TT Track gauges

TT Track gauges

Postby dwyaneward » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:18 pm

HI all,

2nd post in sometime, been lurking for about 5 years. I have acquire one of SAZmodel MTB Switchers (waiting for another one) and want to build a small switching layout.

Are there track gauges for hand-laying track and turnouts. I have used Fast track fixtures for HO and N, but did not want to go that route this time. I also have one of the NMRA gauges from Coastal Engineering.

Thanks
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Re: TT Track gauges

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:33 pm

dwyaneward wrote:
Are there track gauges for hand-laying track and turnouts. I have used Fast track fixtures for HO and N, but did not want to go that route this time. I also have one of the NMRA gauges from Coastal Engineering.

Thanks

Kemtron made Code 70 and 100 TT track gauges years ago. Occasionally one pops up on eBay. I also have a gauge from 3SMR in England, it is barrel shaped and slides along the rails. I don't know the website address, it may be in the links section or one of the British guys may be able to provide the website address. :think: For turnouts, I've used the NMRA gauge from Coastal Engineering.
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:14 pm

I use the Coastal Engineering NMRA gauge as well.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TTTerrific » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:58 pm

While we are on this discussion, I'd like to know what experiences fellow "Nuts" have had in hand laying tracks and switches in TT std. gauge. For instance has anyone bellied -up to the bar and laid out a line or switch in code 55 rail? Are there templates in HO or N that can be used (as modified) for TT? Can any of the current track-laying products for HO, HOn3,etc be used effectively for TT? Need to know. I'm going to do something--and soon--about getting down some track, especially since I have an MTB SW1200 and two operating Scale Rails SP 0-6-0 steam switchers along with a few finished freight cars to be hauled around. No caboose, yet. Waiting to see what the guys in Germany will put on the market in that regard!
TTTerrific

Postby j p » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:15 pm

TTTerrific wrote:While we are on this discussion, I'd like to know what experiences fellow "Nuts" have had in hand laying tracks and switches in TT std. gauge. For instance has anyone bellied -up to the bar and laid out a line or switch in code 55 rail? Are there templates in HO or N that can be used (as modified) for TT? Can any of the current track-laying products for HO, HOn3,etc be used effectively for TT? Need to know. I'm going to do something--and soon--about getting down some track, especially since I have an MTB SW1200 and two operating Scale Rails SP 0-6-0 steam switchers along with a few finished freight cars to be hauled around. No caboose, yet. Waiting to see what the guys in Germany will put on the market in that regard!

Do you want a HP caboose?
Someone made laser cut ties and 3D printed spikes. I just don't remember who, but you can find it here on the board. Turnouts too.
j p

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:58 pm

"I also have a gauge from 3SMR in England, it is barrel shaped and slides along the rails. I don't know the website ... "

Probably:
http://www.3smr.co.uk/track.html

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby dwyaneward » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:41 pm

TTTerrific wrote:While we are on this discussion, I'd like to know what experiences fellow "Nuts" have had in hand laying tracks and switches in TT std. gauge. For instance has anyone bellied -up to the bar and laid out a line or switch in code 55 rail? Are there templates in HO or N that can be used (as modified) for TT? Can any of the current track-laying products for HO, HOn3,etc be used effectively for TT? Need to know. I'm going to do something--and soon--about getting down some track, especially since I have an MTB SW1200 and two operating Scale Rails SP 0-6-0 steam switchers along with a few finished freight cars to be hauled around. No caboose, yet. Waiting to see what the guys in Germany will put on the market in that regard!

I have handlay in HO and N turnouts and crossing. I plan on using Code 55 rail, I have some on hand. I took a Fast track #5 HO PDF template and imported it into AutoCAD, scale it to 1:120 and printed for a template. It match up to some TT flex track I have also.

I have invested into a laser (in route to the house) and plan to cut my own tie strips from Taskboard like this guy has done for N scale http://www.gamrailroad.com/build/2013/2013_09_19.html. he glue the rail straight to the taskboard with pilobond, Look like it working so far for him.

I found that the following Fast Track items are good for handlaying TT Scale

CopperHead HO Narrow Gauge PC Board Crossover Ties - 1/16"
CopperHead HO Scale Narrow Gauge PC Board Turnout Ties - 1/16"
HOn3 Scale, Unfinished Wood Turnout Ties - 500 pcs
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:00 pm

Oh man Dwyane, I can't wait to see what you end up making. I've always been...how should I say it....averse? to laying my own rail. Not sure why. I love the way well done rail looks.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:22 am

"has anyone bellied -up to the bar and laid out a line or switch in code 55 rail? "

I recently built a switch with code 80 N scale rail. I could have used code 55 but I wanted to see if I could get the large euro flanges to run thru it along with HP sized flanges (Code 55 is not tall enough for the larger flanges to clear the rail joiners). I'm thinking I'll use code 70 rail on my layout so I can be more flexible with the wheels in the trucks on my cars, otherwise I'd go with code 55 for cheaper rail costs. I'm hoping to find an affordable source for code 70 flextrack so I don't have to hand lay all my track and then could just handlay the turnouts which is a lot easier( I built a 3 foot section of straight track today with code 70 rail on wooden ties and it took over an hour to glue down the ties and spike the rails, would have taken even long if I'd used some PC board ties and solder instead of a spiking it all. For hand laid turnouts I was using PC board ties from Fastracks, their HOn30 regular ties are just about correct length for common ties and their HOn30 crossover or PC switch tie material is good for the longer ties. Last ties I ordered were from Clover House in their TT scale size, they are cheaper than Fast Tracks but I haven't tied them yet to see how they work.
I use a sheet metal TT scale gauge I got from someone that advertised on another TT scale group, can't recall the name but it looks like the normal NMRA gauges. I also make plastic gauges by cutting two TT gauge spaced grooves in a rectangular shaped piece of plastic , they are cheap and easy to make and work well for holding the rails in preliminary alignment before using the metal gauge to spike or solder them as the case may be. I don't use templates or need jigs as I've made enough turnouts to know where everything goes so I just make the frog to match the desired route and solder down the rails. I put a photo of my #6 test turnout in the photo galley a couple of weeks ago, it should still be near the top of the photo list...DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Zs12 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:15 am

art&detail also offers a NMRA gauge for TT scale. fixtures/gauges and other stuff for handlaying TT code 55 and code 70 track can be ordered from Hobby-Ecke Schuhmacher via http://www.get-backers.org/hobby-ecke-shop/gx2/ (categories "Gleisbau" > "Gleisbau TT" > "Gleisbau Zubehör" items "Spurlehre TT Code 55" or "Spurlehre TT Code 70")

lüTTe
Zs12

Next

Return to General Discussion