TT-Tracks

Re: TT Trak

Postby dileTTante » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Our TT exhibits at the last two train shows in Vancouver attracted attention because seeing TT was a novelty, but it was boring because there were no trains running. This time I am bringing an oval of track from a starter set just to have the models doing something. A few T trak modules would be a lot better. Living in a small apartment, I don't have the space or resources to make, store and transport the larger modules. So T Trak looks like a great alternative. I think all it takes is one person to set the standard by building one or two modules and posting photos and specifications. Then we could build modules, too, and see how it works. Keeping it simple not only makes it easier to get modules happening, it also shows people how easy it is to model in TT.

After that, you'll have to agree on what couplers to use.
dileTTante

Postby Marquette » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 pm

dileTTante wrote:After that, you'll have to agree on what couplers to use.

Conversely, people just run their own consists without combining them into others' trains. I know some use the HOn3 couplers; I've been using the MicroTrains N scale couplers, though am looking at other possibilities too, like the N scale Accumate or McHenry couplers, searching for what looks closest to scale and most prototypical. If I go with either one of those, I'm not sure my equipment would couple up with anyone else's. Then there's the other question of what continent the trains are from - I don't expect anyone modelling a European prototype to use American-style couplers (apart from ex-USSR equipment, of course), so there's that issue, too.

While I'll be happy to build TT-Trak minimodules to standards we establish here, I don't think couplers are something we can standardise; in my opinion, couplers are integral to the model; couplers of the wrong size on a highly-detailed model will only detract from the model - it'll draw attention to how unscale the coupler is in relation to the rest of the model. So, I think standardising couplers is like trying to standardise on the level of detail everyone aspires to on their model. While I may consider a scale 1" an acceptable discrepancy, someone else may not.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:31 pm

I'm not sure that couplers matter too much either. The important thing is to have something on the rails. If everyone attending brings 5 or 6 cars and a loco there would be plenty of combinations or as stated above, people can run their own trains separately.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 pm

You guys are so serious. I was not being very serious about the coupler thing. Also, railtwister Bill, thanks for mentioning Mac Railmodeller software. Someone gave me an old Mac laptop which I got working again, and I've downloaded the application. So I wonder whether you could post a file of a TT-Trak layout so I can get an idea of the modules and the software. (Haven't checked yet, maybe the files aren't portable.)
-Terry
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:37 pm

Uhm, model trains are serious business no? :mrgreen:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:22 pm

dileTTante wrote:You guys are so serious. I was not being very serious about the coupler thing. Also, railtwister Bill, thanks for mentioning Mac Railmodeller software. Someone gave me an old Mac laptop which I got working again, and I've downloaded the application. So I wonder whether you could post a file of a TT-Trak layout so I can get an idea of the modules and the software. (Haven't checked yet, maybe the files aren't portable.)
-Terry

Hi Terry,

So far, I've only been playing with the Railmodeller free demo version, which does not allow you to 'save' or 'print' any files you create, although screen captures work, but you can't manipulate the captured item. the inventory list also works, which is handy, as long as you remember to delete any extra track pieces that may be left on the drawing board (it's easy to forget them, and they will then show up on the track list).

I'll try to post a couple of the crossovers for a 3x166mm module that I came up with. Due to the limitations of the small module size and the turnout geometry, if you try to build either of these, you will need to nip off a corner of the roadbed on the straight pieces near the frog. Sometimes you can use the special 36.5mm pieces made by the factory for this, but not if you don't have room to otherwise make up that missing 5mm difference from a 1/4 straight which is 41.5mm long.

Bill

Pair of modules.jpg
Screen capture of Railmodeller demo trackplan for single crossovers to fit on a 3x166mm T-Trak-TT module.
railtwister

Re: TT Trak - First Module picture

Postby railtwister » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:50 pm

OK, since my attempt at posting the track drawing looks like it worked, I'll now try a picture of my first T-Trak-TT module (3x166mm length) which is under construction. The picture shows the basic module with some old Pilz conventional snap track and a BTTB locomotive placed loosely in the position where the mainlines should be, for size comparison. Sorry the photo is a bit dark, but the daylite is fast fading in my yard due to the neighbor's trees.

Since you can't have just one of these modules (like the potato chips!), I will need to make another 3x166mm module to go with this one. After the second module is built, I may go to a slightly larger size module which should make it easier to fit several turnouts and not have to custom-cut the track pieces. Then I'll need to build four 90 degree corners (or maybe two 180 degree ends) so I can have a complete loop. After that, who knows?

Bill

First Module_ T-Trak-TT_1.jpg
My first T-Trak-TT module (3x166mm length) framed out, with loose snap track and loco to visualize size.
railtwister

Re: TT Trak first module 2nd view

Postby railtwister » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Here's a slightly different angle that shows the lack of side fascia panels on the ends, which reduces potential interference at the module joints. The old snap-track and loco are just loose, but in the approximate location if where the mainlines will be.

Bill

Second view.jpg
Second view showing open ends of module.
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:13 pm

Cool! Me like :clap: I need to get back to building my home layout but one of these days I'm DEFINITELY doing a few of those ^^^^
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:18 am

Bill, thanks a lot for showing us your work.

The videos posted about the BR 18 got me watching a lot more videos about German steam. My reaction is that railroads there all look toy-like compared to N. America, probably due to things like compactness and tidy scenery, etc. but the track on high roadbed means that the TT bedding track doesn't look so bad at all.

Railmodeller demo is all I downloaded, too. The files ought to be in the computer somewhere as temporary files which could be saved somehow, but since it's Mac there's not likely to be a way of accessing them. I'll take a look. Normally I use Linux and may be expecting too much. The other thing is that I know almost nothing about using CAD apps. What I had in mind besides learning to use the software and learning about modules is to take the laptop to the train show and have some sample videos of TT and maybe some sample plans of what the TT modules would look like to show people. The laptop's battery is dead but it'll work if we have mains power this time. I just found XTrkCAD which runs on Linux and Windows and is free. So I could use the other laptop I got out of recycling. The software site says it has NMRA TT but I can't find it in the list on the app. Maybe I can use bits from N or HO (Kato or Roco or Arnold) and resize the results.

Please give the dimensions of module. Length 581mm? Depth 300mm? Height? The photos are inspiring.

-Terry
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans