TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:56 pm

Nice locomotive. Looks a lot better in "real life" than on Tillig's pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:02 am

ConducTTor wrote:Nice locomotive. Looks a lot better in "real life" than on Tillig's pics.

Initial testing runs well.
I was a bit worried about decoder installation as it has a PLUX12 socket, and I didn't have any access to that type of decoder.
No worries though, there was a six pin cheater plug, plugged into a six pin to PLUX12 adaptor. So unplug the cheater plug, plug in a Digitrax DZ126IN decoder, then take it out and plug it in the right way, and all was good.
Now to start accumulating cars to run with it.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:00 pm

I had time to play with an ESU Mobile Control II throttle, the one based on an Android phone.

I was able to get the Z21 ap loaded and get it to run a locomotive. Not too painful.
The side buttons and speed knob will not work without updating the ap.

Initial impression is that it works OK but:
over engineered, over priced and the phone it is built on is a bit under powered.
Unless the Z21 ap is updated to use all the features of this throttle or I get an ESU system, I don't expect that I will buy one.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:24 am

One of the things our displays have been lacking is industries to switch.
It is nice to watch the trains go round and round, but a place to do some switching would be nice.
The Salt Lake City setup has a back area made up of surplus modules that will give us an area to switch in but it is still lacking in spurs.

As modules get rebuilt with the new #6 turnouts, 15 degree turnouts will be come surplus. They are no longer suitable for mainline use but would be fine in a slow speed switching area.

A bit of doodling last night came up with this:
Industrial area..jpg
The two blue tracks through the centre are to mainline spacing so this module set could be used in the mainline. The red track on the lower right is the connection to the outside world if these modules are behind the mainline.
As these are designed to be behind a line of modules I would make them a bit narrower (29.5 cm instead on 30cm) so they would fit better on narrower tables.

Suggested industries would be:
1. Cattle Pen -Stock cars. Occasional box car of feed.
2. Cold storage - reefers and insulated box cars.
3, 4, 5. Small manufacturing - Box cars, Flat Cars Gondolas.
6. Big Freight Forwarding Warehouse - Lots of box cars.
7. Lumber Yard - Box Cars, Flat cars.
8. Oil Dealer - Tank Cars, Occasion Box car of boxed goods.
9. Scrap Yard - Gondolas
10. Coal Dealer. Low trestle - Hopper cars.
Because of space constraints, industries 7-10 would be flats. Buildings in the back could be larger more detailed buildings. I would go for cardboard or foam board models with printed sides until time and mood strike to build better models.
11. could be left open as a run around track or used as a team track.
12. Would be used as an industrial spur if the module set was in the mainline.

The industries should hold up to 20 cars. That should be interesting enough to keep someone busy for a while.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:45 am

Here is an image of how the industrial area would fit in a display. One half width module has been added to the left side to give a longer switching lead for industry #2.
ndustrial area in layout.jpg
This also shows some of the donor modules.
The bridge module is the start of the access to the industrial area. It should be possible to remove the two modules between the bridge module and the industrial area, to connect them directly together.

Donor Modules
Module 15 will be stripped of its track and rebuilt.
Module 23 will be striped of its track and rebuilt.
Module 22 will have its track removed. It is currently an odd length to match module 21. I think I would shorten this to be a half module with just straight track.
Module 7 will loose its crossovers and just have straight track for the mainlines.
Module 30 originally had a dummy spur. Then it was rebuilt to have a real spur. It is going to be rebuilt again, I need the turnout off of it. I think I will replace it with a #6.
That will give me enough turnouts. Now to acquire the 66 other pieces of bedding track needed. I have some of them already. Why Bedding track - because it will be easier and quicker than using flex track.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CFRiad » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:54 pm

Wow, I am impressed. Also embarrassed, since I wasn't able yet to put together my colliery/tank farm.

Adding a parallel row of modules behind the mainline is a brilliant idea.

One suggestion: extend the cattle pen track on the left all the way to the edge of the module. Who knows what will be plugged in there. :wink:
CFRiad

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm

Here is the same thing slightly modified and populated with cars to see how it would look.
Industrial area. two.jpg

The car colour code is: yellow - reefer, light brown - stock car, dark brown 40 and 50' box cars, black - hoppers, light grey - flat cars, light grey with outline - 50' gondolas, and one tank car.
This is shown full. It would operate better with a third less cars.

Below it is the SCARM diagram to see how the track work lines up with module boundaries. Only one poor joint around the crossing. So it is all practical.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:01 pm

This is a Tam Valley "Turtle" DCC decoder driving two MP1s.
20190321_Turtle.jpg
It is a nice small package.
It can be controlled with DCC or a local push button. One nice thing is that if you send a command to its address plus 1000 (ie if it is address 3, send a command to 1003) it will lock out the local push button.
I am thinking of using the MP1s to control my latest #6 crossover module, in progress, will be ready for this weekend with manual control.
I have adjusted the MP1s to throw only 3mm. That is still too much for the new #6 turnouts. I am going to use a much softer throw wire to account for the difference in throw. The #6 turnouts only throw a mm and a bit and I don't want to stress the turnout.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 am

And it's only $16! $14 if you buy 4 or more. I'd love some feedback on how it performs.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:22 am

And it's only $16! $14 if you buy 4 or more. I'd love some feedback on how it performs.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans