TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:40 am

Now that this corner project is complete, except for scenery, it is time to restock.
I was down to my last dribbles of foam glue, last 1/4" of scenic cement in the bottle and less than half a container of grass mix. These have all been replenished.

Of more importance is the shortage of track and module bases.
Before I start new projects I need BG1 straights, BG2S to cut up for module edges, BG4S for modules with Kuehn track, flex track and tie strips. Sheets of foam and a double handful of laser cut bases would be useful as well,
Happliy there are other projects to keep me occupied until more materials arrive next year.

The power module will be rebuilt with the power managers on a board so we can see the error lights.
Time to start work on rebuilding the return loops although I am not sure I have enough track and tie strips on hand for this.
Several modules could use a scenery touch up and there is always equipment to work on.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 am

A bit off topic but I had several early Birthday presents in the last three days. Saturday is my birthday and it is a biggie. Just having a small gathering at our favourite Red Robin for my free birthday burger.

I have had several things on order, some for a long time. Three arrived Wednesday.

The first was ordered late October! I wanted some TT-Scale Centurion tanks to use as flat car loads. I ordered from Butlers' Printed Models in the UK. They didn't do TT scale but they were willing to rescale an existing model to TT. For a 3d printed model the results are good. Maybe a fraction over scale but much better than the last item I got from Shiteways.

The second shipment was from Zeuke. It was ordered last month just before the train show. I now have more coal cars and enough turnouts for planned future modules.

The third was ordered last week from Peco. One of their publications. Arrived in under a week.

The first two were delayed by the postal disruptions we had last month. They are not resolved yet but the mail is moving.

Oh and there was a Visa gift card from my internet provider. Sign up for two years of higher speed internet for the same price you are paying now and get a gift card. Took a month to arrive but it bought me a new computer chair, my old one was beyond its last legs, and some new ink cartridges for my printer.

Other than working on the centurion models and looking at an N-Scale factory model to see if adding a foundation and new doors will make it workable for TT-Scale, not doing much.
Planning the end loop rebuild. I think I have enough supplies for one loop.
Looking at adding an industry to module 30.
Doodling more ideas. Making a list of what track I need to order in January.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby RodTT » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:23 am

The Butlers' website also looks to have some items under the Terrain section which could be useful as loads or scenic items for any layout, i.e. ones with a non-military theme.
RodTT

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:43 am

Slowly accumulating supplies for future module builds.
20181221_Acummulating Supplies.jpg
Need foam, track - lots of track, cork roadbed, and other miscellaneous supplies.
Going to be a bit of a shopping spree in the new year.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:04 pm

In no particular order - projects for the new year: 1
Module 51.jpg
This module is needed to balance module 42. Module 33 does do the same thing but with much sharper curves. The curves on module 42 and this one look much better.
As well this design incorporates a RH #6 crossover made with LH turnouts.

Materials needed:
On Hand: Turnouts, flex track, rail joiners - all three flavours (regular, insulated and stepped), glues, ballast and scenery materials.

To get: Laser cut module, BG4s for track ends, N-Scale cork and spacers, leveller feet.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:53 am

The most important project is probably the rebuilding of the end loops.
Loop rebuild.jpg

I have the new top panels and the triangles (need to be cut to size) and the Dual Frog Juicer.
Need to order most of the rest.
I am not sure how I am going to handle gluing down the flex track to get a smooth curve.
I know I am going to start by soldering two pieces of flex track together.
I had thought to check the flex track pieces and see if one rail is very loose. If so I would remove the loose rail.
Then solder all eight pieces together with the rail on the outside. This makes it easy to make sure the critical outside joints are smooth.
Then glue the whole mess down, threading the rail ends through the BG4 at the module edge.
Then after prepping the inside rails (file a bit of a point on them), thread them through the tie strips and solder the joints as necessary. I know this works as a few of the last modules I built were made this way - one rail at a time.
Of course I am trying to thread rail through up to three sets of flex track ties so it may not go as smooth as I hope.
Have to think about this some more.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby MacG » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am

Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Rich1853 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:15 pm

I bought and used this Alvin graduated beam compass at work to draw large radii for inspection of parts prior to the company spending big bucks on a optical and touch probe
Coordinate Measuring Machine.
https://www.draftingsuppliesdew.com/alv ... rkEALw_wcB
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby CFRiad » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:42 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:[...]it may not go as smooth as I hope. Have to think about this some more.

I would not solder the flex track together, but rather use regular joiners to maintain the clickety-clack sound. Then I'd solder power feed wires to each track section to maintain electrical continuity.

Also I would use insulating joiners at all electrical sectioning points rather than simply cut the rail. :wink:
CFRiad

Postby dileTTante » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:44 pm

CFRiad wrote:I would not solder the flex track together, but rather use regular joiners to maintain the clickety-clack sound.
My experience has been that unsoldered rail joiners don't keep the ends of the rails in a smooth curve. Soldered rail joiners are necessary on curves but that prevents curving the track because the ties will hit the joiners. And soldered rail joiners prevent threading the rail through the ties.

Curving flex track results in rail joints on outer and inner rails not being in the same place, so ties must be cut down or removed in unpredictable places to clear the joiners.

Also, I think both rails in flex track are loose. And I think gluing the track down on a curve with only one rail in place will not result in correct tie spacing for the missing rail.

If Bill can solder rail together without rail joiners, then I suggest soldering all rails, inner and outer, threading all back onto the ties, and treating the whole thing as one long piece of flex track to be glued down. That would guarantee keeping gauge correct and not require clearing tops of ties for joiners. Care would be needed not to stress and break the soldered joints.

I'm not an expert but I've had some of the problems which lead to these suggestions.

- Terry C
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans