TT Scale Society

Re: TT Scale Society

Postby jmass » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am

was going thru some old issues of model railroader and came across an ad for nwsl drive systems. they are based out of seattle washington and the advertisement states precision systems to fit just about any need from n to large scale.although they probaly never expected to hear from tters. http://www.nwsl.com just thought ide pass it along.joe
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:49 pm

Al, how is the project going? I know Mark had some projects to finish before getting to this one but I'm sitting on pins and needles waiting for this thing :mrgreen:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:17 am

Still patiently waiting! :(
The master is paid for, so it's coming! I sent Mark a Bull Ant power chassis kit for him to check out, he's going to use his CAD wizardry to see if it will work or not. He has to tailor the shell to whatever we're going to use as a chassis, which will probably be a piece of green fiberglass board (think a PC board with no copper). Brass sheet would work too, it would help with the weight (pull better) but I think the 'glass board would be more DCC friendly?
We still have to get quotes for the actual casting, but we need the master first. And the etching will need done also, but I don't think that's as big an issue. I want our finished product to be in this class of model (these are resin HO w/ etched parts)-
http://www.railyardmodels.com/catalog/p ... rrx58.html
areibel

Postby scaro » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:40 am

Thanks for the update, Al.

Ben
scaro

Postby jmass » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:40 pm

hey Al, was wondering whats up with the search for a chasis for the gp38 project. also the possibility of a new freight car. joe
jmass

Postby areibel » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:19 pm

There are a couple options that seem to be coming together at about the same time.
The Bull Ant- I wasn't too sure about it, even Geoff wasn't sure it would work (getting the front gear tower under the short hood is the problem). But I sent one to Mark at Mark 4, he thinks he has it solved. That's the nice thing about having someone like Mark involved, he has the mechanical ability to fix it as he's building it!
Then there's the Lok N Roll chassis. I have one on the way, I'm real interested to see if he could do a similar build for the GP38. The GP38 wheelbase is a little longer (3 feet in real life), and the chassis would have to be altered to fit under the hood. I haven't contacted him yet but it looks like he has a lot of the engineering done already (plus they're about 2/3 the cost of a Bull Ant).
And there will be the home built possibilities- Modifying a PVM GP kit, Buying the trucks directly from a Tillig dealer and building a brass or styrene sheet chassis plate- Lots of options! The one thing we need to keep our eyes open for are a little larger motors- Mashima makes a 10 MM and a 12 MM, then jump up to a 13.6 (wide). The difference in power is pretty substantial, If we could get a healthier 12 or 13 MM wide motor It would help- the inside of the shell is going to be just a hair over 13MM inside, a 13.6 won't fit..

Nothing on any new rolling stock from the Society, yet! We just can't afford it yet, I'm not sure what the costs will be to get the shells cast and the etches for the GP done. I really need to learn CAD! If you can get the 3D drawings done, the cost to have a master done gets very reasonable with some of the RP companies out there.
There are some things brewing, Art and Detail has a couple etched kits in the works, and I think Felix has a new jewel coming? And Fred (Mini Things) has a gondola in the works too. That's the ones I know of, there are some other master out there that someone was sitting on, I'm hoping they get inspired to start turning out some kits!
Al
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 pm

areibel wrote:If you can get the 3D drawings done, the cost to have a master done gets very reasonable with some of the RP companies out there.

This is something I could potentially do (my first B.S. is in CAD) but I'm not too hot on it. However, if it will make a BIG difference, let me know and I'll "sacrifice" some of my time.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:15 pm

anything new with the search for a chasis for the gp38 project?
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Al, contact me about this if it's stalled. We may be able to do the chassis ourselves. This place where I'm getting the wagon done offers steel and some aluminum hybrid as materials. We can potentially design our own chassis from the ground up.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 am

I'll have to rattle Mark's cage and see. He was working with another guy in NZ to design a chassis specifically for TT. The sencond guy was a machinist and could do all the gears, wheels, etc from Mark's design. But last I heard the machinist passed away suddenly. I'm not sure how far along it was, if there's anyone else that can complete it, etc..
I'll drop him a line and see how it's going. If nothing else get the shell done, then there will be at least a couple options- Lok-N-Roll, modified Bull Ant, or whatever our CAD wizard can build!
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion