TT scale Navy yard

TT scale Navy yard

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

Doing some historical research, I have found a model kit that has started me thinking about an idea that I have been toying with for my TT scale modules and layouts.

During a pre-surgery scan that I had done a few weeks ago at the Fargo VA clinic, Nicholle found an ad in a Veterans Affairs magazine for various US Navy model kits that she brought to my attention, of which she found a model kit of a WWII destroyer that is almost TT scale.

There is a 1:125 scale Fletcher-Class Destroyer kit made by Lindberg Models, which would work as part of a pier-side diorama.The Fletchers were 376.5' long so a 1:120 model would be 37.65" long, which is a decent size model to have on display. The 1:125 model Fletcher is around 3' long, so the discrepancy is not an issue, in my opinion.

Considering that I want to build a 1:120 model of my old boat, the USS Annapolis (SSN-760), this would be a good accompaniment project.

Considering that the Annapolis is 363' overall and 33' wide, that would yield a model 36.3" long and 3.3" wide, however, the plans are for waterline models, which would make the modeling simpler, and a little shorter, as the first 10' and the last 12' are mostly underwater when the Annapolis is on even keel and surfaced. (Then again, I could just model some water, and say that the Annapolis is there, and modeled, but just submerged.) :lol:

This also would be a good excuse to put Lindsey to work on a dedicated spur line, with one of our 4 wheel diesels to help as well.

I know that a Fletcher-Class Destroyer (Active in the US Navy from 1942 to 1971) moored next to a Los Angeles-Class (third flight) submarine (Active 1988 - Present) is a bit of anachronism, but I think it would be fun to do. Plus, I can work on it one-thing-at-a-time, and when everything is settled, put it all together.

Any comments, ideas, or suggestions?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: TT scale Navy yard

Postby Arseny » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:09 am

I think it is a great idea, but I'm afraid you need a lot of space for such layout.

Maybe try something smaller? For example you can use Revell 05101 "OCEAN EXPLORATION VESSEL"
It is a former British minesweeper, so you can build and use it just as minesweeper.

80-5101-lg.jpg

Also look here:
http://www.maketmarket.ru/forum/index.php?topic=3287.0

For vehicles on the military/navy base of 1940s you can use Mini-Thing's Chevrolet Fleetline, painted in "military" colors (it started in 1940), and also Flames Of War's "15mm" wargame military vehicles - Jeep, Dodge, GMC truck...
They are a little bit rough, but I think they will work if you paint them well.

Or try to find Noch 35710 or 35750 (tugboats), Noch 35730 (barge), Noch 35740 (tanker), Noch 35720 (barge)
Arseny

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:57 pm

I am aware of the size involved. Said diorama would be around 4' x 3', if I were to have the pier(s) at a 30' angle. It is also possible to have the pier parralel to the rest of the layout.

With the ability to run tracks down the pier, that would also give us a purpose for part of the layout.

I do plan on setting aside a fairly large area, like a basement or attic, for my permanent layout. Right now I have to do things that can be combined into the "real" layout in the future.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:38 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:I do plan on setting aside a fairly large area, like a basement or attic, for my permanent layout. Right now I have to do things that can be combined into the "real" layout in the future.

Don't let him confuse ANYONE. He has looked into houses that have big bedrooms next to each other, with the idea of putting tunnels in the walls. What can I say, he warned me about his obsession with trains when we first met back in 1997.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConnRiver » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:23 pm

A former sailor, living in North Dakota? Really? <g>

> I know that a Fletcher-Class Destroyer (Active in the US Navy from 1942 to 1971) moored next to a Los Angeles-Class (third flight) submarine (Active 1988 - Present) is a bit of anachronism, but I think it would be fun to do. Plus, I can work on it one-thing-at-a-time, and when everything is settled, put it all together. <

My first thought was that the destroyer could be a museum ship, but then a warship visited by the public wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a sub base, correct? Security? How about the Fletcher DD as a museum ship docked permanently at a museum pier, and on the other side of the pier (perpendicular to the shore) the Annapolis is tied up for a public open house? (I don't suppose an SSBN has ever hosted such an event? How about an SSN?)

This idea comes from preparations being made at San Pedro (LA area) to receive USS Iowa (BB61), now at Richmond, Calif., where it's being buffed up (boy, did Iowa need painting!), for a public feting the July 4th week. If you're interested, I believe I can easily find the pier photos online (search: "USS Iowa San Pedro", maybe?).

I've toyed with the idea of building a TT scale BB61 (887 feet translates to 7'-4" TT feet). I saved an online map of the New York Navy Yard, where Iowa and Missouri were built. Lots of photos and information about the yard's rail operations can be found online. What a neat track area, with the Manhattan skyline across the East River as a backdrop:
http://members.trainweb.com/bedt/milrr/BNYMap.html

Was/is dockside trackage common when ships put into port? Here's a photo of Iowa at Hampton Roads in 1985. Tracks are visible in the first two photos (click to enlarge):
http://hamptonroadsnavalmuseum.blogspot ... ber-4.html

An interesting video (even a submariner might think so). The UP railroad bridge was built in 1931:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li6MUjuZ088

-Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:16 am

ConnRiver wrote:A former sailor, living in North Dakota? Really? <g>

He spent 12 years of his childhood in North Dakota. When he was forced out for medical reasons, we moved back, mainly because of the high rated VA hospital in Fargo, which has taken good care of him so far, especially with the entire tumor incident.

ConnRiver wrote: the Annapolis is tied up for a public open house? (I don't suppose an SSBN has ever hosted such an event? How about an SSN?)

The Annapolis did an "Open House" of sorts a few years ago, when she steamed down to Annapolis, MD (The boat's namesake city) for a "Homecoming" and to watch a Naval Academy football game. Although, she was not able to dock, due to her draft and the lack of proper mooring facilities for a submarine. She did allow visitors on board to view the forward section (basically everything aside from the engine room)

An idea that he came up with to get around the "anachronism" is to instead build models of subs that were around in the 1960s. The idea pitched last night was to build models of the USS Thresher (SSN-593) which was lost in 1963, and the USS Scorpion (SSN-589), which was lost in 1968, both as memorials to the lost subs and crews.

The Fletcher Class model is likely to be of the USS Johnston (DD-557), which sacrificed itself to save thousands of others during the Battle off Samar in WWII.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:02 am

Well, keep in mind that we have a lot of bandwidth in this hobby - you can freelance to your heart's content. So just do what you want to do.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:42 pm

CaTTwoman281 wrote:He spent 12 years of his childhood in North Dakota. When he was forced out for medical reasons, we moved back, mainly because of the high rated VA hospital in Fargo, which has taken good care of him so far, especially with the entire tumor incident.

Hi, CaTTwoman281, that explains it. Returning to his roots. It's good to hear the VA hospital treated AS well. I could never understand why this country would not offer the best of care to its front-line warriors. There was a time, correct? . . .

ConnRiver wrote: the Annapolis is tied up for a public open house? (I don't suppose an SSBN has ever hosted such an event? How about an SSN?)

CaTTwoman281 wrote: (The Annapolis) was not able to dock, due to her draft and the lack of proper mooring facilities for a submarine. She did allow visitors on board. . . .

What does an SSN draw? In another video of USS Iowa's removal last fall from Suisun Bay (just east of San Francisco), engineers explain the route had to be carefully mapped and timed to ride the tide and still get under the bridges; at times there was no more than 8"-10" under the hull. Iowa rides high now because she doesn't carry sailors, shells, fuel (capacity: 3-1/2 Olympic swimming pools), stores. Full draft is 38 feet, iirc. I suppose to AS, the Iowa looks like no more than a juicy morsel ripe for targeting. <g>

Fascinating:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzcxPO6NYBg

CaTTwoman281 wrote: An idea that he came up with to get around the "anachronism" is to instead build models of subs that were around in the 1960s. The idea pitched last night was to build models of the USS Thresher (SSN-593) which was lost in 1963, and the USS Scorpion (SSN-589), which was lost in 1968, both as memorials to the lost subs and crews.

I have a clear memory of the Thresher reporting (April, iirc), and then seven months later, Dallas. It was a traumatic year for an adolescent just becoming sensitive to events on the larger stage of nation and world. While Dallas was shocking, Thresher was frightening.

CaTTwoman281 wrote: The Fletcher Class model is likely to be of the USS Johnston (DD-557), which sacrificed itself to save thousands of others during the Battle off Samar in WWII.

Just now I googled "Fletcher Class" and "USS Johnston." Wow. Johnston was that DD! I've read an account about Adm. Halsey falling for an IJN feint (Iowa and Yamato narrowly missed encountering one another), leaving the baby carriers vulnerable during the Battle of Leyte Gulf (the largest naval battle of all time, October 1944), of which the Samar action was a part. Occasionally, since reading some time ago about Skipper Evans' incredible actions that day, an image pops to mind of the Johnston and its captain intrepidly speeding toward the IJN fleet.

I see that three Fletcher-Class DDs are preserved at U.S. sites as museum ships. One is the USS Sullivans, in Buffalo, NY. I've seen her a number of times. I did not realize she was a Fletcher. I'm a native of Waterloo, Iowa, where the Sullivans were born and raised, and live nearby now. My Dad knew the Sullivan boys, but not well.

Best wishes to you and AS as you pursue this TT scale project. I, for one, am eager to see photos as you progress.

I take it the airhorns are salutes from nearby ships?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GMpOG_lfws

I'm excited Iowa is soon to become a teaching museum in the Los Angeles area. I'll stop now (finally).

-Brian Chapman
Evansdale, Iowa

For Thresher's, Scorpion's, and Iowa's sailors who lost their lives at sea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdM_rnzfY6Q
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby General Trainnut 46 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:33 pm

A few items to tack on. There are several near 1/120 ship models available the last two years. Lindberg continues to expand their line of larger ship models; the landing ship and minesweeper are available again as well the Fletcher class destroyer. Revell has a 1/108 tugboat that is a good match and Lindberg a 1/95 lightship. If you like 1/1 the original is available for 6 ¼ million: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1950/NA ... co--_jn8dU
The scientific ship from Lindbergh is still available and kits in near HO worth kit bashing like the 1/90 North Sea trawler. I don’t want to point towards a particular vendor but type “1/120 ships” in your search bar and an endless array (of dealers) will appear. Foreign availability requires a safe means of paying; I used international money orders years ago but would prefer a paypal compatible store today.
Don’t miss out on the train variety including TTn3 and HOn30 in Europe and Australia. Some 3mm is close but a state of the art 12mm gauge drive would be nice. Running scale body shells on spectrum N chassis has possibilities (like On30 for HO) which is popular in Australia. I still like E scale for that, 1/100 sits right in the middle for those who love a challenge. Has anybody machined axles to regauge popular N gauge mechanisms? There is a business opportunity for old automatic screw machines; it might also require machining clearance for scale diameter wheels.

GTN 46
General Trainnut 46

Postby Arseny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:08 am

Several days ago I discovered the model of the "Admiral Spee" battleship on Ebay.
It was 1:128. 1.5 meters long... :)
Arseny

Next

Return to General Discussion