TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bernd » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:31 pm

Track looks good Bill.

Bernd

(Note: I screwed up. It should be Bill not Richard. Mistake corrected. Sorry about that.)
Bernd

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:05 am

Had a busy two days.
The first loop is ready for wiring.
20170820_iFrst loop.jpg
The clip leads were attached to a Digtrax Zephyr to test run a locomotive. If I could figure out how to post an 18mb movie file I would show the run to you.

Now going to set this aside until my Dual Frog Juicers arrive. They are ordered but Tam Valley was closed while they went Eclipse watching.

Started painting the second loop module.
20170821_2nd loop painting.jpg
Second coat in a few days.

On both loops I added safety blocks at the hinge end.
20170821_base support.jpg
This is to keep the module off of the floor to protect the track in case the module is put down that way.

Made new foot mounting blocks. Found to my distress that if you run the tap too far into the block you destroy the threads on the entry end and leave nothing for the foot to thread into.
On all but four blocks there was enough thread on the other end to thread into. On the four bad blocks I drilled them out and used the plastic insert that the feet normally go into.

Also deepened the slots on all my feet as they were not deep enough for the screw driver to properly engage.
Need to chose five modules to add feet to as that is how many sets I have to use now. The power corner for sure,
and one or more of the modules that need track work.

Probably will not work on this project until later this week. Out a few evenings.

To Do:
Second module is waiting for tie strips(Mailed) for track installation.
Both need their undersides painted.
Wiring on both of them
More painting.
Testing and fine tuning track at joints.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:01 pm

Looks like I am working O/T part of Monday so unless something comes up I will only have Sunday to work on the next loop. That will be enough time to get the cork down.

The Frog Juicers and tie strips are due next week so more progress Next weekend.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:43 am

The tie strips Richard sent me arrived today.
Thank You Richard.

So it was time to thread some more tie strips onto rail.
20170830 Tie Strips.jpg
Again worked well except that I was short one length of rail so I dug into my stash. Strangely although I believe that it was from the same manufacturer (Micro Engineering) the base seemed to be a bit larger than the rail I just purchased. It was a bit harder to thread the tie strips and the final piece of track is stiffer than the rest.
Still got four lengths of flex track done. Enough for the next loop after i get the cork glued down.
I hope a job for this weekend.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:00 am

Bill Nielsen in Florida sent me his modules just before the hurricane hit. He says that he and his wife got through the storm okay. The modules arrived at my mother's home in Ohio Monday. I think I can bring them back to Vancouver on the train.

The straight modules are 19 1/2 inches x 12 inches. One straight is recessed with a bridge crossing. The curves are 17 1/4 inches square. The radii are minimum. All the modules have adjustable feet.

-Terry C
Attachments
P1000226R.JPG
P1000225R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:31 am

dileTTante wrote:Bill Nielsen in Florida sent me his modules just before the hurricane hit. He says that he and his wife got through the storm okay. The modules arrived at my mother's home in Ohio Monday. I think I can bring them back to Vancouver on the train.

The straight modules are 19 1/2 inches x 12 inches. One straight is recessed with a bridge crossing. The curves are 17 1/4 inches square. The radii are minimum. All the modules have adjustable feet.

-Terry C

That's both Great News and sad news.
Good to hear that Bill is OK
You now have something to run at home but we have lost our Florida modeller.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:40 am

I took the last week off work to both help a friend with his layout during the VanRail event (part of Pro-Rail) and work on my modules.
The VanRail event went well.

Unfortunately the weather was too F'n hot and humid to do much work on the modules.
It was too hot to F'.

Thursday it cooled off enough to do some work.
20170907_Second Loop.jpg
Here is the second loop with cork.
20170907_second loop track down.jpg
And with track glued down and a quick coat of craft paint.
The rail has not been cut to length yet.
The module supports were in the way when it was time to cut the rail at the joints.
One came off easy, the other took plywood with it. Happily glue and clamping fixed that.

Wiring to be done. If the current cooler weather holds that will be done this week.
I need to buy a few terminal strips to complete the wiring. That's todays job on the way to work.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 am

The modules were stored in Bill's garage. They were not being used. The screw adjusters have some rust on the threads. So it's better that the modules will be put to work.

I suspect there is limited potential for them in the regular TT Tracks layout, but maybe the oval could be set up on a separate 8ft table at Chilliwack to run shorter stuff.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:44 am

Looks real good so far!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby railtwister » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:49 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
dileTTante wrote:Bill Nielsen in Florida sent me his modules just before the hurricane hit. He says that he and his wife got through the storm okay. The modules arrived at my mother's home in Ohio Monday. I think I can bring them back to Vancouver on the train.

-Terry C

That's both Great News and sad news.
Good to hear that Bill is OK
You now have something to run at home but we have lost our Florida modeller.

The modules weren't being put to very good use in storage, hopefully now they will see the light of day. I still have a few TT pieces of equipment, and somewhere I think I still have some Tillig bedding track that I had bought for my "stage 2 modules" which I had thought about (but never built) while building the stage one set that Terry now has. True, the radii are minimal, but that was necessary to keep the corners as small as possible so they could be easily transported. I also still have the Kuehn-modell trackset, donated as a prize to TTnut by Rob Dikken, which I won a while back (Thanks again, Rob!), so you haven't really lost "the Florida TT modeller" just yet! I do regret that my activities in other scales has kept me less active in TT than I would like, however, I do look forward to seeing my old "phase 1" modules grow some scenery and appear in some shows, finally, thanks to Terry!

Surviving Irma in SoFla,
Bill
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans