TT-Tracks

TT-Tracks

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:48 am

Here is the next version.

I had to change some turnout locations and to increase the "module" count from 4 to 5. This way no turnouts are located on module boundaries. The track layout is a bit simpler, but still interesting enough.

The buildings are to scale too. They seem a bit crowded.
loopyOilTerminal_evolution.jpg
Last edited by CFRiad on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:37 am

The foam turn back loops work well but they need a more positive way to lock them together.
We used duct tape at Salt Lake City.
IMG_20190711_161643~2.jpg
but that only held them together. It didn't do anything for the vertical alignment.

I found these cable finger troughs that are used to organize data cables.
20190725_cable trough-clamp.jpg
They are a bit tight - 1.9", but with a bit of work on the foam they work reasonably.
20190725_cable trough-1054x511.jpg
They are a bit loose but a foam cote should help that. In some locations on the top the fingers will need shortening.
In the middle of panels a pair of these glued back to back will. Work.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm

Allrighty, boys and girls. Final version.

loopyOilTerminal_evolution3.jpg

I added back the track I took out in version 2, rearranged things a bit and decided to give it a bit of realism. This will be a chemical plant that makes chlorine and sodium hydroxide (caustic soda) by electrolysing sodium chloride (aka table salt). Incoming products are salt, (lots of) electricity and the odd boxcar load of small stuff. Outgoing products are liquid chlorine, caustic soda solution and hydrochloric (muriatic) acid.

This layout allows for future expansion by adding various industrial buldings, salt handling, internal roads, etc.

The question is how does the salt get here.
  • Option 1: by rail; not very prototypical.
  • Option 2: a salt mine on site; hmmm :o
  • Option 3: by barge/ship; prototypical, but needs
    • a navigable channel to enter the loop and a railway bridge over it. Outlandish :crazy:
    • a port outside the loop and a conveyor belt over the track. Less outlandish
A plant like this actually exist around where we live. The salt comes by ship.

chemplant.png
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:58 pm

Can't the salt be transported by trucks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am

ConducTTor wrote:Can't the salt be transported by trucks?

But, this is a train layout, not a truck layout... :lol:
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:14 am

Planning for the road underpass.
IMG_20190804_200822.jpg
Looks like a BG3, BG1, BG2, Bridge, then another BG2. The road will have to be at least one and a half inches sunken.

The bridges shown are for the stream bridge module. This module will take most of a BG1 and the bridge for each mainline.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:34 pm

A bit of a sad weekend. My old green minivan has gone away. I donated it to the Kidney Car Foundation so I will get a tax deduction for the donation.

On a brighter note, there is progress on the equipment transportation problem. I mentioned in a previous post that by box of loose cars was dropped and cars and couplers were damaged.

At SLC Tibi showed his boxes with Kaizen foam in them.
20190806_kaizen foam.jpg
This is a multi layer foam product. With a sharp knife you cut the foam and remove pieces to make cradles for your cars.
20190806_Maisto layer.jpg
This is the layer I am working on for my Makati cars. I have made cradles for my current selection of tank cars. I will do the hoppers and 50' box cars next. The center is being left untouched for now to leave room for more cars.
Due to the weight of the Maisto icars this tray will be on the bottom.
The current 11 litre boxes will hold three layers. If I add an extended lid I can probably go to four layers. More experimentation to do.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:07 pm

Yup, soft foam is definitely the way to go. There is no other method (except for original manufacturer's boxes) to keep things safe.

What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 am

Adventures in foam continue.
This is my hopper/gondola/ore car layer.
IMG_20190813_210407.jpg
There is a lot of room for expansion. I have three more ore cars, three more Two-Bay hopper car kits, at least two more 55 foot gondolas and plan to make more 40' gondolas. That is why I have left a lot of space.
Also shown are the card board templates I made to make the holes uniform.

I do have a problem with some of the cars on this layer. The foam is seven layers deep and some of the cars are over six layers wide. I haven't decided what to do about this yet. If I can find some quarter inch foam I may cut all the way through and put the quarter inch foam between the layers.

Notice the ore car. It was delivered from Shapeways as a taconite car. I didn't really like the look so I took the extensions off and made it a regular ore car. Looks much better now.

On to the next layer.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Rich1853 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:52 am

ConducTTor wrote:Yup, soft foam is definitely the way to go. There is no other method (except for original manufacturer's boxes) to keep things safe.

Back in the 80s and 90s I used a more rigid gray foam that was the shipping protection for avionics instrumentation. It was about 6 inches square and about 2 to 3 inches thick with a multi pointed star opening in the center to cradle the round case. I used this foam to transport my 1/72 WWII Luftwaffe models to shows. All I did was to notch out the area for the wing tips, landing gear, tail section, cockpit and antenna areas. I stacked them vertical and the box held 10 planes. Still have it in storage. Yea there was an A-10 Warthog in the collection too.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans