TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:14 pm

Module M20 was built a few years ago using a FastTrack HOm jig.
Module 20.jpg
It looks good and ran well with North American equipment but had problems with European flanges.

Talking with FastTracks in Indianapolis we came up with a way to use their jigs to make new turnouts that are European flange friendly, but that didn't help with this already finished module. Thinking about what we had talked about I came up with some ideas.
Module 20 example.jpg
The guard rails (red) are soldered in two places. I unsoldered one end and used a screwdriver to increase the gap, using the very scientific measurement method of "that looks about right". Then I did the other end. The frogs (yellow) were next. I found a small flat file with a smooth back and filed only the wing rails.

Then I tested both turnouts with my modern Busch tank car. It tracks well through the turnouts and crossover. US equipment seems to be OK as well.
20180709_Module 20 Modified.jpg
We will try the module in the upcoming display and see how it works with full trains.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Module M08 was built many years ago as a straight module.
When the new two piece corner was made to replace the Two-Foot Square Wye Corner (M13), we lost access to the back industrial track.
Module M08 was quickly modified to provide access to the back industrial track. This left the front track from the Station module hanging.
M08M29 Mod..jpg
I am going to add a RH turnout and track to connect this track back up.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Rich1853 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
Need pictures on track side details for European railways. Since most of the equipment out there is European the modules might as well have a European flavor. I will try to keep it generic enough so that US equipment will not look too out of place.

Anybody know where I can get a piece or two of construction equipment?

Bill Dixon (Insert Smiley of person waiting impatiently. Not bouncing on the chair yet but getting close! )

Hi Bill, Hallmark makes Tonka Keepsake Christmas Tree Ornaments: Mighty Dump Truck, Mighty Front Loader, Road Grader, Mighty Tonka Bulldozer.
IMO these are too large for vehicles you see at construction sites, but if you are doing an open mining operation they might work as those vehicles are large.
Regards
Rich
Melbourne, Florida
Last edited by Rich1853 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rich1853

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:35 pm

This is my second try at installing the turnout.
20180715_second try.jpg
The first time glue got in the turnout.
After taking it a part and cleaning it out, it works.
Was more carefull with the glue this time.
Will add ballast and grass tomorrow when the glue is dry.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Module M08 is ready for service.
20180716_M08.jpg
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Module 30 was a plain module with a few trees and the appearance of an abandoned rail spur.
As I had a spare LH turnout and a few track bits, I installed a working spur.
201807 Module 30.jpg
When the glue is dry tomorrow, I will update the scenery.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:59 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Module 30 . . . . When the glue is dry tomorrow, I will update the scenery.

Scenery is done.
Slowing down today. Out and about to eight stops today, grovery stores, Hallmark to look at the new ornaments (nothing really TT but the Church looks interesting), Canadian Blood Services, Library, Miniso, R P Electronics for some regulators, Imperial Hobbies, and IHOP for a good brunch. Was too hot and did too much. Crashed for a while.

Still started on module 6, the farm module.
2013 rh crossover module.jpg
This old picture (2013) shows it in good condition. In reality several of the fence posts were broken and it did not look good. Those have been fixed and I am going to add figures and something else to it. That will be tomorrows job after tomorrows running around. Going to be another hot day and $$ for probate fees.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 am

While working on Module M20 I came across this picture from Portland.
20150830 14 FastTracks.jpg
This shows two proper #6 turnouts I built at a clinic there.
So somewhere, I have two proper North American #6 turnouts. I should find these and make matching turnout so I can update two crossover modules, or make two new ones. I will think about this after we find out if my turnout modifications work.

Of course if I make more new modules I am up against the transportation problem again, I need more 48 liter Really Useful Boxes. Nobody up here carries them.

Another thought was to do a standalone four to six foot module using only these turnouts and connect it to the layout by a spur. West Agony has always intrigued me. http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2018/06/my-ballard-track-arrangement.htmlIn HO it was 2' x 7'. It could be 18" x 6' in TT in three pieces. It would also spur some structure building. We shall see.
Hope to get some equipment worked on before the weekend.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:38 am

Bill Dixon wrote:
Still started on module 6, the farm module..

Successful day with the courts.$$ Now to wait.

Finished wiring the module and adding figures.
Now ready for the show.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:20 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Module M20 was built a few years ago using a FastTrack HOm jig.
20180720_no 6 crossover.jpg

We will try the module in the upcoming display and see how it works with full trains.

Initial testing showed this module is working well.
One thing we noted, the turnout operating controls are on the outside of the module.
A fascia will be added to the rear of the module and the controls relocated there.

For all of our new crossover modules we should think about adding some sort of signal so we can tell at a distance if the turnouts are thrown.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans