TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:59 am

Throttles

In our setups we have been using smart phones or tablets as throttles with the occasional Digitrax throttle plugged into the LocoNet port on the Z21.

Today I set up my Z21 to do some throttle testing.

First I used my Android smart phone. Using both versions of the Z21 ap everything worked well.

Then I tried a beta test WIFI throttle kit I acquired at Salt Lake City. It talks to either JMRI or a Digitrax LNWI LocoNet WiFi Interface. So I plugged a Digitrax LNWI WiFi Interface into the LocoNet port on the Z21 and the throttle worked perfectly. This means that anything that will talk to the Digitrax interface should work with the Z21.
Although I do not have access to one to test, the overpriced TCS WIFI throttle should work. It is supposed to talk to JMRI or Digitrax.
I have already verified that the way over engineered and over priced Android phone throttle from ESU works with the LNWI, although you don't get all the fancy features that you get when it is plugged into an ESU system.
Any of you into making your own WIFI throttles should be able to make Geoff Bunza's do it yourself throttle work.
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/35652

Lastly I took another kick at my Roco WIFI Maus. I figured out how to reset the device and then followed the obscure instructions and made it work. I am not sure why it worked this time. Did I put in the additional keystroke that is not mentioned in the instructions but makes it work, or did the throttle understand my threat that if it did not work, it was going to star in a short Youtube Video: "How to fix a Roco WIFI MAUS by driving a car over it"!
Whatever the reason, it works Today. We will see what it does at the next BCSME setup in a few short weeks.

So now I have a handful+ of throttle choices:
my current smart phone,
a pair of older smartphones I still have,
an Android tablet,
the Roco WIFI Maus,
the beta test WIFI throttle
and a Digitrax throttle either plugged in or in Duplex Radio mode.
And I should have another one later this year when I upgrade my current smartphone.

That should be enough choices to satisfy everybody.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:46 am

Been contemplating scenery. We need a lot more on our modules.
Because of the way we transport them, we are a bit constricted in going up.
But what about going down?

Thee was a Canadian Company that did runs of Atlas N-Scale Through Girder Bridges with company logos or slogans on them.

Here is an idea for a half module that uses two CN Bridges over a stream.
Module MP53..jpg
Module MP53..jpg (15.46 KiB) Viewed 132 times
It looks like the two bridges will fit nicely side by side on the module. The bridges are black with I think a 'Courtesy and Service' slogan on them.

Streams and rivers are not the only things that go under the tracks.
Module MP54.jpg
Module MP54.jpg (21.05 KiB) Viewed 132 times
How about a sunken road. Here two different bridges, green with a different CNR slogan, cross a sunken road.
Either or both of these will bring some variety to our otherwise flat modules.

In the Salt Lake City thread it was mentioned that it is time to replace curve Module 9, the Diamond Corner, with a corner set with a bigger radius. I contemplated the 45 degree corner set with R6/R7 curves but have decided that I prefer the 30 degree corner set with the larger radius R10/R11 curves. Either set will require a new module box to carry them.
Module 55-57 Planning.jpg
I have decided to recreate the scene on the Diamond corner but spread over two modules with the third being an open field with cattle grazing.

None of these will come over night. but are ideas for the future.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 am

Let’s talk loopy oil terminal.

Specs:
0) it will be installed as a skin on the left-hand teardrop turn-back loop.
1) it has to catch the eye, meaning good detail, lights, etc.
2) it has to be functional, i.e. you should be able to do prototypical switching on it
3) it has to be portable, I.e. fit in a 48-litre useful box.

Spec #2 is the most restricting: every part of the setup needs to be no farther than ~50 cm from the table edge so that hands can reach everything for uncoupling (spoony or poky) rerailing and such. This also means R2 or R3 curves, which shouldn’t be a huge issue, since tank cars are short- ish

Spec #3 means it has to come in sections.

Spec #1, oh, my; I’m not good at this.

Comments?
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm

A search for the tank facility in Port Moody British Columbia didn't yield much in images. Attached is a satellite view. A further search for tank farms, railroad oil facilities, etc produced a few more pictures. Several showed that the terminals were arranged within loops of track. A couple photos here show the tanks lit up at night. Often the search results were from articles against transport of oil by rail.

On a model the lights can be LEDs taking power from the track. The track arrangement can be determined and then perhaps Voytek can be persuaded to make the structures.

- Terry C
Attachments
Port Moody.png
jefferson-terminal.png
Prince Rupert.jpeg
Prince Rupert.jpeg (17.55 KiB) Viewed 113 times
Vancouver WA.jpeg
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:44 pm

More images
Attachments
at night.jpeg
Storage-stock-image-oct-17-2.jpg
tank car.jpeg
oil transloading.png
dileTTante

TT-Tracks

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:10 pm

The structures already exist but they may need painting.

Ground will be mostly paved, as it is usual for spill containment in oil/chemical handling facilities. This includes the tracks. Some fine gravel will be there too. No grass.
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby Rich1853 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:17 pm

I never heard of this manufacturer before, scale isn't given but all dimensiona are noted. (remember in TT 1 inch = 10 feet prototypical). I don't know what a typical tank dimensions are.
https://modelstructuresinc.com/storage-tanks
Emailed vendor this morning 07/24
I'm just familiar with Auhagen 1:100 TT / HO scale and Fallers in HO and N scale, also Wathers in HO scale.
Last edited by Rich1853 on Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Yes! Please follow Terry's pics and build that!

Disclaimer - that's exactly what I want to build but can't right now. Living vicariously through you guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:51 pm

CFRiad wrote:Specs:
0) it will be installed as a skin on the left-hand teardrop turn-back loop.
1) it has to catch the eye, meaning good detail, lights, etc.
2) it has to be functional, i.e. you should be able to do prototypical switching on it
3) it has to be portable, I.e. fit in a 48-litre useful box.

OK, more specs:
4) it has to be built with components I have: Tillig EW1 turnouts, Tillig sectional and flex track, Auhagen tanks, pump house, warehouse and loading ramp, some concrete pavement.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:59 pm

Think outside the box: a tanker terminal doesn't have to mean oil, it can be chemicals. And look what I found.

IMG_1124.jpg

So it will be a chemical terminal, offering more variety of things loaded/unloaded.
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans