TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby railtwister » Wed May 22, 2019 3:37 pm

I just returned from Home Depot, and the Glidden Gripper is no longer available as a Glidden product, it is now sold as PPG brand. I asked if anything was changed other than the label, and was told the product was “whiter” but that’s all. The contents is 31 oz not 31.5 or 32 ounces (not a full quart), supposedly because the product is tintable, and the tint would need room in the can. Hopefully, the product being “whiter” is not because there is more white pigment and less binder (adhesive) in the formula. It’s $11.98 a quart, which is not especially cheap for a water-based primer...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu May 23, 2019 4:02 am

Today Terry showed up in the store I work at with a bundle of Flex Track, enough to do an end loop.
No excuses now!

After leaving work early, I headed over to a Home Despot store to buy some foam.

Found the foam, three sheets of 1" x 24" x 8' and asked if they could cut it for me.
The unhelper I asked eventually came back and said no they couldn't cut the foam.
Huh!
After he wandered away I took the foam to the cutting area. Then I went to the tool department to get a square, utility knife and a tape measure.
Back to the cutting area with the tools. I cut the three sheets in to nominal four foot pieces.
Returned the square and tape measure to where I got them. Had to buy the utility knife as I opened the package.
A quick trip though the adhesives aisle for foam friendly glue, pay for the glue, foam and utility knife, and off to home (with a stop at chez Wendy's for supper).
At home I had a futile search for my caulking gun. I know I bought one . . . . ten years ago and put it somewhere safe for future use but . . . so off to Rona to buy an inexpensive caulking gun and home to start gluing.

I set up a four foot table outside. I sorted the cut sheets into pairs. Two good pairs and one not so good. The not so good pair will be cut down to the three foot module.
I glued the sheets together. One tube of glue was enough for gluing the three pairs.
Now the sheets are on the flat floor in the basement with weights on them to hold them flat while they dry.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby RodTT » Thu May 23, 2019 5:29 am

As a matter of interest, what type of track do you use?
RodTT

Postby dileTTante » Thu May 23, 2019 3:41 pm

What I gave Bill was made by Krueger in W. Germany purchased in late 1990s from source in Indiana, no longer in business. The track is code 70, sold in half meter lengths and is compatible with what is currently available from Kuehn.

What's on TT Tracks layout - Tillig bedding track and bedding track turnouts, Tillig flex track and turnouts, Kuehn turnouts and flex. And some turnouts made with Fast Tracks jigs. Depends on who made the modules and when they were made. Pieces of Tillig bedding track at the module edges are used to hold the modules together.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby RodTT » Fri May 24, 2019 10:49 am

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.
RodTT

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun May 26, 2019 8:35 pm

Sad to say, gluing sheets of foam together yielded less than sterling results. Nothing that a knife can't fix. Next time I'll use foam tack glue.

Started gluing track down today.
20190526_Module A connecting tracks.jpg

After laying out where the track should go, I glued the Bedding Track connecting pieces on module A.

After the glue dries overnight I will glue down the N-Scale cork roadbed and the filler pieces. Checking the track Terry brought me, it looks like a 1/16" filler is needed. Woodland Scenics makes 1/16" foam sheet. Rather that cut curved pieces, I am going to make 3" long trapezoids and glue them along the track center line leaving a short space between each piece so the center line will be visible when gluing down the cork roadbed.

The first thing to do tomorrow will be to use module A as a gluing jig to locate the connecting track pieces on module B.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby railtwister » Sun May 26, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi Bill,
What did you use for glue? Years ago, a friend built a module and used some white glue to attach some foam to the plywood surface which had been sealed with a sanding sealer. A couple of years later, when the module was being rescenicked, we discovered that the original white glue had never dried, because the air couldn’t get to the center of white glue once it had dried around the edges of the 2’x4’ module, that center area was still as wet as the day it was first glued down. This problematic effect (as seen with other products) was mentioned in the video recently posted about using the Glidden (now PPG) “Gripper”. I picked up a quart of “Gripper” to give it a try, but haven’t actually tried it yet. Up to now, I have used Gorilla Glue to blond foam pieces together, but this product expans as it dries, which requires a lot of weights to be placed on the foam during the curing process, and usually results in the two pieces of foam creeping out of alignment with each other.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun May 26, 2019 9:29 pm

I used a foam friendly panel adhesive, PL300 I think. Went on thick. Tried spreading it out with a putty knife with indifferent results. I'll use foam Fusion glue from Hot Wire Foam Factory next time.

I am wondering if there is a 2" C channel that I could slip over the module edges to protect them.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Rich1853 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:46 am

Good luck in finding something lightweight 2 inch c channel. The home improvement chain stores have them in structural steel. I looked at corner molding (L - shape comes in plastic and wood) for my 1 inch thick foam, but didn't purchased any. You could try installing one on the top and one on the bottom surfaces.
Online I found this company Seagate Plastics
complete catalog ?
https://catalog.seagateplastics.com/cat ... nnels.html
I didn't see any pricing or any outlets that carries this.
Good luck
Rich1853
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 pm

Rich1853 wrote:Good luck in finding something lightweight 2 inch c channel. The home improvement chain stores have them in structural steel. I looked at corner molding (L - shape comes in plastic and wood) for my 1 inch thick foam, but didn't purchased any. You could try installing one on the top and one on the bottom surfaces.
Online I found this company Seagate Plastics
complete catalog ?
I didn't see any pricing or any outlets that carries this.
Good luck
Rich1853

Hi Rich
I found Seagate but their location and minimum order ($250) turned me off.
I like your idea of the 1" angle. I am concerned about protecting the modules while they are being transported. Set up they should have a hand guard to protect them.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans