TT Scale Society

Re: TT Scale Society

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:51 am

so given it has been inspected and found accurate ... what is it? GP38 or GP38-2? I've seen both referred to. :wink:

on getting a mech done in the US, well, good luck on that ... this has been sought for a long time but either the skills to do it or the market just are not there. i do not think that is likely to change anytime soon. since most of hollywood's business is from overseas ... clearly even with the costs of postage added, it still is not worth anyone's while to provide such a product in the US.

time and time again i observe that 'loser' scales or modelling interests survive, where they do at all, by aftermarket adaptations, like australian N which still manages to field more RTR than American TT. but there seems to be a steep learning curve in understanding that. the two most common TT wheelbases can be had from Atlas HO trucks, oddly enough, but not without such an adaptation, which at the minimum would require a foldup etch for a narrower geartower, a smaller dia gear, a new worm and a set of wheels on stub axles.
Last edited by scaro on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby areibel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:04 am

It is a Dash 2, with the major differences being a water sight glass on the long hood on the right side (that I just realized there's not a pic of), and a few minor cab differences. Some minor sanding and filling would convert it to it's older sister. And I've been told (but haven't verified) that it is very close to a GP39-2 as well, the major difference being the exhaust stacks. The 38 has two , for the 29 there's one of a different style (turbo) but I don't think it would be hard to replicate. I think those Mattel toys had a turbo stack, I'll have to dig them out and look. It could be copied and added to the GP38-2 to convert it.
Time for more research!
areibel

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:26 am

December 1984 (?) Model Railroader, there's an article on modelling the GP39-2. It may have been that one, or a later one, but in one MR article they focussed on modelling the units that the D&H picked up from the Reading, three ATSF variants and a BN one. (edit, it was June '87 MR) There were a few variations like extended range dynamic braking and the type of fans used but a GP38-2 is an ideal basis for doing a 39. I assume (though I cannot remember) but the GP39-2 may have less big hood doors because it has a 12 cyl turbocharged engine instead of a 16 cyl normally aspirated one.

Ben
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:11 pm

"on getting a mech done in the US, well, good luck on that ... this has been sought for a long time but either the skills to do it or the market just are not there."

There's no reason a US based company can't build a drive as easily as a foreign based company. This is not hi tech stuff, it's mostly about assembling stock parts into a working model. The drive could be assembled in china or anywhere and still be sold from the US. If you want TT to grow in the US you gotta provide easy access to TT trains like Saz model is doing . The thing that should be done now is a line of flextrack and basic turnouts so new modelers can get into TT without having to build their own track or try to buy it from overseas from companies that have little interest in selling it to us. It's not a question of lack of market demand it's a question of lack of supply. I'm an experienced modeler and I'm still having trouble justifying building my new layout in TT scale simply because it is so much easier to do it in HO or even S scales given the TT scale supply chain, so imagine how a less experienced modeler would view TT scale? The average US modeler doesn't care what is going on in Europe or Russia or Asia, they just want to know what they can get here with 3 day priority mail delivery and a local chain of knowledge,advice, and support. Offer them flextrack and they'll be flocking to buy SW9's to run on it and come up with a reliable drive for the GP38-2 and they'll buy it next. Look at the popularity of HOn3 which is near the size of TT standard gauge but without all the neat standard gauge prototypes to add to the stable. If Blackstone was building TT scale instead of HOn3 we wouldn't need to be having this conversation as TT scale would be rocking and rolling. .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:46 pm

that's only half the argument. mechs are done, for scales HO and above. but a scale with about 25 active modellers doesn't qualify as a market.

my guess is, the US had very little diesel era narrow gauge, so the incentive to slim and shorten mechs for something like TT isn't there.

in australia, where hollywood is, there has been little choice other than to solve these issues; modelling HO there necessitates getting around the hurdles of 12mm gauge. about half the track is 3'6.

if you're an average modeller in the US, you certainly aren't modelling TT, so how is that relevant?

if blackstone = if atlas = if bachmann.

if = whole lot of nothing.
scaro

Postby MacG » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm

A very nice shell!
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

"f you're an average modeller in the US, you certainly aren't modelling TT, so how is that relevant?

if = whole lot of nothing."

It's relevant because the average modeler could be modeling in TT scale if there was enough product to buy. Reverse the supply of TT and N scales and there'd be 25 N scale modelers and thousands of TT scale modelers. If Bachman was building TT scale instead of On30 there'd be 25 On30 modelers and many more TT modelers. People can only buy what is offered for sale, they must compromise if what they want is not offered. given an equal supply of models TT modelers numbers would match up equally with the other mainstream scales. If you really believe TT is so unattractive to the average modeler why are you into it? ..DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02 pm

A very nice shell and etched details. What are the prototype years for the GP38, GP38-2 :?:
milwrd1

Postby areibel » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:51 pm

According to Wikpedia, the GP38 was from Jan 1966 util Dec 1971. the Dash 2's went from 1972 until July 1986!
areibel

Postby scaro » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:55 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"f you're an average modeller in the US, you certainly aren't modelling TT, so how is that relevant?

if = whole lot of nothing."

It's relevant because the average modeler could be modeling in TT scale if there was enough product to buy. Reverse the supply of TT and N scales and there'd be 25 N scale modelers and thousands of TT scale modelers. If Bachman was building TT scale instead of On30 there'd be 25 On30 modelers and many more TT modelers. People can only buy what is offered for sale, they must compromise if what they want is not offered. given an equal supply of models TT modelers numbers would match up equally with the other mainstream scales. If you really believe TT is so unattractive to the average modeler why are you into it? ..DaveB

Sigh. I can't even conceive of a world where statements like 'Reverse the supply of TT and N scales and there'd be 25 N scale modelers and thousands of TT scale modelers.' make even the slightest bit of sense. This is a world unrelated to the one that exists. And I'm puzzled that you have no reason why anyone should do this.

I am into TT because *I* like it. I do not care what the average modeller wants. I don't talk about having a hard time 'justifying' modelling TT because I am not in it to please anyone.

Everytime you go down this path, there seems to be an implied complaint that other people have to do things to keep you in TT, or that it's someone else's fault that a big manufacturer isn't supporting the scale.

There is no hierarchy in TT. The 'someone' who should approach that big manufacturer with the 'throw out your 40 years of N scale dies and expertise and start afresh in TT' pitch is you.

But ... when they say 'That's nice, why do you think we should do that?' what is your follow up line likely to be?
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion