TT Scale Society

Re: TT Scale Society

Postby scaro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:36 pm

areibel wrote:. . . Anyone that's a little creative might look at a Piko Hercules, the chassis and truck wheelbases are very close to the GP38-2 and it's DCC ready but you need to do some engineering.

Hi Al

How much engineering is needed before the Hercules could be used for a hood loco? Is the frame metal? Does it need milling or would it be easier to build a new frame and mount the trucks in that, in order to do a hood loco?

I'm intrigued as one guy on the NZ120 board took one to bits and regauged it to 9mm (!) and it looks a pretty well designed mechanism.

Cheers

Ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi Ben,
The chass is white metal with a raised pocket around where the motor sits and the motor itself is too fat to fit, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to change it. I took one to work and used a 6 inch belt sander to grind it down, it didn't take 5 minutes. I'm not sure how the shell would sit though, I can't really judge how high it would sit without having a shell to try. If it did sit too high as is I'd bet it wouldn't be too hard to use some brass sheet to make a chassis plate and use the Piko trucks with a thinner motor. I'd bet that .020 or .040 brass coul be used, and it could be done with hand tools instead of a milling machine. I'll have to dig mine out and see how hard that would be.
Al
areibel

Postby scaro » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks Al

Kind of a relief as it is very easy to work white metal.

Cheers

Ben
scaro

Postby sd80mac » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi Al,

How are things progressing with this model?

Donnell

areibel wrote:Well, so far we have this-

This is the CAD drawing that Mark has done, he posted this one to TT_IMS. There's more to be done, but so far- WOW! It still needs some details added, and it doesn't show the sideframes for the trucks.
Here's Mark's website- http://mark4design.com/html/scale_model_products.html
If you look at the N scale hoods on the left side, you can see some of his N scale work. The TT one is the first full shell he's done, but I think it will be awesome. I think he's putting in the extra effort! The Bull Ant still has to get to him, he needs to design the body to fit a specific frame, even if it's a piece of PC board that the Bull Ant chassis kit uses. If the current Bull Ant won't work, it would be basically the same "floor" if we have to switch to the Gozunder chassis. I'll just be glad to have the shell, I can make it roll one way or another!
The Gozunder might have to be it for now, with the motor in the fuel tank. The good thing is that would leave the shell basically emptyfor a decoder or sound. But you'd also have to add weight higher up, I was hoping to keep the fuel tanks as a big slug of metal for better operating. I suppose it's not a huge thing.
sd80mac

Postby areibel » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi Donnell,
Progress has been slow (PAINFULLY so, it seems!), but I got an email from Mark a week ago. The master for the shell should be here this month, the truck sideframes at the same time and the artwork for the etches shortly thereafter. I've gotten quotes from two different resin casters, I'm waiting on two more. And for the etching I'll have to have the artwork in hand for getting a quote. There will be an etch for the details (fan grilles , walkway, etc) and one for a chassis that can be used with the Bull Ant trucks. We'll probably price the shell with the first etch and offer the second as an option, I know there are going to be other power chassis options available- Lok-N-Roll has expressed an interest in doing a version of theirs for the GP38-2.
I've got my fingers crossed! With any luck I'm really hoping to have it out by the end of November at the latest. We'll probably be limited to an initial run of 50 pieces available to paid Society members first then additional runs to offer to the TT public. I'm hoping down the road to be able to offer a laser cut set of window inserts for it (that would be usable for other EMD's) but that's not in the budget right now.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:51 pm

areibel wrote:With any luck I'm really hoping to have it out by the end of November at the latest..

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Screen shots!
The shell is basically the same look, with the chassis in place. The chassis shot shows how the etch will fold up to form the chassis, with room for a decoder, mounts for the headlight, etc. It will use Bull Ant trucks.
I hate waiting!
Al
areibel

Postby sd80mac » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Looks good Al! Innovative chassis design. I was thinking of something more conventional for the GP35, but I may have to look closer at this...

Donnell

Not long now!!!
sd80mac

Postby jmass » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:53 pm

man that is beautiful. cant wait to see the finished product!
jmass

Postby areibel » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:32 pm

sd80mac wrote:Looks good Al! Innovative chassis design. I was thinking of something more conventional for the GP35, but I may have to look closer at this...

Donnell

Not long now!!!

Thanks! but I can't really take any credit!
Hollywood Foundry offers a generic chassis kit with Bull Ant trucks. We looked at it, but it's basically a piece of green fiberglass (PC) board. You have to cut and shape it, mount the trucks and motor, ect to make a flat chassis similar to a brass HO diesel. Plus there were some questions if we'd be able to get the ride height right or if the shell would be too high off the rails. Mark took it upon himself to come up with this, and he put a lot of thought into it. It will be a little bit of work to assemble but I don't think it will be too much for anyone to build. I'd like to eventually see a nice white metal chassis for weight but that's wish list for now, along with a nice heavy duty motor that's 13MM wide or less.
The only difference on the model will probably be the handrails. Mark has them drawn as wire, but that would require individually applied stanchions along with soldering the wire to them. We're probably going to do an etched handrail righ ton the stanchions so they can be applied as one assembly. The die hards can cut them apart and solder wire if desired, but it makes it easier for the guys that want to get running faster.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion