TT Scale Society

Re: TT Scale Society

Postby areibel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:17 pm

Thanks!
Can I ask who you bought it through? I might get one just for experimenting. It looks like it's got some weight to it, so that would be a help. We need 63.5 MM to be perfect, but if nothing else works it might!
My Bull Ant chassis kit showed up on Monday, but I haven't had time to build it yet. The only critical thing will be if the trucks can swivel inside a narrow hood. We'll have about 13 MM inside space, so it will be tight!
Al
areibel

Postby CSD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:07 pm

areibel wrote:Thanks!
Can I ask who you bought it through? I might get one just for experimenting. It looks like it's got some weight to it, so that would be a help. We need 63.5 MM to be perfect, but if nothing else works it might!
My Bull Ant chassis kit showed up on Monday, but I haven't had time to build it yet. The only critical thing will be if the trucks can swivel inside a narrow hood. We'll have about 13 MM inside space, so it will be tight!
Al

Yes. I got it through this site here (http://www.hobby-shop.cz/sh/hled2.php?j ... 0&change=1). They will accept IBAN bank transfers or Western Union. PMT products are available at some other european shops, so you might want to check out the links page. Make sure to ask the shops if they will remove the 19% VAT. Another tangent to try might be to order gear towers, motors and trucks out of the Tillig spare parts catalogue. Recently my BR50 motor went kaput and I was able to get a replacement from the above store. The nice thing is that you can also get "replacement" parts strait from Tillig (they respond slowly to emails, but they do respond). Transferring money to them, however; may prove to be a pain in the Haggis as they only accept bank transfers. Can you send me the wheel spacings on the trucks? I can check my mechanisms and information for a possible match.

Mark
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:43 pm

areibel, can you post specific (to TT scale) dimensions of parts for the Geep that you're still on the hunt for?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:25 am

I'm starting to give some serious consideration to joining the society, even if the first two planned locomotives are way beyond my time frame (mid 1950s) - because I believe it a worthy cause, and I could build up a 38-2 in NdeM colours and make a little Mexican scene, or perhaps something on the Milwaukee, which is another interest of mine.

On the flip side, though, I would have some questions. The biggest being this: given that the first two planned locomotives are "modern" (I consider anything post-1960 to be modern), I conclude that if a freight car comes around to being produced, it would likely be something that would be out of my main time of interest.

So, while I think the idea of the society is great, and I would like to help, I can't justify such an expenditure if it will be producing results that I can't use; I have no interest in changing the area nor time of my modelling subject, namely Quebec in the mid 1950s.

Thus my question is, what likelihood is there that something more suitable for my chosen era would be produced (I'm thinking something like a Baldwin S2 for example, or an RDC)? Any at all, or is the endeavour intended just for bringing models of modern prototypes about?

This might seem perhaps a bit of a me-centric question, but I believe that if one is asked to give money for something, one has a right to ask what it will bring them. I'd be more than willing to support the Society, but I can justify it only if it will bring about something I can use, in the foreseeable future.

I'll leave it at just this one question for the moment, as I think any others would be dependent on the answers to this one.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:38 am

TTQuebec wrote:Thus my question is, what likelihood is there that something more suitable for my chosen era would be produced (I'm thinking something like a Baldwin S2 for example, or an RDC)? Any at all, or is the endeavour intended just for bringing models of modern prototypes about?

Welll, Anything for now is probably going to be post 1960, so I'll say no for the time being. Sorry! We just don't have the resources to do multiple projects with the number of members we have. When you refer to a Baldwin S2, do you mean an Alco S2? I've heard of Baldwin S12's, and the other s like the VO1000 but I'm not familiar with a Baldwin S2. THe Alco S2 and it's sister the S4 are distant possibilities, they were pretty common and a lot are still in use today on shortlines, but they wouldn't be in the pipeline anytime soon unless they're done as an etched kit similar to the SW1200. RDC's are an interesting project, I think one could be bashed from what's available out there already.

And ConducTTor, the only missing piece of the puzzle is a ceap and available power truck and motors that fit. For the power truck, the Tillig parts used in the PVM conversion are proven to work, The Bull Ant might but both have some draw backs. The TIllig parts can be difficult to obtain, sometimes there is a 4 to 6 month wait to get all the needed parts. And the Bull Ants are basically custom built to your spec, so a large order for say 50 units might take time too. I still need to send the one I have off to Mark, but I'm waiting on a few more parts from NWSL to send along. He'll be able to tell pretty quickly what the problems might be, and I'm hoping if there's anything big he can work right with Holywood to solve them. Motors, there are a couple small Mashima's that will fit, but I'd like to keep looking for something a little more powerful. All of the European Prototype stuff I've checked out has a big powerfull motor, with most of the loco designs being a cab style they are too fat to fit. It might come down to a pair of smaller motors to do the job, but that's what we're still working on!
Al
areibel

Postby Marquette » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:10 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I'll think on it some more, since the NdeM idea I had for the 38 is kinda tickling me. Though it's not the highest of my priorities. Even so, I hope the Society works out as planned, it would be a great boost to our scale!

Of course I meant Alco, but had been looking at photos of Baldwins, so had it on the brain.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:51 pm

What are the exact measurements you're looking for on the trucks?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:22 am

anything new with the gp38 project. havent heard anything on the topic in a while.
jmass

Postby areibel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:13 pm

Mark is soon to start work on it- we lagged a little getting ready to go, and he got a couple projects in ahead of ours that he has to finish before he starts the GP38-2 .
I'm waiting on some parts from NWSL to send along with the Bull Ant chassis kit, once he starts he'll need them to get the body to fit the chassis correctly. I've not said much because he can't promise a date, but I'm hoping soon! He had thought it would be 90-120 days, so I'm making a wild guess of March or April. As soon as we get the master I'll post a pic here to give everyone a look!
Al
areibel

Postby jmass » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:27 pm

thanks for the info al. looking foward to hearing the updates when they come. joe
jmass

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion