What type of coupler?

Tillig style
No votes
Kadee #714
100%

Total votes : 11

Re: TT scale US wagons

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

New stuff is here. Tried out the trucks and I'm very happy with them. I need to make a small change since I shaved a bit too much material from the side frames but that will be quick and easy.

Here's a rolling test:

What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:36 pm

WHEEEEEEE!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:49 pm

Looks like they roll :>)
Did Shapeways tell you anything about the longevity of their plastic?
When will the Gondola and the Tankcar be released for sale?
I see the possibility to raise the era of my layout into a more modern time frame with your cars, How about a 57foot mechanical reefer and a modern outside post Railbox type boxcar one of these days?...dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm

The bolts on the side of the body are also visible in the new version although I need to revise them slightly (I'm not going to bother with a pic because my camera is a piece of crap that won't focus that close). The new body also has the step ladders at each corner.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:55 pm

ctxmf74 wrote: Did Shapeways tell you anything about the longevity of their plastic?

I never enquired as I never thought of that. But it's plastic - it last forever no?

ctxmf74 wrote: When will the Gondola and the Tankcar be released for sale?

One last set of revisions on the gon and trucks. I hope within a day or so. The tank will be a bit longer - I'm ordering the preliminary version tomorrow and next week I'm out of town on vacation so no work will be done on it.

ctxmf74 wrote:How about a 57foot mechanical reefer and a modern outside post Railbox type boxcar one of these days?...dave

It's quite possible as I haven't decided on the next car yet.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:23 pm

It looks pretty good, Alex. Congratulations.

As to how long lasting, slippery plastics like Delrin last a long time but others I believe not (necessarily) so. I suppose the envisaged uses of a type of plastic may not include ongoing friction from metal parts like axles, but hard to say for sure unless we know what type of plastic it is.

The more primitive epoxy resins as I recall are not good for parts like trucks- they heat up and go out of shape due to friction. Various urethanes seem to be better, but I'm no expert on what works best or for how long.

B.
scaro

Postby jmass » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:45 pm

It is very good to know that within a couple of months time there will be a gondola and tank car to add to the tt arsenal.well done my friend,well done!
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:15 pm

Got the whole thing together and on the tracks.

The mounted coupler is dead on expected height (yay).
The plastic is strong enough to hold the screws (yay).
Both the coupler and trucks were mounted with 0-80 6mm long bolts that I picked up at the local Ace Hardware. If you're careful, you can use that bolt on the trucks and it will come right up to the top side of the belly without going through and will leave a tiny bit of play for the trucks. The coupler required a spacer to be added or it would have gone through (or you can just shorten the bolt).

The gon will do a 310mm radius min. - 286mm (standard BTTB U track) is no good. This is due to the prototype's sides coming down around the trucks rather than the design of the model. Since it's limited to the prototype's design, I will not change it. You can however, shave down the inside of the "skirts" or the trucks or both to get it on a 286mil radius.

The step ladders at the corners will also be removed - on the prototype's shallow radius curves they pose no problem however in "miniature land" curves they get in the way of the truck rotating properly. You can always add them yourself if you want.

It does switches about as well as the GC box - meaning about the same rate of derailing. I don't currently have a #713/714 equipped loco ready to go so all rail testing was done by hand.

I'm going to add .1mm of thickness to the floor and pull the side bolts out just a hair so they stand out a bit more. Also, the mounting holes need to be widened by about .1mm. They work but are slightly too tight.

Picture 001.jpg

Picture 002.jpg

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:48 pm

FYI revisions to the truck added 16 cents to the cost of a pair. I hope that doesn't break anyone's bank ;)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Dang! That's how all the high pressure salesmen operate, lots of flashy videos showing you exactly what you want and then BAM! jack up the price 16 cents!
Guess I'll start figuring out which kid not to feed next week? :lol:
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models