TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:02 am

Finished here along side the model I started with. Windows and painted handrails.
20190919_other side.jpg

20190919_one side.jpg

I may strip the end rails as the paint is not sticking.
The paint is Tamiya Camel yellow In a spray can over Tamiya grey primer. The colour could be better but is within the range of pictures of CP Rail cabooses. If I was to do another one I think I would use white primer.
The Multi Mark is from a MicroScale HO scale freight car decal. I laser printed the CP Rail and road number. The CP Rail looks a little rough one side as it is over a casting on the car side. If I was going to do another one I think I would file this smooth. Window glass is some clear plastic I had in my junk box. It is a bit thick but not noticable.

The car does not really represent an actual CP Rail car but does look OK.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:16 am

A coworker is making gondola covers in HO and N Scale. I asked him to make me a pair for the gondola kits I have had for years.
20190921_gondola w cover.jpg
These are CP Rail types. Time to assemble and paint the rest of the kits. Will do two in CP Rail red, two brown for CN and leave one black.
For load variety, two will have these covers, one will continue with its concrete pipe load, one will have a pipe load represented by black straws, and one with plate steel load.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby MacG » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:59 pm

It's a nice cover and good supplement for a Rob M gondola. :thumbup:
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:22 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Status of various TT-Tracks projects..

Table coverings.
First a Hearty Thank You to the one person who sent me some money. It is greatly appreciated.
This coming weekends run will contribute another good chunk of change towards the purchase of the table covers. Enough that I can proceed with the purchase. I would like to buy green table coverings but they have not been available for a white. I am going to contact the manufacturer directly to see what is going on. If I can't get green then perhaps Burgandy or Black.

The Chillwack show gave us another small honorarium that added to that received from the BCSME and the generous donation from another member, gave us enough to buy table covers.
We tried for green, not available at a good price, black was not in stock, so after discussion over beer after the Chilliwack show, I ordered 12 8' blue table covers. They have now arrived.
Thinking about our displays, I ordered two six foot covers today. They will be here Monday.
If the VTE accepts the changed list I will order one more 8' table cover.
Of course this is something more heavy to carry, but it should improve the presentation of our display.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:32 pm

Been thinking about ways to lock the modules making up the reversing loops together.
20191028_module latch.jpg
This suitcase latch is what I have come up with. The board it is mounted on is glued to the module and is screwed through the foam to another board glued on the bottom. On one module the boards extend a half inch or so to keep the second module in vertical alignment.
We will see how well it works at VTE in two weeks.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:14 am

I found this in my office. The fellow who made it no longer works here and the model was sitting orphaned on top of a filing cabinet.

substation.jpg

It is a small 230 to 25 kV substation typical for North America. Judging by the people in it, the scale is HO-ish. The insulators and the notice boards are a bit out of scale, even for HO. With a switch to TT scale people and some repair work to the gantry and the fence, this could sit nicely on our power module. I am certain I can "borrow" it for train shows.
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:45 pm

If it's orphaned I assume you can just have it :)
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:14 am

So Ebay recently had a lot of TT-Scale equipment for sale.
Was detrimental to my pocket book!!
Still some interesting items listed.

I acquired a junker 0-6-0 and HP caboose for a good price. The 0-6-0 can be cleaned up and made to run but I think it may be donating a main driver (and possibly a motor) to an 0-6-0 I purchased from Voytek at Chilliwack. Voytek did a very nice job on the 0-6-0, but there are issues with getting the worm gear to mesh properly with the drive gear. The drive gear is worn with a bit of concave wear on the teeth. After the show I will devote more time to it to see if I can shim the motor to tilt a bit forward to engage the gears better. If not driver swap time.

I acquired a powered commuter car that works for a good price. it should be easy to install a decoder. Might get that done tomorrow.

I acquired a working 4-6-2 with a reasonable paint job for a high price. Installed a decoder this evening. Will test at work tomorrow. A bit of touch up paint and it will look good.

I acquired an incomplete 2-8-2 kit for too much money. I should have studied the pictures more but now I have it and I need parts to complete it.
So guys please dig into your spare parts supplies:
I need
- a pilot assembly
- a front step assembly
- cylinders
- side rods and valve gear and screws for same.
No unreasonable offers refused.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:46 am

Some good lessons from VTE 2019.
Module Clamp.jpg
These module clamps for the new foam corner modules worked well. Time to make enough to clamp all the module pieces together. Need to make four more sets.

20191110_Dual Frog Juicer.jpg
This dual frog juicer probably failed due to a closed insulated joint. The Kato insulated Unijoiners have a very thin plastic insulator. They are fine on the interior of a module where this is no stress on the joint. I will rework the joints on the reverse loops with a saw.

There are also two two-piece tracks that cross joints. These will be glued together and the rails replace with single longer pieces to make them less flexible. That should give us a smoother joint between modules.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:09 am

Started making coal loads for the hoppers I bought from Richard.
Started with a 1/4" piece of foam, sanded to fit inside the car, and sanded the bottom so it sits down in the car.
I am going to use real coal that I received from a late friend of mine: Warren Rohn. He left me several fist sized lumps of coal and one big watermelon sized chunk. Not going to run out of coal any time soon.

On another more irritating note, my modelling budget is getting a $300 hit. Some low life smashed another window on my van today. The glass deductible is $300. %$@%^%^.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans