TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby dileTTante » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:21 pm

CFRiad wrote:[*]switches must be controlled remotely, either electrically or mechanically
[*]all switches must be EW1 to maximize usable track length in space available
Recent expenses and now Christmas preparation have left me in debt, but early in the year I'll try to contribute to the costs of these upgrades.
Bill Dixon wrote:The degree of the curves 250 degrees and 35 degrees was chosen so that straight track crosses the folding joints.

I did some doodling to see if R5 would fit. It can be made to fit but you need an additional two inches on each side and bigger triangular pieces. Also the track crosses the folding joints on a curve. Not ideal.

I think that larger radius end loops may need a multi piece module.
More doodling to do.
First impressions - Straight track at the folding joints seems a much better idea. I hope any changes result in a better joint. As it is now the poor joint causes derailment at high speeds and can't be good for traction tires at any speed. Bigger curves are better for performance and appearance, and they allow longer trains. The folding modules are well done, but while they are manageable, they are heavy and not the easiest to set up -- and the hinges are something I've never seen on a real railroad. So a multi-piece module might be better.
Richard-B wrote:Ends of each single-track half-circle set would match the 86mm offset dimension for interface to other TT-Tracks... but the width of the sub-roadbed arc would be narrow... say 75mm to 100mm (3 or 4 inches).

Base material would be cork-surfaced MDF...
Quarter circle sets might be easier to manage. And straight sections can be inserted for a wider layout on occasion. I used quarter circle pieces of track for TT on foam-core at one show. At home I use quarter circle pieces cut from thick styrofoam for the S scale toy trains which I set up on the floor occasionally. The possible challenge is in the leveling of those sections. Tables at the shows can be very uneven. Leveling two dimensions of a rectangular module is simple, doing a curved piece might not be.

Whatever. All the ideas in the three posts seem good.
-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Richard-B » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:43 pm

dileTTante wrote:<snip> Quarter circle sets might be easier to manage.
Agree... when I said 'half-circle set'... I was referring to two quarter-circles... (especially for transport in the back of an auto) out of the four needed to have a loop. Mike and I may split custody of the ends.
dileTTante wrote: And straight sections can be inserted for a wider layout on occasion.
I had not yet fully thought-through if the halfway point on the arc should be custom... or suitable for interface to a regular (i.e. straight) TT-Tracks. Since it is only a couple more inches on the end panel... I probably SHOULD make all the ends conform to the front 5-inches of the TT-Tracks standard (albeit single-tracked!) for flexibility.
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby railtwister » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:38 am

Richard-B wrote:California Curves... (NO... not the view on the beach!!!)

Mike O'Dorney and I were talking Sunday (at the PCR NMRA Coast Division meet) about what is needed to be able to display and run TT-Tracks locally in the SF Bay Area...

"Four corner modules" is the obvious answer... but I'm thinking of building some in a 'skeleton-ized' version... more like a like a curved version of the Lucin Cutoff across the Great Salt lake... i.e. a trestle.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucin_Cutoff

Ends of each single-track half-circle set would match the 86mm offset dimension for interface to other TT-Tracks...
but the width of the sub-roadbed arc would be narrow... say 75mm to 100mm (3 or 4 inches).

Base material would be cork-surfaced MDF..

Thoughts on this?

Four corners = NASCAR Trains, MDF is inherently heavy unless very thin, then it loses it's strength. After all, it's just sawdust mixed with glue. It also soaks up moisture and swells up when wet. What's wrong with a good grade of plywood?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby CFRiad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 am

Richard-B wrote:... but I'm thinking of building some in a 'skeleton-ized' version... more like a like a curved version of the Lucin Cutoff across the Great Salt lake... i.e. a trestle. [...] Thoughts on this?

As Terry said, it could be difficult to level but it's definitely worth a try. Add levelling feet and you will be much happier.

Richard-B wrote:Ends of each single-track half-circle set would match the 86mm offset dimension for interface to other TT-Tracks... but the width of the sub-roadbed arc would be narrow... say 75mm to 100mm (3 or 4 inches). [...] Thoughts on this?

I wouldn't worry too much matching the ends with standard modules, as long as it looks like a bridge abutment. The only essential measurement is the track spacing, unless you go single track and than even that is moot.

railtwister wrote:Four corners = NASCAR Trains

Four corners = NASCAR Trains = a minimal operating layout. Better than nothing, or?
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 am

Richard-B wrote:California Curves... (NO... not the view on the beach!!!) [...]Thoughts on this?

I don't understand what you are talking about :angel:
CFRiad

Postby dileTTante » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:02 am

Yes, first thought was that MDF is heavy, but Richard's idea is pieces 3"-4" wide, basically like large sections of track and bedding. At least that's how I took it, and those wouldn't be very heavy.

I also assumed the four corners weren't to be used by themselves. Richard has two double length straight modules, although we haven't seen them in action. Was I wrong?

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby railtwister » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:28 am

[/quote]
Four corners = NASCAR Trains = a minimal operating layout. Better than nothing, or?[/quote]

Sorry, a bit of sarcasm there, because while I've built many oval shaped layouts (both modular and otherwise) in my past, I really don't like them. It seems whenever you mention the words "modular layout", the only thing most people can envision is the dreaded doughnut, with trains running concentrically in a circle (like a stockcar race), no matter how big the size available. Unfortunately, it's true that the most efficient way to demonstrate running trains on a small display layout is to set up a small oval on a table or two. :wall:

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Richard-B » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:10 pm

A little more of the use case: Mike O'Dorney has finally been able to dis-engage (i.e. retire) from BART... giving him more time for both ETE and TT.

We think 3 meters worth of straight TT-Tracks, and the curves to complete the ends, would make a good FIRST STEP in being able to display NA prototype TT at local events. I will make two half-meter sections to add to the ends of my double-double (2 meter), and Mike will begin building his side modules.

The regular double-track sides will let us (carefully) run trains in opposing directions... avoiding the appearance of a NASCAR Pace Lap.

The MDF I'm using is not the DIY building materials store type... but a cabinet-grade version with a cork layer bonded at the factory. I will add a curved box structure underneath for rigidity, to hide the wires, and to allow the same adjustable leveling feet used on my other TT-Tracks. (n.b. The YSL On30 club meets monthly at a member's Cabinet Works!!!)

Who knows... We might even catch someone who rolled downhill from north of the border for a future event in California!!!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby modorney » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 pm

This sounds good - I have some cork-bonded plywood (3/4) that might work.

The YSL cabinet shop is a great resource.

Yes - retired from BART and having a lot more time. But the weather (two extra rain-free months) interferes with my modeling! I like doing my outdoor projects.
modorney

Postby CFRiad » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:28 pm

Richard-B wrote:Who knows... We might even catch someone who rolled downhill from north of the border for a future event in California!!!
Who knows...
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans