TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Bill have you thought about using something from Backdrop Junction or similar? I used one of their backgrounds and glued it to a piece of ABS that I mounted on my old portable layout. Makes a huge difference.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Personally, I don't like backdrops because they block my view as an operator. However, for the casual viewer, they probably do give the layout a more finished appearance. Just as a practical matter though, I think for maximum flexibility, the backdrops need to be as modular as the layout sections, and their method of attachment should be kept as simple as possible. And remember, everything needs to be portable!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby voyttek » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:12 am

I think this is a great idea, I always wanted to make some background for my modules. This would make our setup so much nicer and cleaner looking. We would only have to determine the height of the backdrop and the colour of the sky to look uniform. Do you think we should try and make it work for the Chilliwack show?
voyttek

Re: TT-Tracks Backdrops

Postby railtwister » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:12 am

There are two local HO groups nearby that use backdrops, one paints the backside black, while the other uses the same sky blue color for the front and back (clouds and any other detail features are on the front only). When I first heard about it, I thought the black backs would be better, but now that I have seen it, I think I like the blue backs better. When looking across the layout, there seemed to be too much black, and it was distracting. There was also the problem of the black transferring to the blue during transit if the backdrops weren't stacked carefully blue to blue then black to black. One group used 1/8" Masonite while the other used Coro-plast from recycled political yard signs. If bought new, the Masonite was the cheapest, but being they were recycled, the signs came free, plus they were lighter weight, although you could see the lines caused by the corrugation process if you looked closely. Sheet plastic would work too, as would foam core or Matt board, though the latter might be too easily damaged...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:24 pm

Not doing much this summer but have been playing with backdrops some more.

Need to learn how to paint backdrops.
20170724_backdrop_front.jpg

The problem is how to mount them. I was thinking about velcro or magnets or other complex solutions.
Yesterday while I was coming back from the BCSME site I had a thought - Bulldog clips
When I got home I tried it out.
20170724_Backdrop_Back.jpg

Works like a champ. As long as there is a back fascia there is something to clip the backdrop to.
The price is right - six for a buck. Light, easy to carry, don't take up much space.
This might be be the perfect solution.

I have been painting the backs green but I like the idea of light blue. Will try repainting a backdrop to see how I like it. Maybe do different scenes on both sides.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:57 pm

And now that I think about it binder clips would work to hold plexiglass shields on the front of modules as well.

My reverse loop idea may be coming to fruition.
201400901 TT-Free-Mo End Loop.jpg

This is an idea I had back in 2014. The modules are being built in a modified way for me now. The sides are only 2 1/2" high so they can sit on a table top. They will not be useable by BCSME but should be there to work on and comment on.

The reversing wiring will change as will the leg mounting system so they can be used as part of a TT-Free-Mo setup.
Much to work out but for now I will pursue the table top version. These loops will preclude the operation of DC models so there will still be a need for the current layout.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:32 pm

Working on the folding loops today.
20170814_Before_Modificatio.jpg
This is what I started with.

On the loop without the cork glued down I added blocks for leveler feet.
20170814_Gluing Foot Blocks.jpg
As I want a smooth surface for transport, the feet have to be removed. Rather than have them in a bag or box that could be forgotten, I made mountings for them in one end of a module. You can see the six feet in the picture.
I had made a number of foot assemblies to glue to regular modules but never got around to it. This was a good thing as these two folding loops will use up most of them. Time to buy more feet and blocks.
You will notice that I removed the diagonal struts. They were in the way of the foot blocks and added unnecessary weight.

On the other side of the second module I started laying out the flex track.
20170814_Laying_Out_Flex_track.jpg
Unfortunately I do not have enough flex track to do one loop. It looks like I will need 11+ feet of track for each module.
I have three choices here:
- Order track from Germany and pay the high shipping charge. A week or two.
- Order through Bjoern and have his wife deliver it next month when she comes over. Weeks.
- or use Peco HO Scale meter gauge flex track which I can source locally now. Now.

As I want to work on this now and want strength and durability, I am inclined to use the Peco track for the main part of the loop and transition to Tillig flex on the two foot section. The section that joins to a standard TT-tracks module will have scenery. The rest of the loop may just be painted although I rather like the thought of a hill high enough to act as a vision block, to run around. Another thing to transport. The Peco track will probably look OK when it is ballasted and weathered. As well I believe that it will be less expensive.

Any thoughts?

After I was finished removing the diagonals I ended up with this.
20170814_Folded_for_Transport.jpg
This loop does not have the foot blocks installed yet.

To finish these two loops I need: to install feet, buy and install flex track, buy Dual frog juicers (ordering next week), wire the modules, paint them, test them, and time and inclination.

Much to do.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Working on the folding loops today.

It looks very good. Can't wait to see it installed in the layout. September show?

Bill Dixon wrote:Rather than have them in a bag or box that could be forgotten, I made mountings for them in one end of a module.

Awesome idea will steal it, if you don't mind...

Bill Dixon wrote:I have three choices here:
- Order track from Germany and pay the high shipping charge. A week or two.
- Order through Bjoern and have his wife deliver it next month when she comes over. Weeks.
- or use Peco HO Scale meter gauge flex track which I can source locally now. Now.

I would use proper TT track.

The cost difference between having your order mailed or delivered by Anja may not be that significant. Bjoern will pay 22% VAT on the stuff he buys in Germany. Models Bahn Welt does a flat 25€ shipping to Canada and the purchase itself is VAT-exempt. Depending on the value of the purchase, you may break even.
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:54 am

Bill Dixon wrote:- Order track from Germany and pay the high shipping charge. A week or two.

Oh, and you need to order only the Tillig ties (220 mm section wood or 125 mm section concrete). They are cheaper than flex track, if you don't ming threading the rails onto the ties. This can be a boring activity if you have to do a lot. You can get the rail from Central Hobbies.

For some strange reason wood tie sections are longer and cheaper than concrete ties. Obviously brown plastic is cheaper than grey plastic, ha ha.
tilligtrack.jpg

track_concrete.jpg
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby Richard-B » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 am

Bill Dixon wrote: <<snip>>
Unfortunately I do not have enough flex track to do one loop.
It looks like I will need 11+ feet of track for each module.
Any thoughts?
I have some Code 82 flex track... -exactly- how many feet do you need in all???
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans