What type of coupler?

Tillig style
No votes
Kadee #714
100%

Total votes : 11

Re: TT scale US wagons

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:41 pm

I'd really prefer to devote my time to more prototypes rather than doing double developments. V2 of the gon should be here tomorrow as well as the resized trucks. Hopefully everything will be perfect this time around and I can actually put the thing on the rails. If I can do that, coupler location and attachment to the body will be one of the important things to look at. Unless I experience serious problems, I'll likely keep things as they are.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:30 pm

Tank's done. At least the first version. I'm going on vacation next week so I'll have to wait for a few days to order it so I can time it to arrive there.

I'm curious if the railings will come out ok.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/141757/t ... scale.html
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Tank's done. At least the first version.

Are you trying to mold the railings with the body? I think it would be better to leave them off and make them out of brass wire? Same for the stirrup steps, molded parts like those always look too thick in small scales. Is the shapeways plastic thermoplastic so wire parts can be heated with a soldering iron and pushed into place without drilling, if so it just takes a few minutes to bend and install steps and grab irons? .....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:56 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Tank's done. At least the first version.

Are you trying to mold the railings with the body? I think it would be better to leave them off and make them out of brass wire? Same for the stirrup steps, molded parts like those always look too thick in small scales. Is the shapeways plastic thermoplastic so wire parts can be heated with a soldering iron and pushed into place without drilling, if so it just takes a few minutes to bend and install steps and grab irons? .....dave

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I did not think of that.

I think I'll leave them on for the first prototype just to get an idea of what I can expect from the manufacturing when it comes to little stuff like that.

I have no idea if it's thermoplastic - I'll test it out. What kind of wire do you use?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:10 am

ConducTTor wrote: What kind of wire do you use?

Mostly the Details associates brass wire that comes in small packs at the train shop. They make various sizes in round and flat. I also use it for coupler cut levers, ladder rungs, brake pipes, grab irons, etc. , ...dave
ctxmf74

Postby CSD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:04 pm

@ ConducTTor: Let me know how the railings work out for you and how thin you can get them. I had just assumed that they would be too thin. Also, I would not worry about the coupler mount. The term "craftsman's kit" can solve a lot of design issues (wink). Seriously though, with the do-it-yourself nature of these kits the best solution may be to leave a nice flat spot and let folks decide for themselves how to stick on the coupler.

P.S. Thanks for the tip about Shapeways!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:17 pm

CSD wrote:Let me know how the railings work out for you and how thin you can get them.

Will do.

CSD wrote:Also, I would not worry about the coupler mount. The term "craftsman's kit" can solve a lot of design issues (wink). Seriously though, with the do-it-yourself nature of these kits the best solution may be to leave a nice flat spot and let folks decide for themselves how to stick on the coupler.

Well, I think that the more stuff that can be designed in the better. It will save people time and also minimize the need for future changes. If 5 guys try to mount the coupler 5 different ways, there are potentially 5 different problems that I'm asked to address. One way of mounting = only one thing to revise in case of issues. I want things to be designed such that once the design is finalized, I never have to touch it again and people can get as many as they want whenever they want and can expect the same thing every time.

CSD wrote:P.S. Thanks for the tip about Shapeways!

No prob :thumbup:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:42 pm

CSD wrote:with the do-it-yourself nature of these kits the best solution may be to leave a nice flat spot and let folks decide for themselves how to stick on the coupler.

Yeah, that drawing looks like there's enough thickness to drill the pad? .030 or so should be thick enough if the material is as strong as regular plastic cars. Screws installed then ground off flush and glued with CA are pretty strong even in thin plastic. I think the main thing is to make sure the pad is at least .350 above the rails with the car sitting in the trucks, if there's extra room a shim can be glued on to the pad to lower the coupler but if there's not enough room the pad would have to be filed off or the car raised too high? ....dave
ctxmf74

Postby CSD » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:12 pm

I had another idea about the couplers. Noticing the hole in the middle I wondered if you could put a sleeve such as this:
Coupler Mount.jpg

It has been a while since I've had to deal with a North American coupler...
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:28 pm

The sleeve was my first thought towards a solution. Unfortunately there is not enough space in the coupler box for a sleeve to go through.

I am however still considering a sleeve for the truck mounting since I can design the truck to accommodate it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models