TT Trackwork

Re: TT Trackwork

Postby gerhard_k » Sun May 24, 2015 4:39 pm

CSD wrote:Fast Tracks has made available this #6 assembly. When they build their new website a TT section will be included.

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/TT-6-Turno ... 6-me55.htm

A #8 will follow.

WOW!
I cannot help but think that this single act may have the largest-yet impact on bringing TT into the mainstream of model railroading. Think of all the people who may have never heard of TT but, in just casually strolling through the FastTracks website, stumble across this listing. "Hey - if FastTracks has a fixture for TT, it must be for real". :dance:

Now, if we only had Code 55 flextrack... :whistle:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby j p » Sun May 24, 2015 5:07 pm

gerhard_k wrote:
Now, if we only had Code 55 flextrack... :whistle:

Then what?
Order it if you want it. Michael (A&D) has it in 4 different versions - main line, branch line, siding, bridge.
Or was the meaning rather "if we only had cheap Code 55 flextrack"?
j p

Postby areibel » Sun May 24, 2015 5:45 pm

I think you know what he meant, JP! And "cheap' doesn't always mean someone doesn't want to spend any money for it.
Michael's track is beautiful, but at over 50 Euros per meter we would all have to have your money to buy it!
areibel

Postby j p » Sun May 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Then someone has to sponsor a tool for injection molded ties to make you happy.
The laser cut ties cost what they cost. TT-filigran's laser cut European style track costs 44.60 Euros per meter, and that is for 100+ times larger market (when talking TT-scale). With the injection molded ties, Filigran's price is around 13.25 Euro.
My estimate for US style track would be around 20 Euros per meter.
Should I ask Michael how much would it cost with resin ties instead of the laser cut?
j p

Postby CSD » Sun May 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Forget flex track. Not going to happen. zs12's method for track laying deserves some attention, however ( zs12-s-layout-logbook-t2419.html ). I printed out some resized HO tie drawings and decided to give it a go. Took me all of 10 minutes to get them in place. Glue the template down, put a thin layer of white glue down, put down the Cloverhouse ties (that's right, one at a time) and wait for it to dry. I put a circuit board tie every 12th tie (it should be closer - live and learn).

I'm no hand laying expert. Fact is - it's easy, highly rewarding and can be mastered pretty quickly. It took me a casual afternoon to build what is in the pictures and I'm learning as I go.
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby j p » Mon May 25, 2015 3:58 am

Now how to add tie plates and nails?
j p

Postby oldtrainguy » Mon May 25, 2015 9:44 am

Putting the ties down one at a time gives that nice slight random look. And the tie ends aren't a perfect straight line. And after you painted all the ties I can't even tell which ones are the pcb ties.

Looks great. I hope mine turns out this good.
Don
oldtrainguy

Postby richardedmonds » Mon May 25, 2015 10:39 am

FullSizeRender (2).jpg
This is catching isn't it
richardedmonds

Postby j p » Mon May 25, 2015 11:10 am

richardedmonds wrote:
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
This is catching isn't it

It looks good. There is a minor problem with the length of the ties. Next time, try to make all ties at "standard" length, e.g. they would not follow a smooth curve on both sides. Something like this:
j p

Postby richardedmonds » Mon May 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Nice JP that looks really good. My one was my first attemp at a curved turnout and I wasn't sure of anything to be honest. Main thing was that fine scale wheels don't derail and it works well in that respect, also I should have filed the blades a bit sharper but it works and the next ones will follow all the advice so thanks a lot
richardedmonds

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion