TT Scale Society

Re: TT Scale Society

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:21 pm

jmass wrote:i see we have a mad rush of people joining up at tt scale society. kinda disapointing, but maby it will pick up.

A month after I started this forum I asked the then current members if they felt I should keep it going (there were about 15 - 20 registered members). Today (about two and a half months later) we have 50 registered members, multiple daily posts and new topics on an almost daily basis. Nothing good happens overnight. Give it time.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

i am glad you kept the site going, it is a damn good site, and your absolutly right, got to give it more time. nuttin good comes overnight!
jmass

Postby areibel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:03 pm

I am a little disappointed too, there wasn't a rush but there have been new members coming on board. We're at 16 or 17, so it's happening. Kudos to ConducTTor, most of the new members have from this board! He wins the "Best TT Promoter" prize!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:49 pm

areibel wrote:......the "Best TT Promoter" prize!

Did you happen to catch some of my "promotions" of this board on Ebay? I felt a bit evil geniusy for that :twisted:

BTW, I posted a link to the yahoo group and to this thread on the German [url]tt-board.de[/url] several days ago. I was hoping that would create some traffic / interest in the group but so far I haven't seen anything :( Still waiting on my registration to be approved on the Market Maket forum.....
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:06 am

It is difficult to know where to take the news of the Society in some respects.

I have posted on the Atlas N Forum as there are at least a few there who say they'd jump at the chance to move to TT but my experience is that many of them expect an entire range of products laid out and available before they will make that jump. This is obviously not realistic . . . but unfortunately every discussion on TT there ends up with one or more nonsensical 'request lists' for what 'ought' to be available in US TT, in some fantasy world totally unconnected with the real one.

Nonetheless the forum is at least friendly to TT in the main.

Scale Rails Online has a dedicated TT forum but it is inactive. Trainboard has a general 'Inspection PIt' forum but I don't think it's very friendly to TT.

Maybe NZ120.org should be the next place to take the news? I wonder how many NZ TT modellers would also like to have US models in the scale?

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:16 am

Exposure is good. You never know who may be interested in what you have to say.

To the 'TTin the US' naysayers,

we're coming. :twisted:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 am

Nice loco. Is it popular in the USA?

What will be the price?

I prefer not a kit but ready-to-run models. Is it possibe?
Arseny

Postby areibel » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:25 pm

The models won't be ready to run, at least for now. We will produce the shell, etched detail parts and the sideframes. I don't know what a cost will be, I need to coordinate with the guy making the master and contact a few different casters to get an estimate. The easiest power chassis looks to be the Bull Ant, for now. In the past there have been a few TT'ers that were willing to build and paint models for a fee, like the Lionel conversions. Anyone that's a little creative might look at a Piko Hercules, the chassis and truck wheelbases are very close to the GP38-2 and it's DCC ready but you need to do some engineering.
We are deliberately not making a big push yet, strange as it sounds. We're making ourselves know to the existing TT community, but not really to the mainstream model railroaders. It might sound a little crazy, but I want to have a product in hand before I really start making some noise. TT has always had a bad reputation for NOT producing what was promised, from the most recent (Prototype Models CA) back through Dick Taylor's Rail Tech in the 90's and even back into the 50's and 60's. Not gonna happen again. I don't want those naysayers laughing about TT falling on it's face yet again.
We might only have the resources to do one for now but when we do it things will get easier. For example, the first master is going to cost $2100. That's for the complete master, the artwork for the etches, etc.. That's where my magic number of 40 members comes from- $50 a pop times 40 members, we're real close. There are more non- internet members coming on board, so we're over half way now, and it will happen! The good news is once once the basic set up work is completed for the GP38 shell, a similar shell will cost us $900. That would include a GP40-2 or a GP39-2. The GP38-2 was the most popular 4 axle locomotive produced, but the GP40 was popular too. And freight car masters are anywhere between $500 and $1000, depending on what we want. The worst is first, once we're established with one model we move onward and upward.
And I'll let you in on on my secret dream. We turn out a beautiful shell, nicely detailed with etched walkways, fan grills, etc- rivalling almost any of the current HO crop. We send one to Tillig or Piko or Mehano, maybe we could convince one of them to turn out a chassis or even supply them shells- then we can talk about ready to run and factory paint! That's how the FP7 was done, I'd love to know how many sold. And that was at prices that would have bought two new HO Atherns with DCC and sound. A Hercules chassis cost me about $80 with shipping and it came from England. If Piko could make a different cast chassis, and use a different motor to fit in the hood- Possibilities!
areibel

Postby Arseny » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:04 am

А few words about freight cars: if you want to sell more of them, I think, it would be interesting for Russian to get cars that were supplied under Lend-Lease program during the World War II

What is "Bull Ant"? Sorry, I did't understand...
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:22 am

Arseny, the BullAnt is a powered bogie. Here is an example http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/Major.htm
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion