accept a flat bladed screwdriver for adjustment from the top) were too far inboard and considered offsetting them closer to the outer edge of the modules. Later, I switched the adjuster feet on my N-Trak modules to use 2.5” nylon hex head set screws, accessed from the top through holes in the module surface. The hex heads were a lot easier to fit a hex-end ball driver into without having to align a flat screwdriver, and the nylon prevents scratching the table. This made leveling the modules at a setup a lot easier than trying to use the traditional carriage bolts, accessed from underneath.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Richard-B » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
railtwister wrote:I have found that if you use 1" blocks to mount your feet that if you center the mounting hole on the block, the feet just protrude under the end.
I went one size larger for my corner blocks... and bought a length of 1-3/4in square Oak... which is really 1-5/8in.

The 1-inch adjustable feet came with plastic inserts which fit into holes bored at the center of the block. The oak is VERY strong... and resists cracking or splintering. See photo
TT-Tracks RB.jpg
TT-Tracks underneath
You can also see the two metal 'T-nuts' used to align and fasten the sections together; one side has the threads drilled-out so a bolt slips through tightly, and engages the threads on the adjacent section.
The Kato track connectors are still in place... I will add PowerPoles before VTE in November.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:41 pm

Got a bit of work lined up.
29180813 lots of work lined up.jpg

The PSX-2s are ready for installation. I have the basic wiring diagram figured out. Thinking about LEDs on the surface indicating Power OK or a Short for each district. Really should put a Power Substation model on the module. Who makes a reasonable one in TT-Scale? Would like one with transformers, etc.

Have my bag of foot blocks and packages of feet. Ready to make another twelve for the three remaining laser cut modules.

The small blocks are for mounting the PSXs under the module. I will glue the blocks to the module and screw the PSXs to the blocks.

Third module is glued and drying.
The current iteration of the plan for the second BCSME setup needs Module 41 so that will be the next one built. As time and enthusiasm (and weather) permits, I will start on the other modules.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:40 am

Bill Dixon wrote:One of the comments I remember from last weeks display was, 'Where's the tunnel?'.
If I do this on a straight module it will take up all of a storage box.
On the other hand, the box that holds the new two-piece corner has good top clearance so a corner piece would be a better candidate for the tunnel. Now to find two two-track tunnel portals that will work and also figure out what to do about pantographs.

This might also be the solution for scenicing the end loops. Scenic the connecting edge of the module up to a tunnel portal and have everything behind it be off stage.

I acquired two double track tunnel portals.
20180813_tunnel portal.jpg
It looks like the will be OK with US equipment but I am note sure about the Double deck passenger cars. We will check that at the next setup.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans