TT fine scale wheelsets are here!

TT fine scale wheelsets are here!

Postby ConnRiver » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:57 am

TT scale wheelsets.JPG

A package from Matt Gaudynski, Fox Valley Models, arrived the other day. It contained 12 wheel-axle sets. My digital calipers need a fresh battery, but using a ruler it appears these are Code 72 33-inch wheels. The package was a followup to an exchange of emails with Matt last fall.

In the photo, on the left is a Gold Coast truck with GC wheelsets, on the right a GC truck is carrying Fox Valley wheelsets. Behind the trucks (in reverse order, for some unknown reason . . . ;-) on the left are a pair of FVM wheelsets, on the right GC wheelsets. The narrower tread width on FVM wheelsets will require truck mods to narrow the crossbeam - it is clear in the photo that the sideframes are not close enough to the wheels.

In reply to an email I sent to Matt yesterday, I received the following from him this morning:

> Hi Brian . . . go ahead and start a conversation with them if you like. I am on the road to an N Scale convention this week, but will be back in the office on the 1st. I will be able to check my numbers and figure a cost then. I am happy to sell them in our line if there is a market. I ran 1000 axles as a test - which you have the first 12. I should be able to pack another 80 12 packs from this first batch. TT looks like a very interesting scale and it is good to see a little more offered in it. Talk to you next week.

Best regards, Matt <

Alex, your road is open for business, correct? Can I send you four wheelsets to test? I don't have track for my SW1200 to pull GC boxcars along. Yet.

-Brian

Brian Chapman / Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Re: TT fine scale wheelsets are here!

Postby Marquette » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:55 am

Those do look much better than existing wheels!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 pm

How soon can I get some? I can redo the center section of my mold masters to work with the length of these wheels if folks are interested.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:47 pm

ConnRiver wrote:In reply to an email I sent to Matt yesterday, I received the following from him this morning:
Matt - FoxValley wrote:<snip> I ran 1000 axles as a test - which you have the first 12. I should be able to pack another 80 12 packs from this first batch. TT looks like a very interesting scale and it is good to see a little more offered in it. Talk to you next week.
Oh... my wallet is hurting already. I need SO MANY of these!!!! (for all my Gold Coast trucks etc.)

In my continuing TT nightmare... the Code 72 36in wheel axle sets would become available as well!!!!
Also, a TT-fine conversion bolster seems to be in order.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby areibel » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:45 pm

I wonder if you could cut down the center bolster just a bit to move the sdideframes in?
areibel

Postby Richard-B » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:10 pm

areibel wrote:I wonder if you could cut down the center bolster just a bit to move the sdideframes in?
That's plan "B".
Richard-B

Postby gerhard_k » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 pm

Richard-B wrote:
areibel wrote:I wonder if you could cut down the center bolster just a bit to move the sideframes in?
That's plan "B".

But that would also mean that the point-to-point axle length would have to be shorter by the same amount. Somebody better treat the whole truck frame//wheel-set thing as a system!

Also, in Brian's photo, and I realize the large flanges can distort the view, it seems like the tread diameter of the fine-scale wheels is smaller than the GC wheels - are those 36-inchers?
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:33 pm

Snap! They look soooooo nice! Yes, my road is open and ready and I have both Tillig and Kuhn track and switches to try them out on. Feel free to send some tryout wheels. I have a feeling I'll be ordering a bunch depending on diameter.

Perhaps send a set as well to one of the guys or gals here that either have Filligran track or are working on their own track design?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:58 pm

The Gold Coast wheels work out to slightly more than 38 inchers, Gerhard, I'm keeping mine for switcher duty. The wheel sets that LocknRoll are including now are 33 inch sets with a more reasonable flange.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Richard-B » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:58 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:The Gold Coast wheels work out to slightly more than 38 inchers, Gerhard, I'm keeping mine for switcher duty. The wheel sets that LocknRoll are including now are 33 inch sets with a more reasonable flange.
GCR had TWO sizes... sold as nominal "36in" and "33in"... I heard that the larger ones were an "accident".

The GCR 33" wheels I have measure 0.273in... (6.95mm) which (120x) would be 32.76in.
Richard-B

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models