TT-Tracks

Re: TT-Tracks

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:23 am

As I work on these new corners I have been contemplating the evolution of our corners.

We started with small corners with R1/R2 curves and quickly found that the curves were too sharp for some equipment.

Medium corners with R2/R3 curves were designed but never built, although we did use R3 on the turnback loops.

We jumped to large corners with R4/R5 curves and have run with these for many years now.

In 2017 I introduced 45 degree corners with R6/R7 curves. These were much nicer than the old corners.

Now I am working on 30 degree corners with R10/R11. These look really good.

The R numbers all have defined radiuses but didn't mean a lot to me until I converted them to their HO Scale equivalents.
R# ....MM.........Inches.....HO Equivalent....Where Used
R1 -- 310 mm -- 12.2 in. -- 16
R2 -- 353 mm -- 13.9 in. -- 18.25 -- R1 / R2 First Corners
R3 -- 396 mm -- 15.6 in. -- 20.5 - - Turn back loops
R4 -- 439 mm -- 17.3 in. -- 22.75
R5 -- 482 mm -- 19 in. ---- 25 - - - - R4 / R5 Large Corners
R6 -- 525 mm -- 20.7 in. -- 27.2
R7 -- 568 mm -- 22.4 in. -- 29.5 - - R6 / R7 45 degree corners
R8 -- 611 mm -- 24.1 in. -- 31.65
R9 -- 654 mm -- 25.7 in. -- 33.75
R10 -- 697 mm -- 27.4 in. - 36
R11 -- 740 mm -- 29.1 in. - 38.25 - - R10 / R11 30 degree corners.
The HO scale numbers have been rounded a bit.

Looking at the HO scale numbers shows why we have been having problems with equipment on our curves.
R2 is equivalent to 18" R in HO scale which is the minimum curve I would expect short equipment to run on. I would expect very little to run on R1.

R4 is the minimum radius I would expect long equipment to run on, so the rebuilding of the turn back loops from R3 to R4 is a very good idea.

It is not until we get to R10, a 36" radius equivalent, that we get to what used to be called a broad curve in HO scale. I think 48" is the new desired minimum curve, however we may never get there. That is R15/R16 territory and I have not yet tried to doodle a curve module with those radiuses. I might have to go to a 22.5 degree module.

The 30 degree R10/R11 curve modules are a good size for now.

A quick note - the substitution radius of a number six switch is 45" (R14) which is why equipment looks so good running through them.

As to progress on the 30 degree curve modules:
Modules two and three have been cut out and the glue is drying on the 1/2 BG2 track pieces. Cork roadbed tomorrow and track on Monday. Somewhere I will make time to paint Facias.
Still need foot blocks and feet.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:19 pm

After thinking about our curves and corners I decided to make a graphic to show the evolution of our corners.
Corner Comparison two.jpg

This shows all the corners we have used, are building or are contemplated, on top of each other with a common start edge.
It gives a very graphic demonstration of how far we have come.
If we ever get to the 22.5 degree curve modules, it will be an incredble sight.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:50 pm

Current state of the 30 degree corners.
20181126_Stack of Corners.jpg

The track in the second and third corners has been glued and is now drying.
From the leftover bits I made a BG1 module and a BG2 module.

Tomorrow when the glue is dry I will trim the rails.
The Peco code 75 rail threaded better than the US code 83 rail, especially after I filed the end to a point.

Not sure yet about scenery.

One of the modules will get power connectors.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:34 am

Modules 46 and 47 made from leftovers from the thirty degree corners.
20181130_BG1 and BG2 modules.jpg
These need fascias(painted and ready to install) and basic feet.

The three corners are at this level of completion.
20181130_Thirty degree corner.jpg
They need ballast, fascias (made) and feet. I have the blocks, ready to drill, need to buy the leveller feet and one corner needs a power connector.
Not sure if I have enough ballast. Will do as much as I can. Don't think I can get more ballast quickly.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:30 pm

Fascia colour.
Was looking at the other layouts at the VTE show a few weeks ago and looking at fascia colour.
I chose Hunter Green because that was what was used on the last group I was part of.
Is it the best colour?
The local N-Track group switched to satin black earlier this year and it looks good.

I am wondering about what other groups use, and opinions on changing our colour?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby DrCodeWizzard » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:39 pm

So I have a basic question. What kind of cork do you use for matching height of model track to bettungs track? I'm planning on building a sectional home layout and plan on using unijoiner track to connect sections but use model track inside each section.
DrCodeWizzard

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Module M39, the power module was a good idea, executed OK, but a failure in use.
Mounting the PSX2s underneath was a good idea to reduce the items we had to handle when setting up but when they failed to work, we couldn't see the error lights and the layout had to be broken apart to get them out.
I have decided to rebuild the whole thing.
module 39 modified.jpg
The module will be the power distribution module.
The PSX2s will be mounted on an external board where we can see the lights and easily remove them if they fail.
As well we can have alternate power controllers, like a Digitrax PM42 from my old DCC system.

I will dedicate one module container for power. It will have this module, the two power distribution boards, extension cords, a power bar, the cables for distributing the power around the layout, and various cable splitters.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:12 pm

DrCodeWizzard wrote:So I have a basic question. What kind of cork do you use for matching height of model track to bettungs track? I'm planning on building a sectional home layout and plan on using unijoiner track to connect sections but use model track inside each section.

N-Scale cork roadbed is close. I have used that with Tillig tie strips with no issues. It could really use a .010" shim to make it match perfectly.
If you use track with thinner ties, you will need to add thicker shims. I have used .020" shims with other brands of track. Some experimentation will be necessary to find out what works for you.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:11 pm

Two corner pieces.
20181202_two corner pieces.jpg

A filler piece can be added to spread them out a bit.
20181202_Two corners with spacer.jpg

All three corner pieces have their feet.
Two are completely ballasted and grassed. I am gluing the fascias on now.

The third has been grassed. It is awaiting installation of power feeds. As we often add a power splitter to carry the track power cable on to further modules, I am going to build one into the power cable.
I was a bit short of materials so I salvaged items of off the now unused wye corner.

When the power feeds are installed, I will ballast as much of the track as I have ballast for. Will be another week or two until I have more of the Scenic Express product I have been using. I am ordering through the store as the postage for ordering direct is horrendous to Canada. The fascias will be installed after the ballasting is done, or when I run out of ballast.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:55 pm

Finished with basic scenery.
IMG_20181205_191213-1480x366.jpg
The three thirty degree corners from the front.

IMG_20181205_191142-1480x353.jpg
From the back. Notice the double connectors on the power cable. This makes it easy to daisy chain the power cables around the layout.

IMG_20181205_191302-1480x516.jpg
Here is a forty five degree corner to contrast the two types of corner. The forty five degree corner has had a second connector added to the power cord.

IMG_20181205_191325-1480x1057.jpg
Here are the two types or corners from the end. It gives you a good idea how much gentler the curves on the thirty degree corners are.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans