TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Rich1853 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:51 pm

CFRiad wrote:Think outside the box: a tanker terminal doesn't have to mean oil, it can be chemicals. And look what I found.

The attachment IMG_1124.jpg is no longer available

So it will be a chemical terminal, offering more variety of things loaded/unloaded.

Ok I finished airbrushing all the oil loading platform parts as closlely to the colors on the prototype images as found on the internet. I'm in the assembly stage now, there is two orientations of putting the two platforms together and that depends on the tank car length. This structure is advertised as HO scale.
The gang plank spacing for the shorter orintatation is 5 1/2 inches, the longer one is 8 inches.
My BTTB 2 axel tank cars dome to dome spacing is 3 1/4 inch. (length over buffers is 76mm).
My other tank cars are the 4 axel Tillig 15472 'HOYER' and the dome to dome spacing is 4 3/4 (length over buffers is 120mm).
For having two longer tank car lengths I would have to razor saw some pipes about 1/2 inch for the platform to join without any gap. For the shorter length there will be no cutting. The assembled platforms will be shipped unattached as the boxes aren't long enough.
See the video link for a better explanation. I'm glad I dont paint like that maybe in grammar school in the 1960's.
https://youtu.be/Ou5ISwnKBoY
20190826_170006.jpg
Attachments
20190826_170035.jpg
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:00 pm

Adventures in foam part three.
I have two boxes completed for now.
20190826_adventures in foam part three.jpg

The left hand box has two layers.
The bottom is left open for over flow of Gold Coast cars. This may become the European layer as the full Zeuke box now needs room for three more hoppers (with more to come) and more tank cars.
The middle layer is for flat cars and Gold Coast cars from kits. Lots of room for expansion. The two empty spots are for two flat cars that need repair or completion. The top layer is for stock cars and various MOW cars. Again much expansion room.

The right hand box has three layers. Not seen on the bottom is a quarter inch thick piece of foam.
The bottom layer is in two pieces made from scraps when I cut out the full sized pieces. The left had piece is for reefers. This is the one I cut all the way through to make room for the cars. There is space for one more car. The right hand piece is for Cabooses. There is room for two, maybe three more cars.
The middle layer is for hoppers and gondolas. Lots of room for expansion here. I have three more Titan Hoppers, three more Shapeways Ore Cars and more gondolas to make. The top layer is Maisto cars. There is room for expansion.

Things fit nicely in the left hand box. The right hand box is SNUG!. If I could find some good 1/8" foam to replace the 1/4" on the bottom, it would make thing fit better. I could also purchase extended lids for these and relieve any stress, although this might tempt me to try and put more stuff in the boxes, I am going to purchase two or three extended lids when funds permit.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:00 pm

Status of various TT-Tracks projects..

Table coverings.
First a Hearty Thank You to the one person who sent me some money. It is greatly appreciated.
This coming weekends run will contribute another good chunk of change towards the purchase of the table covers. Enough that I can proceed with the purchase. I would like to buy green table coverings but they have not been available for a white. I am going to contact the manufacturer directly to see what is going on. If I can't get green then perhaps Burgandy or Black.

Small Bridge Module - have track, bridges and foam. Need enthusiasm. It is the dog days of summer.

Road underpass module - have track, bridges and foam - need enthusiasm.

#8 Crossover module. Have squared 24" (now 23 1/2") long wood module. Was a trial to square off. First I tried my table saw. No go. My small baby table saw is a piece of shite! Won't easily handle working on a 12" x 24" module. Then tried my batter powered skill saw. Batteries won't charge. Sigh! More on this later. Then I remembered a trick from a few years ago when I built an HO Scale Free-Mo module and had the same problem with large pieces of wood. I used the edge of the table saw table as a guide and screwed or clamped a guide to the bottom
of the piece I was cutting. Worked fine. Took two tries as one clamp slipped and there is a bit of a gouge in one end, but that is what filler is for.
So I have the module, rail, pc ties and turnout gauge. Just need, what was that, oh yeah, enthusiasm.

On the battery front. It is not surprising the batteries no longer charge. I acquired the tools sometime before I started TT-Tracks back in 2011. So off to Home Depot to see what I could find. They have some nice tools, Milwaukee, Dewalt, Makita at very Nice Price$$. Eventually found a Ryobi four piece tool set at a reasonable price. Back in the game. Did take money away from other projects though.

The new station module set. Acquired the two four foot by one foot modules. One needs squaring up which I can do with my new tools. Have the necessary turnouts but am not sure about the flex track, rail and tie strips, rail joiners and bedding track for joiner pieces. I hope to set this all up later tonight and see what I need.

Swayback module with RH Crossover - to be module 51.
Needed on left end of new station module set to bring the track back from the center of the module to the front. Have foam but I know I do not have turnouts.

Industrial Back Area. On hold while everything else is made.

New 30 degree corner set to replace legacy corner module 9. Planning but nothing on hand, foam, track, power connectors.

So much to do.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:26 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Status of various TT-Tracks projects.
Small Bridge Module - have track, bridges and foam. Need enthusiasm. It is the dog days of summer.

20190826_Short Bridge.jpg
This is the state of the short bridge. The track is too long and needs to be shortened so it is only 1/2 module long. I split the bridge and glued a tie strip down the center. I am going to close up the bottom and make this a ballasted bridge. I'll shorten one side to reduce the length. I think the module will look better with the bridge offset to one side.
Road underpass module - have track, bridges and foam - need enthusiasm.

I have the track and bridges ready for this module.
20190826_Long Bridge.jpg

The new station module set. Acquired the two four foot by one foot modules. Now squared up.

For Station Module one I have the flex track, bedding track for module connectors and turnouts.
20190826_Flex Track for First Station Module.jpg

For Station module two I have a few bits of flex track, a hand full of ties strips and the turnouts.
20190826_Track for Second Station Module.jpg

Swayback module with RH Crossover - to be module 51.
Needed on left end of new station module set to bring the track back from the center of the module to the front. Have foam but I know I do not have turnouts.

Industrial Back Area. On hold while everything else is made.

New 30 degree corner set to replace legacy corner module 9. Planning but nothing on hand, foam, track, power connectors.

So much to do.

So to easily complete what I am working on, perhaps six or eight pieces of flex track, two LH #6 turnouts, and rail joiners: Code 70 NS - 4 dozen, Code 80/70 stepped rail joiners - 4 dozen.
Plus cork which I can source locally, and paint and ballast and such.

Time to order some track.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Being short of cabooses I decided to finish this.
20190909_H_P_Caboose.jpg
t
This was an incomplete model. I made replacement parts and then tried to paint the model. Tamiya acrylic paint would not stick to the roof and siding. After cleaning the model I sprayed the model with Tamiya spray primer.
Then I painted it with Vallejo paints.
Although I have not lettered it yet, it is ready for service.

Now working on a Maisto caboose. Stripped the paint and then painted it. Fail.
Stripped it again, primed its and repainted it again. Not sure about the result yet.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:31 pm

I am looking for a few spare plugs for my Z21.
IMG_20190907_082250.jpg
I checked my two usual sources ( RP and MRO) but neither had that size.
Does anybody have a soutce for them?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:38 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Being short of cabooses I decided to finish this.
20190909_H_P_Caboose.jpg
t
This was an incomplete model. I made replacement parts and then tried to paint the model. Tamiya acrylic paint would not stick to the roof and siding. After cleaning the model I sprayed the model with Tamiya spray primer.
Then I painted it with Vallejo paints.
Although I have not lettered it yet, it is ready for service.

Now working on a Maisto caboose. Stripped the paint and then painted it. Fail.
Stripped it again, primed its and repainted it again. Not sure about the result yet.

Looks good!
I need to work on my cabooses some more myself...
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby MacG » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:38 am

Bill Dixon wrote:I am looking for a few spare plugs for my Z21.
IMG_20190907_082250.jpg

It is a PTR (A Phoenix Mecano Brand) AK1550 / 2-3.5 plug, two-pole, RM 3.5mm. There are also copies that fit. Maybe it helps.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Rich1853 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:33 am

One of my last jobs was at a contract manufacturer facility and some of the European designs had Phoenix Contact connectors.
IIRC the part number code is 2 position, 3.5mm pitch, 1.5 is the wire area (size) in mm square
Here is one from Newark Electronics which the company purchased from. Part number MC1.5/2-3.5
https://www.newark.com/phoenix-contact/ ... dp/14J3292
There are links to drawings to compare to what you have.

Here is the link to the PTR/Hartmann AK1550/2-3.5 that MacG mentions
dimensions appears the same but didn't check completely
https://www.ptr.eu/en/products/connecti ... -35-green/
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:34 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Now working on a Maisto caboose. Stripped the paint and then painted it. Fail.

Going into the stripper again.
Don't like the colour - too canary yellow. CP Rail cabooses are more an orange yellow. Found a Vallejo colour I like better.
Don't like the finish. I was using a spray can of Tamiya paint- getting an uneven orange peel effect.
Found some HO scale Micro Scale decals with the right sized Multi Mark and lettering that will do.
Will post a picture when I get it painted again.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans