TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:27 pm

Just out of curiosity, are you guys using static grass on the modules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:42 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you guys using static grass on the modules.
Probably the others are busy preparing for upcoming show, so I'll answer. I don't make the modules but I'm sure the answer is No.

Voytek plans to use static applicator for new modules.

Arseny wrote:
dileTTante wrote:none of us will buy a turntable.

But why not? An excellent turntable is available from Roco...

Yes it is. A good reason why not is $$$.
- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby railtwister » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:42 am

Static grass is probably the best scenic effect that has been seen in many years. It can easily be added to modules that are considered to be “finished” (if there is such a thing). Once someone tries it on the first module, it won’t be long before it will show up on all the other modules. It’s very easy to apply, but it is time consuming, since it must be done in small areas at a time. The major limiting factor is that the applicators are pretty expensive, but at least they are only a one-time expense.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:00 am

Also there are many videos showing how to make your own static applicator very cheaply.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby krokodil » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 am

ConducTTor wrote:Also there are many videos showing how to make your own static applicator very cheaply.

And you can get on ebay/aliexpress a HV device for just about $5 - the device is even better than the factory made applicator.
Last edited by krokodil on Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

TT-Tracks

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:21 am

Static grass and turntables... and then reality chimes in.

You have to keep in mind the first requirement for our display: portability. The beauty of the TT-Tracks specs comes from small size and weight.

The modules are packed in boxes, two or three high. This minimizes details on two thirds of the modules. So don't be surprised that many of our modules have a beautiful scenery of fine turf and ballast. Or raw plywood... :o

The modules are less than 2 inches high, so fitting a turntable with an electric drive underneath is a challenge. Also the modules are light, therefore flexible. A turntable is a delicate piece of kit, and needs a solid base for it to work properly.

We expanded outside the limitations of the standards: Voytek built larger, more solid modules with absolutely beautiful scenery. Bill built large turn-around loops. These are large enough or heavy enough or both that transporting them is a serious challenge.

Also think about the rough conditions these modules go through when we load the display 4-5 times a year in vehicles and transport them over significant distances on no-so-smooth highways. If we want to be nimble and participate in NTSs we have to accept these limitations.

Therefore, we will leave fancy stuff like turntables and static grass for our permanent displays in our basements. Unless we come up with a small, light, rigid module made of unobtanium that can accommodate an ultra-thin turntable... Unobtanium static grass would also be nice...
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:35 am

CFRiad wrote:[...] an ultra-thin turntable...

maybe we should talk to Apple. They could design a Turntable Air for us. It'd be really slick.
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:09 pm

And cost at least a thousand dollars lol

ConducTTor
Site Admin

TT-Tracks

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:44 pm

.. and have only unserviceable parts. You’d have to buy a new one every time they come up with an updated OS for the control module.
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:46 pm

Second turn back loop is complete and ready to use. Will see if I did things right when we use it at Salt Lake.
Was thinking about using Velcro to hold the module together. We'll use Duct Tape or now. Tried to find some green Duck tape but no luck.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans