TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby CFRiad » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:14 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Are there plans for TT-Tracks for the 2021 National Train Show?

Yes
CFRiad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:25 pm

CFRiad wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:Are there plans for TT-Tracks for the 2021 National Train Show?

Yes

Good. We plan on going as well, and perhaps a joint-venture would be a good idea, as TT-Tracks is already established and ready, whereas I am still rebuilding my traveling layout system. I am seriously thinking of just going with building my own TT-Tracks compatible modules.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:04 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:I am seriously thinking of just going with building my own TT-Tracks compatible modules.
You have our full support with this.

Here is a quick recap of the TT-Tracks standard:
  1. The basic unit of measure is the 166 mm long BG1 track from Tillig. Track spacing is 43 mm, also based on Tillig track geometry.
  2. Standard module length is 3x166-1 = 497 mm. We also have "long" modules with a length of 4x166-1 = 663 mm and "double" modules with a length of 6x166-1 = 995 mm. You want the ends of the bedding track to overhang the edge of the modules by 0.5 mm for easy connection, hence the subtraction of 1 mm from all module lengths.
  3. Module width is 300 mm.
  4. Height of the module surface from the table is 2 3/4". All modules built after 2017 have levelling feet and a 2 1/2" fascia.
  5. All modules must terminate in Tillig bedding track sections.
  6. The outer (front) mainline track centre line is 86 mm from the front edge. The inner (back) mainline track centre line is 43 mm from the outer track. With the 43 mm spacing, there is room for one siding in the front and three sidings in the back.
  7. Minimum curve radius on the mainline is 482 mm. Minimum turnout geometry on the mainline is #6 (Tillig EW3, Kuenh 10° or equivalent)
  8. All crossovers between the outer and inner mainline tracks must be electrically isolated.
  9. Power feed wires to the mainline rails from front to back are green-yellow-red-blue. All electrical connections are 15 amp Anderson PowerPoles.
  10. Fascias are painted with Rust-Oleum Hunter Green.

After that is up to you what materials you choose to build the modules, what type of track you use between the module terminations and how you landscape it.

For more information about the standards and for photos of modules see Bill's website: http://tt-tracks.org

Keep in mind that the layout is wired for DCC and we operate exclusively in digital mode at all shows.
Last edited by CFRiad on Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:41 am

Bill Dixon wrote:
CFRiad wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:In January a Birthday Dinner on the 11th, at Red Robin across from Cameron at 6:30 PM.

:thumbup:

I am moving the dinner to Saturday the 18th as that is the actual birthday of TT-Tracks.

So we will meet for dinner at the Red Robin at Cameron Centre at 6:30 PM on Saturday January 18, 2020.

We had a great dinner.
Tibi, Terry, Xenia and myself were there. Graeme and Voytek with get their dinner at Western Rails in March. Richard and his cutie will get a dinner when we next meet them.
Good beer and food.
Much discussion about what we are going to in 2020. Both what we are going to do and what we would like to do. if time and money were not a constraint.
Was a good evening.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:57 am

I would like to come but there are time and money constraints. It will a much longer drive to St. Louis (**). A minimum of four days there and back. The convention itself is much more expensive than Salt Lake City so if I was there I might be tempted to sneak in to the one event I want to attend rather than pay the $150 US$ convention fee. Salt Lake City was only $119 paid late.
I see driving Sat, Sun, Mon and Arriving Tuesday. Five nights in St. Louis and then four days back.

As with Cincinatti I am very conflicted about the show. I would like to go. Having three TT Scale setups in a row at NMRA Nationals (2019, 2020 and next year in 2012) would be a big boost for TT-Scale.
I could possibly bring just the GuiTTar display or perhaps a smaller TT-Tracks display than we had at Salt Lake City.
I don't know yet.

I am also a bit confused by a comment I saw about another TT-Scale group other than yours displaying at the National, Have to clear that up.

** Not sure if I would come straight home or head east to North Carolina to visit a long time TT-Scale modeler. I haven't gamed that trip out yet.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:02 am

CFRiad wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:I am seriously thinking of just going with building my own TT-Tracks compatible modules.
You have our full support with this.

Here is a quick recap of the TT-Tracks standard:
  1. The basic unit of measure is the 166 mm long BG1 track from Tillig. Track spacing is 43 mm, also based on Tillig track geometry.
  2. Standard module length is 3x166-1 = 497 mm. We also have "long" modules with a length of 4x166-1 = 663 mm and "double" modules with a length of 6x166-1 = 995 mm. You want the ends of the bedding track to overhang the edge of the modules by 0.5 mm for easy connection, hence the subtraction of 1 mm from all module lengths.
  3. Module width is 300 mm.
  4. Height of the module surface from the table is 2 3/4". All modules built after 2017 have levelling feet and a 2 1/2" fascia.
  5. All modules must terminate in Tillig bedding tack sections.
  6. The outer (front) mainline track centre line is 86 mm from the front edge. The inner (back) mainline track centre line is 43 mm from the outer track. With the 43 mm spacing, there is room for one siding in the front and three sidings in the back.
  7. Minimum curve radius on the mainline is 482 mm. Minimum turnout geometry on the mainline is #6 (Tillig EW3, Kuenh 10° or equivalent)
  8. All crossovers between the outer and inner mainline tracks must be electrically isolated.
  9. Power feed wires to the mainline rails from front to back are green-yellow-red-blue. All electrical connections are 15A Anderson PowerPoles.
  10. Facias are painted with Rust-Oleum Hunter Green.

After that is up to you what materials you choose to build the modules, what type of track you use between the module terminations and how you landscape it.

For more information about the standards and for photos of modules see Bill's website: http://tt-tracks.org

Keep in mind that the layout is wired for DCC and we operate exclusively in digital mode at all shows.

Thanks for the recap.

I still plan on using my modified TTnut.com module standard modules for my home layout, but with the prospect of being part of an "uber" TT scale layout in the near future, I am almost giddy.

I have been studying the TT Tracks website almost all day today. I am willing to do some locos in DCC to help with motive power needs in the future, even if I do just run analog at home.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:05 am

Bill Dixon wrote:I am also a bit confused by a comment I saw about another TT-Scale group other than yours displaying at the National, Have to clear that up.

That was my comment, based on what I was told by the NMRA in a phone call inquiring as to space availability for the 2020 NTS.
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:33 pm

CFRiad wrote:Yes

Bill Dixon wrote:I would like to come but there are time and money constraints. It will a much longer drive to St. Louis (**).

To be clear, my affirmative was about NTS 2021 in Santa Clara. If I misunderstood, I apologize. I don't have plans to go to St. Louis either.
CFRiad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:55 pm

CFRiad wrote:

CFRiad wrote:Yes

Bill Dixon wrote:I would like to come but there are time and money constraints. It will a much longer drive to St. Louis (**).

To be clear, my affirmative was about NTS 2021 in Santa Clara. If I misunderstood, I apologize. I don't have plans to go to St. Louis either.

Understood.

I am just curious as to who is going to be there with TT Scale, if TT-Tracks hasn't spoken for the 2020 NTS, and the layout manager saying that there is already someone set besides me and my group.
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:17 am

CFRiad wrote:Here is a quick recap of the TT-Tracks standard:
  1. ...

Some of these were "hard" standards from the beginning, others were from the wish-we-thought-about-this-earlier category.

Beside these standards there are also good practices we started implementing based on experience, such as:
  • all electrical isolation points in the track should use actual insulating joiners for more reliable operation; you can get them as Kato Unijoiners for the bedding track or plain ones for flex track;
  • transitions between code 83 track (Tillig) and code 70 (Kato) should use conversion joiners; Kuehn sells them but there are other options;
  • power feed to the modules should have long enough wires to reach the side of the tables; double connectors are preferred for daisy-chaining.
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans