Tillig style
No votes
Kadee #714
100%

Total votes : 11

Re: TT scale US wagons

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:59 am

Thanks Bill!

As myself and others have posted and as you mention, the surface is the only real drawback. I think with a little experimentation though, we'll stumble on the right solution (some priming method I guess?). I'm counting on those of you who are skilled with painting to get us there - I'll try things out but assume that those with more experience will figure it out much faster.

For pictures, you can take a look a few pages back where I posted 3 of the prototype or just do a google search for "mill gondola".

CSD is doing a new shell for the GP7/9 and I'm about to start work on a 3rd freight car. I think by X-Mas, we should have a good assortment to choose from. A flat car will indeed be an interesting challenge. I might do one after the hopper.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:54 pm

hi conducTTor

mine arrived today and you have done a great job. the trucks are good. the roughness, well i guess i don't know whether it will be an issue or not. i suspect paint will fix it but i'm not an expert painter. certainly it won't matter on the bit i am chiefly interested in, which is the trucks. it makes me think i ought to learn sketch-up and have a go at doing one of the simpler aussie wagons to test it.

it's interesting that we have a GP7 on the horizon and there seem to be a couple of irish diesels in 3mm in Shapeways catalog, i wonder if ordering one might be an idea to see if this medium is good with details like GM doors and latches, fans etc?

http://www.shapeways.com/model/64468/3m ... 1_181.html

ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:31 pm

ctxmf74 wrote: and what might those brass goodies be? .....dave

I bought a pair of his new coil cars and a depressed cener flat car, but I can't find a pic in Siggi's Model Shop. I'll have to scan
the pics and post them here.
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:02 am

areibel wrote:
ctxmf74 wrote:
I bought a pair of his new coil cars and a depressed center flat car, but I can't find a pic in Siggi's Model Shop. I'll have to scan
the pics and post them here

Sounds interesting. Are they kits or built cars? Are they USA prototypes? Does he sell brass trucks for them? ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:06 am

I see the gondola with trucks listed in the shapeways store but it says "not for sale" ? Does it take some time for them to make it available as a package?
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:27 am

ctxmf74 wrote:I see the gondola with trucks listed in the shapeways store but it says "not for sale" ? Does it take some time for them to make it available as a package?

I just added it yesterday. I have no idea if their software will play nice with multiple objects in the same file so I've ordered it. As soon as I get the "your package is on the way" email, I'll make it available (as well as the truck pair).
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Taxari » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:43 am

The depressed center flat car is an older model from Ingo Schwaetzer. You can find a picture on www.ttscale.com. It's listed as a product from coastal engineering # SCH-81097. The flat and the coil cars are kits.
Jörg
Taxari

Postby scaro » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:40 am

Alex, I'm just wanting to check . . . the material used for the wagon and trucks is Polyamide PA2200, is that right?

Cheers

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:42 am

scaro wrote:Alex, I'm just wanting to check . . . the material used for the wagon and trucks is Polyamide PA2200, is that right?

Cheers

Ben

Correct.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:43 am

I did some asking on the proto87 forum about this plastic and the consensus seemed to be an 'oh, it's a nylon, it has its uses, worth trying' kind of thing rather than a 'you're using WHAT?'.

My concern was more that as I might be using different wheels to the Tillig ones most of you use, that I might run into some wear and tear issues down the track, eg, the 2mm Association sell a 7mm finescale N wheel that's very easily regaugable but it has finer axlepoints than the Tilligs. A couple of the proto87 guys there noted various engineering applications where nylons like this are used in a 'metal on plastic' use and one suggested the porosity might indicate that fine graphite lubricant would be useful if needed.

So, all good . . . I hope some of this is handy to know.

Ben
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models