TT Scale Society

Re: TT Scale Society

Postby CSD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Alright, I think everyone has said their peace. Let's not hijack this good news.

The GP38-2 shell is here and it looks good!

If anyone has some ideas outside of what the TT Scale Society is offering, please start a new topic.

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:57 pm

areibel wrote:According to Wikpedia, the GP38 was from Jan 1966 util Dec 1971. the Dash 2's went from 1972 until July 1986!

in the middle of that there was the GP38AC which had some of the characteristics of both. a kind of transitional model. it's fairly hard to distinguish however. GM&O, the Frisco, L&N, N&W and SOU had most of them, and like the later GP38s, they had the distinctive boxy paper air filter. there's some data here.

one thing that later GP38-2s had which was particularly notable was an anti-climber on the front of the walkway, that stuck out in a rounded protrusion, and a noticeably longer nose, if I recall 88" rather than 81". also the paper air filter was angled down at the top corners. this TP&W unit is an example:

Postby areibel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:12 pm

That was one of the problems we had, deciding a "phase". Paper air filter or oil bath? Anticlimber or not? No dynamics, standard dynamics or extended range dynamics? There's actually quite a list of small differences so we picked a common one and went with it.
We also discussed making the shell with an interchangeable dynamic blister, but that would have raised both the complexity and cost. So it is what it is!

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:40 pm

LOL. that is one decision I do not envy you at all. at least EMD stayed mostly the same during its phases, within a set time period. Not every builder was so inclined. Baldwin changed the damn model design between each RR's order, and even, for the heck of it, in the middle of some orders. so, not only were locos like 'babyface' CNJ units incredibly rare, but the earlier ones in the order differed from the later ones.

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:40 am

"So it is what it is!'

I think you made a good decision on the configuration, it's easier to saw off and replace the dynamic brakes with some plastic sheet than it would be to create the dynamics from scratch, and an anti climber is relatively easy to make if anyone wants it. At this point in time I think people would just be happy to be able to get a recent era loco and would accept it no matter how it was detailed. The drive is gonna make or break it , the details can be changed if desired or just overlooked when it comes time to pull trains...DaveB

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:19 pm

areibel wrote:According to Wikpedia, the GP38 was from Jan 1966 util Dec 1971. the Dash 2's went from 1972 until July 1986!

Thanks for the info, Al. One day I'm going to remember to check Wikipedia myself!

With a construction end date of July 1986, this will indeed fit into the modern age. A beautiful shell that looks like it could be easily modified to accomodate the various phases. Possibly even a GP39!

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

GP39 is probably one of the easier hacks, actually. but no one much owned them except the C&O and Atlanta & St Andrews Bay. The 39-2 was more popular.

the 88" nose on the late units is probably the most difficult hack.

a nice thing with GP38 and 38-2s is that on some roads, they heralded an end to the austerity paint jobs of the 60s. TP&W, 'The Rock', LV and GM&O were among the very stylish paint schemes that departed from the past and took advantage of the loco's good looks.

but let's not forget Penn Central owned a bunch ...

Postby Marquette » Sun May 25, 2014 10:01 am

So is there any news on public availability? - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>

Postby Seppel307 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:57 pm

Good...Immediately to join :lol:

galaxy note 4 schutzhülle
Ein räudiges Schaf steckt die ganze Herde an. handyhülle iphone 6

Postby modorney » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 am

Is this still going strong? If so, I'll send in my 50 bucks.

Return to General Discussion