TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Shoot, even a turnout or two would help break-up the appearance of a "NASCAR Train Track".

I must admit that my first modular TT layout was nothing more than two loops of track, but it was better than nothing, though.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Richard-B » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:18 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Shoot, even a turnout or two would help break-up the appearance of a "NASCAR Train Track"
I can assure you... the curves will NOT be bare cork!!!

...and the TT-Tracks straight modules will add a lot of interest, especially if those are what are spectator-accessible.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 am

dileTTante wrote:First impressions - Straight track at the folding joints seems a much better idea. I hope any changes result in a better joint. As it is now the poor joint causes derailment at high speeds and can't be good for traction tires at any speed. Bigger curves are better for performance and appearance, and they allow longer trains. The folding modules are well done, but while they are manageable, they are heavy and not the easiest to set up -- and the hinges are something I've never seen on a real railroad. So a multi-piece module might be better.
-Terry C

Here is an idea for a multi module end loop of R4 R5.
Multi Module Loops R4 R5.jpg

The three light green modules already exist.
The two drab green corner modules would be made from already existing 2-foot square corners. Just lop off the two corners and add new fascia. Would make them lighter.
The two white triangle represent #6 turnouts. I would have to make them as well as a matching crossing. If a matching crossing existed I could use 12 degree turnouts.
This loop would require two auto reverse modules.
Scenery would be basic. If you wished you could add a storage track or two to the inside. I would resist adding a R6 loop to the outside as that might make the track too close to the edge.

|If this was done in single track it would be easier to build, require no turnouts and only one auto reverse module.You might be able to fit everything in one corner box. Have to do some more doodling.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:16 am

This design with double tracks looks like it's essentially a passing siding. I don't see much gained by that, considering the expense and effort involved. A single track version would do. And thanks for wanting to improve things.
- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Having a few minutes free this morning I sketched up a very minimal loop.
Miinimal Multi Part Loop.jpg

It requires seven pieces.
Three identical curved pieces.
One curve cut away so it fits along side a straight section to give 43mm track spacing.
One straight modified to fit along side the modified curve.
One matching straight and one 43mm straight to make the geometry work.

It is show on top of the current size diamond corner I have.
It is shown on 30" wide tables but would fit on 24" wide tables.

They would be a bit floppy so the Fascia would provide the stiffness.

As we would not be having any more than minimal scenery, the whole group of modules should pack up into a smallish bundle.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Having a few minutes free this morning I sketched up a very minimal loop. It requires seven pieces.

:thumbup:
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:51 pm

In a quiet time during lunch I doodled a bit more.
The loops are a bit tight on 24" wide tables. As some shows only provide 24" wide tables, sticking to R5 is a good idea.
Laying out the pieces on a 4' square sheet of foam, it looks like I could get two sets of curves and a spare piece or two. Much to mull over.
Multi Piece Loop Cutting Guide..jpg
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 pm

Thinking about the new multi piece end loops I wonder if the single track connection will make them a little weak in their connections and prone to twisting.
One idea is to add a half track piece (split lengthwise) to the other edge to give a bit more stability.
Loop Stabilisers.jpg
This should help.

The other question is are they practical and useable in our setups. I know they can be built but can we fit them in our displays.

Chilliwack has lots of room so of course we can make them work.
Here is the 2017 display reworked with the new end loop idea and a few other ideas.
Chilliwack w new loops and corner..jpg
Clearly practical although they need two tables per loop and add a few wrinkles to the design process.

Big displays are easy but how about our smaller display at the BCSME?
2018 BCSME Second  Try..jpg
A quick doodle( the dimensions are wrong, should be 11' x 23') shows that they are practical.

Now all I need are a 4' Square piece of 1"x foam, 28 BG3s, a load of ties and rail, 2 Auto reversers, space and time.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans