tt scale

tt scale

Postby jmass » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:13 pm

was just wondering about where the production of tt scale stoped in the usa. from what i read most companys went out of buisness in the late sixties and some in the early seventies. i would think that that would have put them right around the gp38,40s and mabey some u25s or u30cs . would be real interested to know.
jmass

Re: tt scale

Postby member13 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:22 pm

HP Products discontinued TT in 1968. I'm guessing by that time, they may have been working on newer models that ended up not seeing production. According to Wikipedia, the last known whereabouts of the tooling are an individual in Chicago. That person is likely one of very few who know at what stage TT in the US stopped.
member13

Postby member13 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:42 pm

I also found this at http://www.ttscale.com/w-history.htm:

'By the early 1950's H.P. Products had more than 20 different power units available for the TT hobbyist, either in kit form or assembled. These included everything from an 0-6-0 switch engine to a 2-8-8-2 Articulated to a pair of EMD E7 diesels.'
member13

Postby member13 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 pm

I guess I should have read everything and just posted once. Oh well. Here is another excerpt that I found in http://www.ttscale.com/w-history-later.htm which sheds some light on who the above mentioned individual may be.

'One thing Dick was apparently trying to do was reintroduce the HP line of locos'

Also, given this statement 'the company boasted of over 2000 items', there may well have been models such as gp38s, gp40s, etc.
member13

Postby areibel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:22 pm

HP was sold several times through the years, I think Larry Sayre finally obtained HP and several other TT companies (or the remains thereof!). He owned HP, Gandy Dancer and several others
Larry sold the business to John Harmon (1988, I think?) and John operated it as Allegheny Models. He later sold to Stan Lisowski (spelling?), who operated as
Tempe TT. When Stan passed away, it was inherited by his son. He's the one that has the majority of TT's history locked up and decaying in a garage in Chicago. He's bitter about his father buying the company to start with, so he doesn't care what happens to it. He's willing to sell, but his asking price (reportedly over $40k) is about twice the value of the actual inventory. He won't sell anything separately, many have tried. And he hasn't taken any care to preserve the dies/ molds/ parts- no telling what condition it's in now. I keep buying lotto tickets though, just in case!
If you're interested in American TT, Larry and John are great guys to talk to. Both still deal in some TT, John is in the process of moving so he in limbo for now but Larry is a great source of parts and some kits (not many locomotives, though :( ). John still produces some "new" TT, he works closely with Elmer McKay (Possum Valley Models). Their phone numbers are on the TTscale.com website.

Dick Taylor tried to bring TT back in the 90's, but caused more problems than he solved. He bought up what he could find, added a lot of Tillig and turned out a catalog. He didn't do well, left a lot of people waiting for money or product and kind of gave TT a black eye. He did do dome interesting thngs, one was a resin boiler for a small Tillig steamer to Americanize it. It looks pretty good, even with the big Tillig flanges but never got mass produced.
areibel

Postby jmass » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:19 pm

jeeezz, how long is this guy going to hold a grudge. its a shame.
jmass

Postby scaro » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:48 am

Unfortunately it is the way of small scales. Anytime you have one person who has all the dies and masters in his possession, you have problems.

The discussion of the 'resurrection' of American TT happens as a yearly event on the Atlas and other forums, and none of it ever leads to anything. I suppose now it can occur on this forum, LOL.

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:41 am

scaro wrote:The discussion of the 'resurrection' of American TT happens as a yearly event on the Atlas and other forums, and none of it ever leads to anything. I suppose now it can occur on this forum, LOL.

How many times can you beat a dead horse before it comes alive? :lol:
Luckily statistics are on the side of American TT. The more often the subject is brought up, the more likely it is that someone will do something about it. Heck if I had several thousand dollars, I'd give it a go. As areibel said, I'm playing the lottery.......
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:10 pm

Not so sure of that. There is certainly evidence that people persist in impossible ideas for a very long time without obtaining satisfaction. Sometimes several generations.

It's more or less the same people asking for RTR TT scale every year.

And every year, without fail, they don't get what they want. ;)

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:00 pm

scaro, you're full of positivity ;) I intend to push this until I stop having fun with it (I'm pretty stubborn so that may be a looooong time). If nothing comes of it, so be it - I enjoy having a place to talk about TT that doesn't require translation. So,

full_speed_ahead_.jpg
full_speed_ahead_.jpg (38.81 KiB) Viewed 669 times
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion