TT Track gauges

Re: TT Track gauges

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:58 am

TTTerrific wrote:While we are on this discussion, I'd like to know what experiences fellow "Nuts" have had in hand laying tracks and switches in TT std. gauge. For instance has anyone bellied -up to the bar and laid out a line or switch in code 55 rail? Are there templates in HO or N that can be used (as modified) for TT? Can any of the current track-laying products for HO, HOn3,etc be used effectively for TT? Need to know.

I handlaid some code 55 on a small section of track (approximately 2 feet) several years ago. I found that the flanges on my very small number of older BTTB Euro engines hit the spike heads when running over the small piece of code 55 track. It was an experiment, and this section was replaced with code 70 rail. No problems with the handlaid code 70 rail. I was using the smallest size spikes provided at the time by Micro Engineering, part # 30-106. As previously mentioned in other threads on this forum, the spikes can be eliminated by either gluing the rail to the ties or by using printed circuit (pc) board ties and soldering the rail to the pc ties. (don't forget to cut a gap in the middle of the pc ties).

Templates? I don't see why HO templates couldn't be used, "shrinking" them to TT size using a copy machine.
milwrd1

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:00 am

Juup wrote:"I also have a gauge from 3SMR in England, it is barrel shaped and slides along the rails. I don't know the website ... "

Probably:
http://www.3smr.co.uk/track.html

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2

Yes, this is the one, called a "roller gauge". Easy to work with.
milwrd1

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:04 pm

"As previously mentioned in other threads on this forum, the spikes can be eliminated by either gluing the rail to the ties or by using printed circuit (pc) board ties and soldering the rail to the pc ties"

The larger flanges will hit the rail joiners of code 55 rail too so if someone wanted to use PC board ties they'd have to figure out a substitute for rail joiners which is not that hard to do but after looking at code 70 and code 55 for a while I decided that code 70 looked good enough and is a lot sturdier plus I can spike it with a kadee spiker.DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:38 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"As previously mentioned in other threads on this forum, the spikes can be eliminated by either gluing the rail to the ties or by using printed circuit (pc) board ties and soldering the rail to the pc ties"

The larger flanges will hit the rail joiners of code 55 rail too so if someone wanted to use PC board ties they'd have to figure out a substitute for rail joiners which is not that hard to do but after looking at code 70 and code 55 for a while I decided that code 70 looked good enough and is a lot sturdier plus I can spike it with a kadee spiker.DaveB

Do you really need any rail joiners when using PC board ties?
How about soldering two rails onto the same PC board section?
j p

Postby CSD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:... if someone wanted to use PC board ties they'd have to figure out a substitute for rail joiners...

j p wrote:... How about soldering two rails onto the same PC board section?

Or perhaps this.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:14 pm

"How about soldering two rails onto the same PC board section?"

That would work or one can just solder a piece of wire along the rail base spanning the gap on the outside of the track. If it's an insulated gap those gap masters or a couple of PC board ties glued to the roadbed will take care of it. The construction problems can be solved, the main thing to consider is if you really want code 55 or if code 70 would work better. Code 55 looks better from a scale size standpoint but code 70 is stiffer and sturdier . .DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby dwyaneward » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:13 pm

When I was waiting on my Kuehn track and turnouts to arrive. I thought back about this post from a year ago and did a little research and found some dimensions online for a track gauge and had some 3D printed.

They will work better than the ones I laser cut from acrylic, so now I have some gauges for future hand laying.
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby Bernd » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi Dwyane,

Are those made with the "ultra frosted finish" material? I have a bunch of HOn30 truck side frames that I wanted to modify for TT use. In reworking a pair of them I noticed that this material was a bit brittle. Let us know how they hold up under normal use.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby dwyaneward » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Bernd wrote:Hi Dwyane,

Are those made with the "ultra frosted finish" material?
Bernd

Transparent acrylic. You can see it at my shapeways shop https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kdmodels
Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby Bernd » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:36 am

You have some nice products there.

Bernd
Bernd

PreviousNext